• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner help?

ConnY

Smash Rookie
I've searched the forum but I can't really find any good compiled information. I've searched online and there's tons of different kinds of information that it's hard to know what is the official.

Therefor, I decided to post here to get my questions answered.

I'd really like it if someone provided me with the correct information to the following:

- Competitive rules
- Tiers explained
- Any other basic information a beginner might need to know about when it comes to competitive battling

For someone that's new to Smash in a competitive sense, I didn't really feel like it was a walk in the park to find good information to start with. I'm really confused about all those scattered threads about hitboxes and what have you. I just want to be introduced to the competitive scene so I can start learning.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
There really isn't a set of competitive rules that spans across the country. You're better off reading the rules for your individual tournament you're attending and going from there.

The Tier List is a set of data that attempts to rank characters based off their viability to win tournaments assuming the highest level of play. The most popular form of the tier list is put out by the Brawl Backroom. The Tier List is a presentation of votes from the BBR members ranking the characters from best to worst, with tier breaks provided by convenient separations of data. So people tend to interpret the data that a character on its own tier is extremely better compared to characters in other tiers. However, the tier breaks are only indicative that a large group of people tend to think a character belongs in a certain position.

As far as competitive battling tips -
http://smashboards.com/threads/what...new-player-should-avoid.348395/#post-16366642

ConnY

Smash Rookie
So basically, the tiers works as guidelines to character complexity? Do tiers ever work their way into competitive rules?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Not necessarily their complexity, but more or less their potential to win tournaments when played at their maximum potential. For instance, a character like Yoshi is often seen as very complex and tecnical, but he is only somewhere in mid-tier, because he simply does not have the tools to beat better characters.

MathMaven

Smash Rookie
So basically, the tiers works as guidelines to character complexity?
The tier list as currently determined represents how good the Brawl community thinks each character is.

It should be noted that the views of the Brawl Back Room (as determined by the mean of their votes) is weighed approximately six times more than that of the Smash community.The means by which the current tier list was determined is explained in the forum post announcing said tier list's release.
Do tiers ever work their way into competitive rules?
Not commonly. Some tournament organizers like to run mid- or low-tier only tournaments, like last year's WHOBO 5, but that's usually the extent of the tier list's influence on rules.

Last edited:

ConnY

Smash Rookie
Hm, so then it only makes sense to play as the top tier characters then, right? I suppose playing as Meta knight is always the best idea.

ConnY

Smash Rookie
I see. Hm, that's kind of awful, really lol. Thanks for all the answers, they have been helpful.

Top Bottom