• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best And Worst Matchups

Hailzeon0079

Smash Cadet
I might try to learn Ike when I get the game and I want to know about him, so anyone want to give me his best and worst matchups so far?

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
I might try to learn Ike when I get the game and I want to know about him, so anyone want to give me his best and worst matchups so far?
Till right now, the only thing i have heard is that Snake can gay Ike pretty easily. Im not sure how Snake does it but thats just what ive heard. Other than that ive seen Ike wreck almost every character. As long as your skill is better than the opponent you should be in the clear.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Fast, projectile-happy characters can be a problem.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
If you hit someone with the fsmash, your opponent is horrible. >_>

All the tricks you want won't set up the fsmash against a good player. It's like trying to set up the Warlock Punch against a pro player in Melee. If they're good, it just won't happen.

Famous

Smash Champion
Well from what I've experienced Mario is still a Fox and Falco killer. He's also a good counterpic for Wolf and Sonic since his Down Smash and Bair has higher priority..Scrath that, Mario is a good counterpic for almost any character, it just depends on the skill level.

Captain Olimer is a good counterpic for Bowser since you can practically keep distance from him while your racking up damage on him

As for the post above, your right, it's all about playing smart with somewhat slow characters like Ike. Any slow character can be more than enough of a challenge to beat in the hands of a skilled player.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I dunno, I've had no problems with Dedede. I'll have to say Pit and Olimar before Dedede and Marth.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Olimar can throw a pikmin off the stage. If you're using fB, Ike will always swing. Dead Ike.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Ike is good against almost every character, even the fast ones with projectiles because of his upB's 2nd property of reflecting that Gimpy figured out, but, according to ShortFuse, he he gets ripped to shreds by Yoshi.

Zink

Smash Champion
Ike is good against almost every character, even the fast ones with projectiles because of his upB's 2nd property of reflecting that Gimpy figured out, but, according to ShortFuse, he he gets ripped to shreds by Yoshi.
what is this reflecting thing? and is it useful enough considering upB is too slow to be thrown out when you see a projectile?

Betaz

Smash Ace
re...flecting?
where did you find this information?

Kyune

Smash Rookie
Hmm.. Ike's character speed doesn't help him compared to other characters, but on the other hand the large range and/or arcs on the varying attacks is a reasonable compensator. I've been playing for about a week now on my roomate's import Wii/copy. The first few hours of playing Ike sees a lot of improvement for timing/spacing, but I feel like I've plateaued rather fast. Need some people to play against, haha.

On a character level he'll have the worst matchups with nimble characters for obvious reasons. But I think it will go like this: Early Ike players will win games due to his strength but as players mature technically with their Brawl characters, the amount of judgment needed to play him well will slope considerably more than with other characters.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Ike is Great against all people its possible to hit w. the F-smash but you want to do it on their recovery....Ike has about 3 fast attacks that can be used to your adavntage....U-tilt, Jab, and Bair....WORK!

-Ciao

Gindler

Smash Champion
With me being a yoshi main and seeing Ike's fighting style, i'd think he'd be at the advantage against ike. Ike just isn't the best fighter in the air where I think yoshi is. so probably any skilled yoshi player could at least match up if not easily beat an ike player.

plus i read that other guys reply that yoshi tears him apart, made me smile =D

R A N D O M

Smash Rookie
I haven't found any character with a large advantage over Ike, because with skill comes a large amount of immunity to most Ike counters.

A) Projectile Counter: Ike's Quick Draw (Side+B) will strike the first thing Ike comes into contact with, and can be used to block Snake's grenades and rockets. Great, but leaves the large amount of lag that comes with the move.

It's much better to just avoid Snakes projectiles altogether. (Though that may be difficult if you're up against an experienced Snake brawler)

B) Small/Light Enemy Disadvantages: Smaller, lighter characters can sometimes do Ike in due to their general speed. The few quick moves Ike has that can be a sure hit on most enemies (Bair, Quick Draw) are either too high to shorthop (for the former), or easy to counter (for the latter).

Once more players get their hands on the game, it'll be easier to figure out what character has advantage over who, but for now, I think it's the overall skill each player has that comes up against Ike.

(He IS high tier after all ;) )

EDIT: Correction; Pikmin and Olimar could be the anti-Ike of the century. If you get stuck on a ledge, pray he doesn't start chucking Pikmin in your direction. It's impossible to get out.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't see how you guys could be having much trouble with snake. He has good projectiles, sure, but they shouldn't really prevent ike from getting to snake at all. Toon link is probably the worst matchup for ike. His projectiles allow him to camp really effectively, and they combo into each other, along with other aerial attacks.

Cups

Smash Ace
fox gayed me with shines really really bad, olimar is hard, campy snakes

basically just don't go off the edge and you'll be fine, ike has, let's face it, terrible recovery, and if you don't think so, then you aren't playing very good people. He can only recover horizontal or vertical, in an L shape and that's it. Don't go off the edge.

Narshen

Smash Rookie
From what I can see, ZSS's speed and range seem to be more than a match for Ike, especially after watching Chillin's videos...

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
The only real use I see for Fsmash is edgeguarding. Even then, he probably has better options.

To the people saying that he's slow and whatnot. Sure, he's got slow moves, and his run speed is awful. But he's got fast moves, and great approach options, and if you stick to those, you've got a beast on your hands.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Ike can tear hasty characters to peices, if you use his Jab Combo.
All depends on the person.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
I play against some of the best players in my region. Hows about not being dumb, okay?
In regards to this post, how does one determine best player, do you mean they are the #1 player in the state ranked by tournaments? Or just the best players in your group of friends? Just trying to figure out how you determine the meaning of best player.

Hostility

Smash Ace
that doesnt mean a thing . fight Psycho ****** and say he didnt give you trouble.
From what I've seen of psyco ******, he doesn't look like hes super amazing at camping or anything, many people are able to approach him even though all the projectiles. A good ike player would be able to do well against him I think.

And just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean you have any say in judging the players I've been playing. Hows about you stop trash talking k?

Hostility

Smash Ace
In regards to this post, how does one determine best player, do you mean they are the #1 player in the state ranked by tournaments? Or just the best players in your group of friends? Just trying to figure out how you determine the meaning of best player.
There havan't been any norcal tournaments, but I've been playing with a few ranked norcal players from melee. They aren't just random scrubs I just happen to know.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
There havan't been any norcal tournaments, but I've been playing with a few ranked norcal players from melee. They aren't just random scrubs I just happen to know.
Ah, i see. Im lucky enough to get to play the former #2 player in Texas. He's taught me how to use Yoshi to his full potential. ;)

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
In brawl? I'd love to see a good yoshi in brawl. Things aren't looking too great for him right now.
I think hes a fine character. His tail has a range boost, and he even jumps a bit with his up B. Hes a better character now.

Top Bottom