• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating Mario's Cape

Squidget

Smash Rookie
One of my Smash-playing friends has a variety of characters, one of whom is Dr. Mario. I'm able to beat him with pretty good frequency on other characters, but against the doctor I always find myself foiled by cape spam.

Whenever I move in to attack (my usual approach is a shuffled dair or nair, dash into upsmash or grab, or move in + wavedash back + hit), I get caped as I activate my attack and it ends up missing and leaving me vulnerable. When I've tried to play more defensively, he capes my lasers. The first attack when he moves in is usually the cape, shield grabbing pretty pointless, and recovers fast enough that I have difficulty evading and getting off an attack of my own.. Of course, he also does the usual rounds of edgeguarding with the cape, but I feel confident I could play around those if I could compete effectively in ground play.

The only success I've had is through randomly dodging around and finding openings to hit him with nairs and dairs. This sort of works, but I haven't been able to effectively chain these moves into combos on Mario. When I catch him in an up-throw, he'll jump immediately and nair or dodge, which makes it exceedingly difficult to uair him effectively. His traction also makes it difficult to catch him in a waveshine combo. It might be my waveshines aren't good enough, but I'm usually not able to wavedash close enough for my combos to be effective before he can shield or attack. At best I can get off a jab, and I haven't been able to set up any workable combos beyond that. My only victories have been through excessive edgeguards, since he's very vulnerable to shine-spikes, but fighting Mario near the edge seems like a losing strategy for Fox.

So how do you guys normally beat Marios or Dr. Marios that spam the cape? What are some good methods for punishing the cape, or making an offensive approach against a good Mario?

Thanks for any help.

takieddine

Smash Master
I second this thread :(...

I might help you though...

DD a lot.. and wait for an opening..if you're getting your aerials caped.
Try full hop aerials, as they are longer and might throw the caping off a bit.

remember if mario's dont DI away from shine..you can perfect wavedash into upsmash them..(done deal).

Use edge invincibilty to shinespike..(ex. shinespike+firefox infinite stall)..

JFox

Smash Hero
use full hop dairs to shine. waveshine to dash attacks are easy and very effective against doc. (dont use at low percents) at mid percents they will set up champ combos, and at higher percents they will set up upsmashes or uairs. at very high percents, just dair shine upsmash if you can. at lower percents, full jump dair shine SH dair shine. if you can do that, helps build percent until he is at mid range percentage.

full jump behind him and than give him a nice back kick to the head. this works well on doc in my experience, and i dont think the cape could help in that situation for him. he also wont be able to shield grab u since youd be in back of him.

dont bother with throws. your best option here is full jumps airs and shine. shine him off the platform and than chase him out for a shine spike, most lower level (non main) doc's wont know what to do against it. hope that helped.

Evil Roopey

Smash Rookie
The best way I found is to DashDance/Pulse Walk in and out of range. So you run at him the run away and while you are running away he will cape now he's the one that is vulnerable, and you go in and take advantage of it. This works against everyone one, not just Mario, is a strategy you should be taking advantage of.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If all he is doing is using the cape to stop your approaches and not mix it up, then simply fly in with a B/N air and DI hard towards, I think you will drift far enough to hit him if he times it a little late, don't be afraid to laser once, watch as he capes, and punish his lag (SHL only)

Just practice, and you are right, don't go near the ledge, UNLESS you are in the advantage, meaning you are in the middle of a combo, or he is retreating.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
shine......WD to grab, up air if u can...full jump drinne shine.....mix it up with ur recoveries so u dont get caped....up smash is ur friend.......

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
You could always just run up to him and throw an f-smash the opposite direction. That way he'll get himself a smack in the face when he capes you.

Learn to predict his caping routines. Know what he capes, and what he doesn't cape. Use it against him. He'll get predictable after a while.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Also tell him to not cape often. It'll be a good mindgame.

Also caping is a really terrible move, so he shouldn't be doing it anyway. Cape does jack for you at tourney level play (except for projectiles and recovery, obviously, and rare circumstances.)

So yeah, if all else fails, slap him and call him gay.

Top Bottom