• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Audio Player?

Sensai

Smash Master
What do you guys think the best audio player is?

I'm kinda tethered to iTunes 'cause I have an iPod...but I'd love to use something that ISN'T a resource hog to do the listening.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i love foobar, you can pretty much customize anything you want to in it. Although i am on a mac i still use foobar via crossover. I found that there are some very dodgy plugins for itunes and it is too bulky.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
iTunes has a lot going for it. I really like the layout and control scheme, and that it works seamlessly with my iPod (obviously...), but it does use a lot of resources.

I use Rhythmbox, and it works well enough for me. But I think I've already mentioned that in the operating systems thread. Oh, and one feature of Rhythmbox that I really like is that it can display what song it's playing in Conky, which is very cool. Saves mouse movement when I just want to see what's playing.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I have to agree with Mugguomp, I personally use rhythmbox and find it very good, doesn't use many resources. Probably a good one to start off with if you can't find any others.

Matux

Smash Apprentice
Wait for amaroK atm only for Linux but it should be released this month for windows too. as freeware. its like i-tunes but mutch better.

Sensai

Smash Master
Woah woah woah....amaroK is going to Windows? Huh.

Sadly, Siddhartha, not all of us have that option. Even if I did, I wouldn't have a decent enough set of speakers or decent enough sound system to notice any difference.

Concerning Linux audio players, I've tested all of the major ones for the GNOME environment and found that, like you guys said, Rhythmbox is my favorite. Exaile just wasn't doing it for me (the layout was not what I wanted). Audacious was cool for a bit, but I wanted something to go through and manually choose songs with, something I found hard to do with Audacious. Banshee WOULD have been fine, except it took too **** long to load up all my songs (~11,000). Rhythmbox beat it in that area, and thus won the grand prize.

I did NOT try Songbird, although I plan on it when I get home from my current trip.

As for Windows based players, I plan on experimenting a little bit. I've got Songbird, Winamp, foobar, and iTunes all currently installed. Any other suggestions?

Top Bottom