• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being Good At Pikman & Olimar Discussion

TheMirrorTwin

Smash Cadet
Pikmin & Olimar Theory.

Alright yall, watch these videos, at the end you kinda get to see Pikmin and Olimar's fighting style:
That's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ2-JLTET88
i saw it now by http://brawlcentral.com/ on a new commercial
Thanks Suzuki!

After reading a lot on the boards, it is fairly clear that the basics to becoming good with Olimar is to understand that he is all about Pikmin Management. I know this seems obvious, but it is a little more tricky than that.

It is all about management. You get a random pikmin when you pluck, so you constantly need to remember what kind of pikmin you have in the back of your mind and maximize their strengths by ordering them (possibly with b down).

You need to decide which to throw and which to keep for other attacks (such as up B). Should I throw this blue pikmin to get rid of him so I can pluck a new, possibly more useful pikmin? I'm at low health, so I better save this purple pikmin if he pushes me off the edge and I need a strong attack when I get back there. I need to save this red pikmin to counter Bowser's fire! I need this yellow pikmin for Peach who is flying around the stage!

Basically, you keep the pikmin for later, or throw them away to die (:().

Though, after the basic understanding of pikmin management and maximizing their use, i.e throwing them correctly, saving them correctly, changing how you save and throw based on your damage percent, where do you go from there?

What are yall's thoughts? What would be good defenses and offensive strategies and more advanced techinques?

Pyr0

Smash Ace
First: Its PIKMIN

Second: No **** Sherlock! of course were going to have to learn the advantages of each Pikmin.

Third: Wait for the game to come out before you talk "advance techniques"

But feel free to speculate...

TheMirrorTwin

Smash Cadet
Hey, don't be rude! I edited the "Pikman" mistake and I meant speculation. How could I mean real techniques when the game hasn't come out yet?

Anyway, what are yall's speculations on possible defenses and offenses?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Hey, don't be rude! I edited the "Pikman" mistake and I meant speculation. How could I mean real techniques when the game hasn't come out yet?

Anyway, what are yall's speculations on possible defenses and offenses?
I don't like your speculations. The fact that you and everyone else considers the blue to be useless, is beyond me. The blue is strong when thrown, and more durable than the others. How is that useless? CMON, PEOPLE :ohwell:

TheMirrorTwin

Smash Cadet
That is true, it is just that the blue pikmin in the game could travel in water, which in brawl isn't really useful.
How do you know he is more durable? If what you say is true, then blue probably isn't that bad.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Well, when in Rome, do what the KKK does. MAKE RANDOM SPECULATION!!! YAY!!!!!

Strategy 1: The Cheap-ass
Pluck and Throw Pikmin until the damage meter is really high, and then finish with a Smash attack.

Strategy 2: The Scramber
Repeatedly use Down B to confuse enemies and give them a hard time figuring out what Pikmin you will use next.

Strategy 3: The Trapeze Artist
Swing from platform to platform with Up B to lure opponents into setups and traps.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
CB, you must picture your opponent just sitting there or something. I definitely can't see those first two working.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
CB, you must picture your opponent just sitting there or something. I definitely can't see those first two working.
Well, they really depend on a few factors that we don't know yet. If having Pikmin piled on slows you down, the 1st may hold some water. If Down B is a fast attack, the second could work. This is all speculation, y'know.

TheMirrorTwin

Smash Cadet
I think that 1 and 3 could be good (speculating here). 1 because of Olimar's speed (have you seen the videos :p). Slowly building the damage percent, I think is probably very valid.

Also, Olimar's up b moves very quick so 3 is also a good idea.

I also think that you could combine the 2, get 3 pikmin on the opponent and swing around with the other 3 :p

As for 2, I think the opponents probably wouldn't care and just rush in, lol.

Also, I think Olimar could be a good item hogger. Throw a pikmin to make them flinch, then steal the item :p

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
That is true, it is just that the blue pikmin in the game could travel in water, which in brawl isn't really useful.
How do you know he is more durable? If what you say is true, then blue probably isn't that bad.
I thought I saw Olimar throw a blue one in video footage and they weren't in water. Also, I know he's more durable than the others, b/c DOJO actually says so under his properties. I guess people just don't read nowadays.

TheMirrorTwin

Smash Cadet
No, what I meant was that in the game the pikmin's ability was that they could travel underwater( in the game), not that they had to be in water. In other words, I meant that their amphibious skills couldn't be used in brawl because water isn't used.

After reading DOJO again (and yes I didn't notice that part) I think that the greater durability was a compensation since their amphibious skills couldn't be used.

Eagle

Smash Lord
When I play as Olimar I think I will at all times try keep a minimum of 3 blue pikmin for recovery, and the rest purples for throwing.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
No, what I meant was that in the game the pikmin's ability was that they could travel underwater( in the game), not that they had to be in water. In other words, I meant that their amphibious skills couldn't be used in brawl because water isn't used.

After reading DOJO again (and yes I didn't notice that part) I think that the greater durability was a compensation since their amphibious skills couldn't be used.
Brawl has some water stages, we just need more videos to confirm anything.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I haven't thought much about the other pikmin but I was planning on using the purple a lot (not only is it my favorite color). The purple sounds like a stitch face turnip to me, hits hard and knocks them back :)

KingDaniel

Smash Rookie
Olimar does have an advantage with the element of surprise. They don't know which pikmin you will hit them with. I think the fire and thunder resistance is not so much for olimars use but more for keeping your pikmin from being all wiped at once, eg. Falcon pawnchuh the red pikmin will survive. I'm guess also that olimar can quickly pull up pikmin and be a long range and close range character. His whip will be incredibly useful for hitting flying characters...say Metaknight in the air is gliding, you can make a chain of pikmin and he'll run into them. Oh! and i was wondering...how can a pikmin be separated? Well i guess it is when he throws and misses.

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
For me the important thing is picturing who would be best, as said previously. If you have the time or opportunity, sacrifice the worst ones for the current situation and hope for the better ones when plucking.

What truly matters is, what is more important? Use your B's or your A's? Olimar kinda has two different play styles with those, B's for racking up damage and confusing your enemies, A's for damaging attacks and strategies. The truly good Olimar's are the ones that can meld these two together to form one complete and powerful character.

Top Bottom