• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Donkey Kong in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Donkey Kong from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Best thing I love about DK is how his up-B looks now. Something seemed different about his Side-B as well. Either way, I will be maining my fav monkey to avenge his lack of use at the invitational yesterday. #Revengeoftheape

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i got 2 mins on the wii and 3ds. i didnt get to mess around too much since items are on, its 4 players, and i had to use wii u pro

forgot to use his dash attack, because im so used to not using it. i suck
upb animation is cool
DK still falls on his back if upb isnt perfect
down b has a new animation. same deal though
down b can be used in the air. its laggy afterwards

bair has a new animation, very similar though, and short hop double bair is still in
fair, dair, uair, ftilt, dtilt, etc all the same to maybe the exact frame. again keep in mind i got 2 mins with items on in 4 player and **** but honestly dk seems nearly EXACTLY the same. which is going to be rough unless he gets more super armor

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Courtesy of @Croi :

Donkey Kong:
He's ****ING MASSIVE. Larger than Bowser by a decent margin. His bigger body is possibly a buff for singles (longer range) but a detriment to doubles. (Probably like 20-30% bigger)
Recovery feels buffed vertically and horizontally, but is slower.
Dsmash is faster but is possibly weaker.
Punch has a weird charging animation; possibly a shorter range?
Aerial down+b confirmed. Spikes softly but is faster than dair.
Fair frames feel buffed slightly.
Ground Pound still has silly range.
Dash attack acts like it does in P:M, but is slower.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yeah... I wonder if DK really is physically bigger? Either way, he is huge in this game.

I noticed a lot of the things @ Raziek Raziek quoted, but didn't catch all those. The dash attack is nice, since it makes DK smaller and seems like a decent attack, but it is way too slow. It should be about twice as fast if it were going to mirror the DKC games. Still, doing damage while shrinking your hurtbox has to count for something. I dunno. Momentum-wise, I think the dash attack looks realistic, but realistic in a game isn't always best.

And yeah, DK plays really similarly to his past iterations.

Didn't hit anyone with aerial down B, but it is a downward double clap.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I really like the change to Donkey Kong's final smash. It is still the same, except this time, a line of notes appear above him, making it MUCH easier to keep to the beat. To see it, watch the following video at 1:40.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I really like the change to Donkey Kong's final smash. It is still the same, except this time, a line of notes appear above him, making it MUCH easier to keep to the beat. To see it, watch the following video at 1:40.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed it hasn't changed. Even if it's easier, there's so much more DK could do.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Holy cow! The FS got so much better, the visual cues are nice.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
At 1:10 in that video, you can hear someone in the background saying "donkey kong sucks" lol

He looks pretty cool though. Every move looks like where it should be. bair looked good, nair looked alright, ftilt looked good, down-b looked solid. Pretty much lookin a lot like brawl DK with some subtle changes. That up-b out of shield looked slower than brawl, but the fair looks better/faster. Definitely going to give him a try on saturday

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
just spent 3 hours at nintendo world. played a bunch of matches with dk and mega man, won all but 1 with DK. got about 5 or 6 games with him

its brawl DK, with a new dash attack and grounded up B. i cant comment on if stuff is weaker or stronger, but just playing and eyeing it i dont feel that any move is significantly faster or shorter. some moves have new animations, down b and bair, but everything seems the same. still has big landing lag from dair and fair. nair isnt useful like it is in PM

i didnt get to mess around with the mega punch since its 4 players with items and i couldnt get it charged most of the time. but i can report two things: it takes 11 winds to charge this time, and you still fall helplessly after the punch. but its not immediate, so you may be able cancel the helpless landing lag by not jumping too high

the biggest change i found is that a down throw out of a cargo no longer sends them horizontally for an easy toss of the stage to set up gimp/easy walk off kill :/ instead it sends them directly downwards. the forward throw acts like the forward throw in brawl, diagonally upwards

but this new throw might work out, cargo dthrow off stage/jumping dair will catch some people now and then. i dont think i like the change though. unless it has a really high knockback or stun, then a grab at the edge will mean death

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
oh, another thing im VERY HAPPY to report. the music was low and everyone is screaming. but the king has his monster voice. his feral growls and grunts that make him sound like a badass. there was no handicapped scooby doo sounds for him :) even on his win screen

Luigi player

Smash Master
The dash attack is nice, since it makes DK smaller and seems like a decent attack, but it is way too slow. It should be about twice as fast if it were going to mirror the DKC games. Still, doing damage while shrinking your hurtbox has to count for something. I dunno. Momentum-wise, I think the dash attack looks realistic, but realistic in a game isn't always best.
I read this a few times now, but what exactly do you mean with slow? Slow moving, or long startup until a hurtbox appears (or both)?

edit: oh my god, looking at the video, DKs fair looks SO much faster than in Brawl, it'll actually be useable not only once in a blue moon. This is awesome!

Does anyone know if DK can move backwards during his grounded upB?

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I read this a few times now, but what exactly do you mean with slow? Slow moving, or long startup until a hurtbox appears (or both)?

edit: oh my god, looking at the video, DKs fair looks SO much faster than in Brawl, it'll actually be useable not only once in a blue moon. This is awesome!

Does anyone know if DK can move backwards during his grounded upB?
The speed at which you move forward while rolling. It starts up quickly enough to have some good uses, I just don't think it's going to be used for closing gaps against characters with good ground games. I kinda wanted it to be another approach tool, besides the SH double Bair, which I was told is back in. I didn't try to go for double Bair, myself.

Fair is faster, but it still has the iconic (and awkward) windup, so you still have to use it a little ahead of when you'll actually need it, same as always.

I never tried to go backwards with grounded Up B, but I will check it out on Saturday! That's actually something I wanted to try that I thought about after leaving Best Buy. The hitbox for grounded Up B seems to heavily favor DK's facing direction, so I'm not sure what to expect. I didn't manage to land the first hit of the move on anyone, either. You know, like how the starting hit of Spinning Kong acted like a moderately powerful punch? Not sure if that's back or not.

I also really want to try and spam the aerial Down B, to see what it can do. I only ever used it on the 3DS version, since that was single-player and much more controlled. To me it looked like a clap, not a slap, but it might have been the tiny screen... or maybe the different versions are akin to the Custom Moves - one for WiiU and one for 3DS? Seems unlikely. Guess I'll see.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
you cant go backwards with up b

and yea, the up b has knockback in the first few frames. not melee level though

i might go back again tomorrow. if i do im gonna mess with the down cargo and the down b aerial slap. i brushed it off since it was a little laggy/not used to it

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
you cant go backwards with up b

and yea, the up b has knockback in the first few frames. not melee level though

i might go back again tomorrow. if i do im gonna mess with the down cargo and the down b aerial slap. i brushed it off since it was a little laggy/not used to it
Tomorrow? I thought it was only yesterday and Saturday?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
ive been playing in NYC. nintendo world has it until sunday. much quicker lines. more games. i played like 12 games in 3 hours

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
ive been playing in NYC. nintendo world has it until sunday. much quicker lines. more games. i played like 12 games in 3 hours
Wow. I waited over three hours to play two games back-to-back, like most demo people. Some people waited FIVE HOURS ;_;

Saturday will be even worse! I'll have to show up at LEAST at Best Buy's opening to play more than once that day. Not sure I have that much dedication... playing once on Saturday might be enough...

Also, I notice you, @ Toph_87 Toph_87 and I share some liked characters. Interesting.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i wouldnt even bother going on a saturday, it will be nuts. you will probably only get 1 game and not 2

lol havent noticed toph, but did with you for a few weeks now. DK and mewtwo is such a great oddball couple. mewtwo was my number 1, with krool ridley and megaman right behind

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
DK is amazing. His up-air is even quicker and the hitbox feels nice. Bair and nair are useful tools. The up B is surprisingly good in the air.

People really need to start treating him like his melee counterpart. I've found Up cargo -> uair gaurenteed vs all the chars i tried. I even got some cargo's into fair... which brings me into my biggest complaint. For a bigass Donkey, his moves don't kill very well

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Brawl, DK had no trouble killing opponents. I think it has been mentoined before that the knockback ratio isn't finished yet. So moves have random knockback on impact, regardless of %. I've only read this, didn't play the games myself.

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
Really big thing for me was his grab animation was changed. Instead of what it used to be, it kind of looks like a jab. Threw me off quite at bit as I thought I was jabbing and not grabbing.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
i wouldnt even bother going on a saturday, it will be nuts. you will probably only get 1 game and not 2

lol havent noticed toph, but did with you for a few weeks now. DK and mewtwo is such a great oddball couple. mewtwo was my number 1, with krool ridley and megaman right behind
Oh you guys do have a point. In melee my top 3 favorites were Luigi, DK and Mewtwo...
Hah I also used DK and Mewtwo as my mains in Melee! :laugh: Great taste you guys have. And yes, even though it's an oddball combination, it's a very effective one I always felt! At least, for low tiers...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
DK is amazing. His up-air is even quicker and the hitbox feels nice. Bair and nair are useful tools. The up B is surprisingly good in the air.

People really need to start treating him like his melee counterpart. I've found Up cargo -> uair gaurenteed vs all the chars i tried. I even got some cargo's into fair... which brings me into my biggest complaint. For a bigass Donkey, his moves don't kill very well
Glad you found these combos! I hope they make it into the final build of the game. As for his killing power I didn't have any trouble, I felt like I was blasting away people left and right. Though like Brawl everyone does live at higher percents.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Glad you found these combos! I hope they make it into the final build of the game. As for his killing power I didn't have any trouble, I felt like I was blasting away people left and right. Though like Brawl everyone does live at higher percents.
A general complaint was too much lag after throwing someone in Smash4. This is not the case with DK's cargo. Also, you can't quickly mash out of the cargo like you could in Brawl! I'm glad this thing is useful again.

I don't see this changing, if anything his amazing ground pound range might get worse xD. Also out of his 4 meteors, his forward air seems brutalll. It might be a true spike!

kylexv

Smash Master
Picked random and got him. One thing to note: Vertical Recovery is HORRIBLE.

You know what's ironic? The line on Wed. was two hours and on Sat. one hour.

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
Bowser can't do it. :(

If he could, maybe it would have been useful for stealing the edge from someone. Who knows? It wouldn't be very useful for edgehogging anymore though.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm at the Smash tournament now. I don't have a video but tested this myself, short hop back air, into reverse Donkey Punch is still in.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So during the tournament the match I lost on ended with a 1 stock VS 1 stock of me and Larry. I didn't understand the roll attacks properties until after the tournament though. It's not simply a different animation to the kick as I once thought but the roll actually pushes the enemy forward which makes a heck of a difference.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
DK feels good, but I can't believe they didn't fix his atrocious final smash. It's going to be useless online. :/

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Was anybody able to Up-B off the edge of the stage? Seems like Bowser wasn't able to.
DK's grounded up-b has a new unique property when you try to move forward with it, so if it is possible to do that then it's going to take some more exploring cause as of right now it's not looking doable.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Bowser can't do it. :(

If he could, maybe it would have been useful for stealing the edge from someone. Who knows? It wouldn't be very useful for edgehogging anymore though.
You can't edgehog in this game anymore period. You'll get the edge swiped from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom