• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating Lv. 9 CPU Olimar

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I admit I suck, but around half the time I face a lv. 9 Olimar I lose. He puts up a great defensive game and his neutral air attack always makes me frustrated. What are some tips for beating him?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
haha. i've no recollection of playing cpus after about the third week of playing because they give very bad practice when u want to face real players. I'll admit it. Olimar gave me trouble when i faced him in classic.

Don't feel bad if you lose. they were programed to be hard. they airdodge some attacks like no human could ever do. i've seen a lucario cpu dodge my up-b with a quick airdodge the exact moment i used the move. He was inside of the range and airdodged it. this isn't hard for humans to do because we can predict such behavior. In brawl, the Cpus have no AI to predict anything. They rely on your inputs to determine their attacks.

As compared to a CPU's reaction time... imagine u are standing next to a MK(your friend). u ask your friend to use his jab at a random time during the 10 seconds u stand next to him. try to dodge the attack he pulls out instantaneously. u can't do it unless u predict it to happen. for the cpu, it's all reflexes.
you have to attack knowing that your cpu opponent has the capability to dodge any attack you throw out.

-Try using the infinite CG where u downthrow-SHFair-fastfall-grab-repeat.

-Try pinning the cpu in a corner where he has to roll towards you to dodge a grab. At that time, use your downsmash. there, u've succeeded in attacking the cpu. good job.

If none of these work, then try to find a glitch where the olimar falls for a tactic everytime, and abuse it. (against human players, it'll just become too predictable to use over and over and over again) keep finding new strategies that work on the cpu you want to fight. look on youtube of videos of guys facing other cpus. watch and learn.

good luck. hope get better.;)

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
haha. i've no recollection of playing cpus after about the third week of playing because they give very bad practice when u want to face real players. I'll admit it. Olimar gave me trouble when i faced him in classic.

Don't feel bad if you lose. they were programed to be hard. they airdodge some attacks like no human could ever do. i've seen a lucario cpu dodge my up-b with a quick airdodge the exact moment i used the move. He was inside of the range and airdodged it. this isn't hard for humans to do because we can predict such behavior. In brawl, the Cpus have no AI to predict anything. They rely on your inputs to determine their attacks.

As compared to a CPU's reaction time... imagine u are standing next to a MK(your friend). u ask your friend to use his jab at a random time during the 10 seconds u stand next to him. try to dodge the attack he pulls out instantaneously. u can't do it unless u predict it to happen. for the cpu, it's all reflexes.
you have to attack knowing that your cpu opponent has the capability to dodge any attack you throw out.

-Try using the infinite CG where u downthrow-SHFair-fastfall-grab-repeat.

-Try pinning the cpu in a corner where he has to roll towards you to dodge a grab. At that time, use your downsmash. there, u've succeeded in attacking the cpu. good job.

If none of these work, then try to find a glitch where the olimar falls for a tactic everytime, and abuse it. (against human players, it'll just become too predictable to use over and over and over again) keep finding new strategies that work on the cpu you want to fight. look on youtube of videos of guys facing other cpus. watch and learn.

good luck. hope get better.;)

Very encouraging. I can't suggest something finer than what DanGR said, but if you believe in yourself, you'll do a lot better.

Top Bottom