• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner Brawler

OllyD

Smash Cadet
NNID
Armitada
Hey! I've been playing SSBB ever since the day it was released. However I'm to the best at the "competitive" side of things. A friend and I should be entering a tournament soon, and I was wondering if you had any advice for new attendees! I will be participating in the region of Canada.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Everybody (well, almost everybody) gets beaten hard at their first tournament, and the main reason for this is that newcomers lack the experience that tournament regulars have - both in terms in a wide variety of character MUs and a wide variety of playstyles. Don't be disappointed if you don't place well, and don't get discouraged. Instead, use it as motivation to find out what you need to improve on so that you can improve as quickly as possible. Take the time to play as many friendlies with as many players as you can, and ask them all for advice. Don't be shy! (Can't stress this enough). People - of all skill levels - are usually very welcoming and friendly in tournaments, and would love to sit down with you and play you and offer advice if you ask them.

The one thing tournament regulars hates to see is for a new player to show up to his first tournament, talk to nobody, get upset that he doesn't place well and then never show up to a tournament again.
The one thing tournament regulars loves to see is for a new player to not only be okay with losing, but also to ask for advice when losing.

Just curious, where in Canada will you be participating? Toronto/Southern Ontario is having a tournament this weekend (ie tomorrow), are you gonna be there? Cause I will :)

Last edited:

OllyD

Smash Cadet
NNID
Armitada
Thanks for all the great advice! ^-^
My friend and I are hoping to Participate at "Get On My Level" on May 10 and 11th in Toronto! I doubt we could make it for tomorrow :p but I'm sure we can try xD

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Here's the thread for tomorrow's tournament btw in case you want the details
http://smashboards.com/threads/dynasty-battles-4-embodiment-ft-brawl-project-m.348973/

For the record, in Toronto we have weekly smashfests at A&C World on Friday, they start at 3 pm and end anywhere between 8 and 10 pm depending on how many people there are. $5.

There's also a tournament next weekend on the 29th at York University with Brawl and Project:M, and Brawl is gonna be 1 stock bo5 (bo7 for top 3).

Do you live in the GTA? If so, PM me your facebook and I can add you to the Southern Ontario Brawl fb group and you'll be updated on things like upcoming tournies, smashfests, etc.

Last edited:

OllyD

Smash Cadet
NNID
Armitada
Oh, sweet. Sadly I do not live in GTA, I'm actually in Eastern Ontario :/

I can't make it to the one today, but thanks for the information about the A&C world thing!

To go to tournaments in Toronto it has to be planned a bit ahead most likely. XD

Top Bottom