• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner Marth tips/tricks/guide?

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
I'm fairly new to smash in general and currently main Game and Watch, but I feel that GnW can't really do a whole lot against popular picks like spacies. I'm looking to pick up Marth to play against things that I have a lot of problems with in general.
That being said, I have absolutely no idea how to play Marth other than up tilt into forward air into down air for a kill.

Any kind of help at all is appreciated.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I would love beginner Marth stuff, as I'm a brawl marth veteran but I'm sorta clueless on where to start with the PM one. (I'm new to PM)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You'll want to be grounded more than you think, and many MU's boil down into Dash Dancing at people with precision while mixing up Dtilt pokes, grabs, WD Backwards/DD backwards, or Fair/Utilt if they jump towards you

Know what you can realistically get from a combo, especially if they start to DI away. Keeping positional advantage with Marth is key, so don't give it up by trying for an extra Fair/Fsmash that will prob whiff

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
You'll want to be grounded more than you think, and many MU's boil down into Dash Dancing at people with precision while mixing up Dtilt pokes, grabs, WD Backwards/DD backwards, or Fair/Utilt if they jump towards you

Know what you can realistically get from a combo, especially if they start to DI away. Keeping positional advantage with Marth is key, so don't give it up by trying for an extra Fair/Fsmash that will prob whiff
Good advice. For now, I think I'll work on my dash dance tech chasing and wave dashing. Also, do you think tap jump should be on or off with Marth? I have it on, sometimes Uptilt isn't as easy as it could be but using tap jump is too natural for me with Marth.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have default controls, so tap jump on. I'm way too used to it and would kill myself, since I alternate between jump button and control stick up depending on the circumstance (usually to use C-stick easier since I don't have to move from x\y towards the stick)

It doesn't affect me much, since I tend to use "free" windows to go for Utilts. Like during landing lag when you wavedash: moving up while that is happening will do no jump or crazy input, so if I start to hold up there, I can go Utilt immediately if I have to.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I have default controls, so tap jump on. I'm way too used to it and would kill myself, since I alternate between jump button and control stick up depending on the circumstance (usually to use C-stick easier since I don't have to move from x\y towards the stick)

It doesn't affect me much, since I tend to use "free" windows to go for Utilts. Like during landing lag when you wavedash: moving up while that is happening will do no jump or crazy input, so if I start to hold up there, I can go Utilt immediately if I have to.
I do things EXACTLY the way you do. Most notably, when I Ken Combo, I press X and Fair, then I use up on the control stick and Dair. It's a relief to see someone else do it the same way.

Reaca

Smash Rookie
NNID
Reaca1461
There's a video on YouTube called "Marth Trials" that's been helping me get used to some of the standard Marth stuff. I'd link it, but I don't have enough posts to allow that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom