• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating Olimar?

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Ok, you Luigi mainers. I need your assistance. I simply have not found a way to beat Olimar with Luigi. I try to use the Luigi Tornado to kill off the Pikmin, but that doesn't work. I can't exactly play the range game either, because I always get Smashed.

Any pointers you can offer?

Daweeg

Smash Rookie
I don't know much but Luigi's spot dodge is quick you use that that to avoid the thrown ones if that's your problem.

LuigiTheButcher

Smash Journeyman
Ok I know this will sound wierd and unhelpful, but I was having trouble with an Olimar and thought "Olimar really doesnt have attacks that go at an angle...I see attacks that are sideways or straight up but never diagnolly...So I started doing diagnol attacks and the Olimar really couldn't do anything after knocking off a stock quickly it started coming after me with an air in the diagnol direction to meet me and my air attacks outprioritized...worth a shot...not the greatest advice I could dish out >.<

Dimmydoo

Smash Rookie
Nair is your friend, and seriously the Tornado Spin is amazing against Olimar, gets you in range quickly, while negating his pikmin throws, and usually before he can get off a smash.

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
Nair is your friend, and seriously the Tornado Spin is amazing against Olimar, gets you in range quickly, while negating his pikmin throws, and usually before he can get off a smash.
This right here.

My friend plays a pretty good Olimar. I've found that with the pikmin and Oli's range, you can't chase him on the ground if you're on a rather big platform stage (FD, BF, etc) especially since luigi slides so much when he's hit.

What I found that works out great is to use the Tornado to chase him, if he throws a pikmin, be ready to act quick because it will cancel your tornado (Though you won't take a hit either) when that happens BAM tornado again almost instantly. Once you catch him, if he's pretty good at shield grabbing the tornado, attempt to tornado through him and end up behind him.

Once you get close to him via the tornado, short hop nair fast fall works great to neutralize his attacks.

He's really not as bad as he seems, especially if you keep him pressured and don't let him attack to much on the ground.

The great thing is Luigi has the advantage in the recovery department, as Oli's is terrible imo. Once you get his %age up, start bair'ing him off the stage. When he needs to rely on his tether to get back on, /lol at him then hug the edge. Tetherer's can't tether if you're grabbing the edge.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Oli's utilt/usmash is pretty mean, watch for it. I would suggest airdodging into an attack when you land as opposed to nair fast fall if he's got you in a juggle.

Eten

Smash Ace
there is no "imo" needed for oli's terrible recovery, cause it simply IS terrible. Seriously one bair sending olimar beyond second jump distance away from the stage, and he's gone. Oh and your P.S. is really imporant, just want to reinforce that.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
what is nair?
Neutral air.

On topic: Yeah Olimar's recovery is terrible. It only goes diagnolly so if he's too far horizantal or vertical he's dead. The Grinch basically told you everything you need to know so, yeah. One last thing about his reovery. I was battling an Olimar (a good one) and I got him off stage and edgehogged him. The edgehog was successful, but he had a red pikmin at the end of his chain, which killed me. It was my last stock too so I ended up losing the match. Watch out for that.

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
there is no "imo" needed for oli's terrible recovery, cause it simply IS terrible. Seriously one bair sending olimar beyond second jump distance away from the stage, and he's gone. Oh and your P.S. is really imporant, just want to reinforce that.
Okay, so it's the general consensus or a fact that Olimar's got terrible recovery? lol.

Glad to know I'm not crazy, I mainly stated that it was only my opinion though because frankly I've never used him, and would hate to say something that's not true had there been some advanced way to recover with him!!

I definitely think the P.S. I mentioned is very important, I got KO'd twice because of his utilt/usmash while I foolishly tried to nair ff it.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I would be GLAD to help you ol' buddy! =D

Just follow these 5 simple steps and you are on your way to victory!

1) Select a level and wait for the match to begin.

2) Set the controller on the floor and walk to your bed.

3) fluff up your pillow nice and snug.

4) Lay down and go to sleep

5) Have dreams of beating Olimar

It is the only way I am afraid.

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is GOD People!!!! Theres no way of beating him!!! Jk, jus dodge into him and grab, that should give you sum distance. And luigicopter!! jus don't run at him, he'll grab you.

Dimmydoo

Smash Rookie
As for Olimar's Usmash/Utilt, which are stupid good attacks. Greench is totally right air dodge into an attack (I like Ftilt).

Or at the edge of a stage try for a shield/throw out of the air-dodge and side throw him at any decent % and with some pressure (Bair is godly) and edgehoggin should have a dead Pikmin chucker.

Hashire Kazemeijin

Smash Cadet
On topic: Yeah Olimar's recovery is terrible. It only goes diagnolly so if he's too far horizantal or vertical he's dead.
Just to make sure it's known, Olimar's Tether Recovery, [like all tether recoveries] will home in on the edge, even if the edge is just barely out of reach. Which can lead the Pikmin Chain to go flat horizontally, down at an angle, and even straight up.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
I have bad timing so its hard for me to time my roll onto the edge correctly to edge hog =(

Thanks for the advice though. My brother is getting into Olimar a bit ,i used to main him so i know how he works (yeah... then i played Luigi and liked the green man more)

Eten

Smash Ace
Why roll? Just sprint off, and like rotate the control stick in a quarter circle from down to towards the stage.

Olimar is tough, but edgehogging kills him.
I'd suggest when the pikmin are on you to use a neutral air which will take them out period. I usually jump at the Olimar to hit Olimar and take him out.
Also try to keep him in the air when he has few Pikmin. When he loses them and can't hit the ground he can't pull any more. Keep Olimar off the ground and above you preferably.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Oli's tether can hit you when you are on the edge and he is trying to make a recovery. From what i have learned, it won't latch on to the edge, just hit you. Just thought that little tidbit would be useful.

But yeah, luigi's tornado cleans up pretty nicely against Oli.

Top Bottom