• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best button and stick layout for the Pro controller

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I just got the Switch Smash edition pro controller because it looks really cool and I don’t have a pro controller yet and while I didn’t get it specifically for smash I definitely wanna try it out. For anybody who uses the pro controller what’s a good button layout? I feel like if I use Y to jump it’s too close to the stick especially for short hopping and I wanna know if anybody has found the optimal way to configure it

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Well the standard layout is pretty good. The only thing I would really recommend is changing the right stick to Tilt instead of Smash. I also changed L to jump but I only use it in certain situations. You should be using X to jump almost exclusively, only using Y when you need to do a jump into a special attack.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Well the standard layout is pretty good. The only thing I would really recommend is changing the right stick to Tilt instead of Smash. I also changed L to jump but I only use it in certain situations. You should be using X to jump almost exclusively, only using Y when you need to do a jump into a special attack.
Thanks! I was thinking of using b to jump since it’s so close to the stick it seems easy to do short hop aerials that way but I definitely wouldn’t be used to that coming from a GC controller

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I think its alot easier to shorthop with a GC controlelr (not the auto short hop where you press the attack button and jump at the same time).

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think its alot easier to shorthop with a GC controlelr (not the auto short hop where you press the attack button and jump at the same time).
If that’s true that might stop me from using the pro controller. That’s something that’s non negotiable. I hope it’s not because I really like the way the pro controller feels in my hands but if it’s hard to short hop then I’m definitely not using it

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
If that’s true that might stop me from using the pro controller. That’s something that’s non negotiable. I hope it’s not because I really like the way the pro controller feels in my hands but if it’s hard to short hop then I’m definitely not using it
I mean like you can do it on the pro controller but its definitely more difficult.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I mean like you can do it on the pro controller but its definitely more difficult.
Ok so I just played with the pro controller and it is harder to short hop but not by much really. Overall this controller feels super nice and precise for smash. I never thought I’d use anything other than a GameCube controller but I’m considering using the pro. It’s a really nice controller

xSGD23x

Smash Rookie
I changed the C stick to Tilt and L to jump as most seem to do. It has helped me a lot being a newer player. I have not played Smash since the GC days.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Short hopping is fine on the Pro Controller. I think the GC controller is slightly easier because you can slide your thumb off the right side of the jump button. Other than that though there is no difference.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Short hopping is fine on the Pro Controller. I think the GC controller is slightly easier because you can slide your thumb off the right side of the jump button. Other than that though there is no difference.
Yeah I’ve kind of been using the tip of my thumb to slide my finger off of the X button on the pro controller when short hopping so it’s pretty much the same as when I do it with my GameCube controller, just a little more precise. I don’t know if I’m gonna stick with the pro controller but right now it feels more responsive to me but I probably just need a new GC controller. All in all whether I stick with it or not I’m pleasantly surprised with it and it’s always a good option for when I have friends over who refuse to play with anything but a GC controller

Top Bottom