• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beefy Smash Doods: Momentum Cancel & Hurtbox Shifting

Beefy Smash Doods are well known for their in depth study of Smash 4 mechanics and making videos to explain them. They proved it can be impossible to tech, have found the best way to mash buttons, found the strongest hit in Smash 4, and more. This time they sat down to help players survive that much longer in a competitive match. They explain the details of how to cancel momentum and how it has changed since Brawl as well as explain how to shift hurtboxes to extend lifespans. Give the video a watch and increase that Smash 4 knowledge!

To see more videos from Beefy Smash Doods be sure to check out their Youtube channel or follow them on Twitter. Need more Smash 4 tips? Stay tuned to Smashboards for future tutorial videos!

Comments

Wow, so I've probably killed myself trying to side-B back as Fox without realizing that's why I died. In any other case, interesting, but not super useful. Getting knocked that far back and using an up-B straight away is probably going to end in a death regardless (especially shown in Marth's case). Jumping's the only option I see as useful at all, and even then not that much.

Oh hey! Little mac gains a whole 4% survivability with the Fair. Now you just have to recover back to the stage from the edge of the blast zo- Oh... Right.

When they had Mac Side-B near the end to show it helps him survive a little longer (for a couple seconds), who else started hoping the DK down taunted and then cheered when he did?

Last edited:
When they had Mac Side-B near the end to show it helps him survive a little longer (for a couple seconds), who else started hoping the DK down taunted and then cheered when he did?
Omg, that totally happened here, I didn't cheer exactly, but I knew it was coming.

It also looks useful vertically. I tested bowser dair while launched vertically with a test similar to this one. I noticed I could survive 3% longer. Might need more testing

I made a post about this on the technique's thread, but I felt it's worth mentioning here. This technique has nothing to do with hurtboxes.

Hurtboxes are the vulnerable parts of a character that can be hit. These are ignored when dealing with blastzones.

ECBs, or Environmental Collision Boxes deal with the detection of collisions with walls, floors and ceilings, and blastzones.

I went into more detail on the thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/hurtbox-shifting-instant-momentum-cancel.423544/#post-20463246

What do you mean, "Oh... Right."? He's OP!
1. "Oh... Right." Is in reference to the fact that, unless you're thrown at a nearly perfect 45 degree angle to the blast zone, Little Mac isn't coming back from that far of a throw. Little Mac has the biggest advantage of this technique, but he has no real way to follow up on it.

2. Mac? OP? What is your honest basis for that? Little Mac was heavily played in the early parts of the game and dropped by several people due to his terrible recovery and unreliable KO punch (watch StylesX2's videos on the windbox whiffs he constantly gets). Furthermore, I don't think Little Mac has even placed top 8 at a single major non-doubles tournament.

1. "Oh... Right." Is in reference to the fact that, unless you're thrown at a nearly perfect 45 degree angle to the blast zone, Little Mac isn't coming back from that far of a throw. Little Mac has the biggest advantage of this technique, but he has no real way to follow up on it.

2. Mac? OP? What is your honest basis for that? Little Mac was heavily played in the early parts of the game and dropped by several people due to his terrible recovery and unreliable KO punch (watch StylesX2's videos on the windbox whiffs he constantly gets). Furthermore, I don't think Little Mac has even placed top 8 at a single major non-doubles tournament.
Ok ok ok. It was only a joke. And yes, I know about the ****stain on the tier list that is Little Mac.

But seriously, those were some good photoshop skills

Top Bottom