• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating the Chaingrab?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Besides obviously not getting grabbed, how do I avoid giving my opponent a free 50%? I've never been a fan of getting chaingrabbed, and it totally frustrates me. :laugh:

Beowulf Lee

Smash Rookie
Stay near the edge or on platforms. If you're on the edge, make sure he doesn't grab you from the other way though. But the thing is, he'll just projectile camp you if you stay still.

neji49

Smash Cadet
Actually,staying near the edge could be a bad idea. Either he goes for the full chaingrab or (if he knows how to) he could spike you off the edge. Which character do you use? There are four characters(I think) that can counter the chaingrab and yours might be one of them. Aside from that I don't really know.

Beowulf Lee

Smash Rookie
Being next to the edge limits how many CG's he can pull off. Plus, you can probably recover from a spike at low percentages.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Being next to the edge limits how many CG's he can pull off. Plus, you can probably recover from a spike at low percentages.
That's if he grabs you from the wrong direction...
If he gets you from the other side... then you're in trouble...
However you can't be grabbed in the air :D

neji49

Smash Cadet
Wait which is the "right" direction the one where you can spiked off, or the on where you get chaingrabbed across the stage?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Which character do you use? There are four characters(I think) that can counter the chaingrab and yours might be one of them. Aside from that I don't really know.
I'm one of those guys who plays as lots of guys and really doesn't have a main. I'd say my best characters are DK, Wolf, ROB, Wario, Ganondorf in that order.

neji49

Smash Cadet
It doesn't look like any fo those characters are immune to the chaingrab. Wario might be your best bet because he can only be chaingrabbed up to 20%, unlike Wolf who can hit 50%.Anyways, if you wanted to know, Falco's chaingrab either won't work or can be countered by Lucario,Samus,Peach, and Kirby.(There might be more, I don't remember the full list.)

neji49

Smash Cadet
Why so? Floatiness?
I think that's case with Samus. I don't really know there's a thread on this board posting the lists of who can be chaingrabbed and who can't. That's where I got all of this information.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Wait which is the "right" direction the one where you can spiked off, or the on where you get chaingrabbed across the stage?
I thought we were talking about low percents,
And it's pretty easy to air dodge once you're off the stage...
And to answer your question it was where you "can" be spiked off... since if u go across the stage you'll still end up being spiked

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Hi there, from what seen the best way to avoid the chain-grab is to simply park yourself on a platform(assuming there is one) and fight upon there, until your above 45%, at this point Falco will most probably be unable to chain-grab you. Of course you can still be chain-grabbed on the platform, but not to the same extent that you could on the ground.

If your playing on final destination, there is little you can do, just try and keep your distance, and approach with aerials,

The chain-grab is not your biggest worry, chain-grab to spike however is. Keep playing smart and you'll minimize the chance of this happening.

If all else fails, you might have to choose a character that is immune to the chain-grab, people such as Samus,Jigglypuff,R.O.B ... there is probably a lot more but i can't remember off the top of my head.

Top Bottom