• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating King Dedede's Infinite

bobson

Smash Lord
Now, we all know about King Dedede's standing infinites—or at least we should—, but there've been a lot of misconceptions flying around about them that I'd like to clear up here.

King Dedede has standing dthrow infinites on Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong, Wolf, and himself. He doesn't have a true infinite on Bowser (unless there's a wall), but he does have a smallstep chaingrab on him that can turn into a 0-death depending on where on the stage Bowser gets grabbed. Of all of these, Donkey Kong's and Bowser's are the only largely disastrous ones. His infinite on himself is a ledge infinite and can only happen when both parties can use it, his infinite on Wolf requires Wolf to be in a specific spot between the stage and the ledge that's very hard to catch him on purposely in the middle of a match, and his infinites on Mario, Luigi and Samus stale and should never be 0-deaths or even 50-deaths for reasons I'll outline here.

The staling infinites work like this: Dedede can regrab his target out of hitstun without moving until five dthrows are in the beginning of the stale moves queue. After this, he has to throw a pummel in between every dthrow in order to keep the infinite going. This is where we break him. King Dedede has a slow-as​s pummel.
As you know, mashing buttons on the controller will reduce the time you can be held in a grab. Dedede's pummel is a lengthy 29 frames, which gives us about half a second in which to mash buttons like a maniac to try to get out of the grab. This can do far more damage than it seems. At absolutely optimal levels of button mashing, we can break out of Dedede's infinite until a prodigious 653%.

Granted, humans aren't anywhere near capable of optimal button mashing. But because the physical threshold is so high, the human threshold is still within manageable enough percents (it's probably around 200%) that this shouldn't ever be killing you early. I can break out consistently around 80-90%. Reflex has done it at 114% (2:51) and higher on several occasions.
The technique I use is spinning the control stick with my left thumb while moving my right thumb over A, B, X and Y and hitting L, R and Z with my index and middle fingers. If your hands are big enough, you can also nudge the c-stick with the base of your thumb while you're doing this.

A smart Dedede will know you can break out of it and avoid using it, which will probably result in him using the first five standing dthrows and segueing into a chaingrab across the stage (and yes, Luigi can be chaingrabbed) into a followup. This usually ends up with you taking ~50% from a single grab and is still a pain in the as​s, but it's beatable. Don't go into this matchup anymore thinking you'll be inevitably 0-deathed into hell.

Stick it to the penguin. And every time you do, say a prayer for those poor, poor DK mains.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Pretty good, but it doesn't change the fact that he has devasting CGs and huge grab range; DDD is still way too dangerous to approach...that and you'd have to have super-human godly button mashing skills...

chic

Smash Ace
The technique I use is spinning the control stick with my left thumb while moving my right thumb over A, B, X and Y and hitting L, R and Z with my index and middle fingers.
man thats crazy! whenever we go to tournies and my bro, who uses mario, gets grabbed by DDD i want to cry because he has such slow button mashing skills :( all the training we do is thrown out the window. the sad look on his face will make any grown man cry! **** YOU DDD!!!!!!!

Matt07

Smash Master
Good read, Bobson. Lol, if you face a lot of Dedede's in tournaments, your going to break your controller much faster with all the button mashing :laugh:.

The infinite is stupid. 'Don't get grabbed' won't work because we're humans and we make mistakes, and that one mistake screws it up.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
man thats crazy! whenever we go to tournies and my bro, who uses mario, gets grabbed by DDD i want to cry because he has such slow button mashing skills :( all the training we do is thrown out the window. the sad look on his face will make any grown man cry! **** YOU DDD!!!!!!!
Learn 2 plank & camp...or just use a secondary...

Famous

Smash Champion
My secondary is luigi so I'm f*****... I actually don't do bad against D3. Lol, I tend to play gay when facing him... Fireball spam, FH Dairs, reverse grab combo's, etc...

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Why do you have to approach DDD? Fireballs absolutely DESTROY him because of his size, and then anything you do afterwards will go through his shield because you should be throwing lots of **** at him. DDD should have very little approach on Mario and thus should have a difficult time getting a grab. If you get a Utilt on him at low % you can beat him around a lot because of his size and weight.

I need to play better DDD's, because right now I think the matchup should be 60:40 DDD at best.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I break out of D3's grab too often for the infinite to be THAT much of an issue. We combo him to hell, gimp him pretty effectively, and have the tools to camp him if we need to and avoid grabs. One of which is cape jumping to stall in the air and punish the whiffed grab. Just don't jump into the ****, and it's not even that big of a deal.

If you DO jump into the ****, mash out. Watch out for his Utilt and Bair at KO percentages. If someone CPs your Mario with D3, you know what they're after, and you know how to bait it out and punish.

Silly Sakurai, thinking he could F*** over Mr. Nintendo

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Why do you have to approach DDD? Fireballs absolutely DESTROY him because of his size, and then anything you do afterwards will go through his shield because you should be throwing lots of **** at him. DDD should have very little approach on Mario and thus should have a difficult time getting a grab. If you get a Utilt on him at low % you can beat him around a lot because of his size and weight.

I need to play better DDD's, because right now I think the matchup should be 60:40 DDD at best.
You don't have to approach him, still, the fact that you can't safely approach him is still a huge disadvantage; if it wasn't for DDD's CG and grab range this match-up wouldn't be nearly as bad.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
You don't have to approach him, still, the fact that you can't safely approach him is still a huge disadvantage; if it wasn't for DDD's CG and grab range this match-up wouldn't be nearly as bad.
But you can approach him. Time a fireball to hit his shield while you run in for a Dair and he honestly can't do anything.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
But you can approach him. Time a fireball to hit his shield while you run in for a Dair and he honestly can't do anything.
Not safely; all DDD needs to do is powershield and time a grab...it's possible to approach DDD and not get grabbed, but it's just so risky.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Did you guys know when the infinite was first found I played Mario, Snake, Samus, Bowser, and DK? pro tip!

but yeah...like I said the infinite isn't the problem...it's the fact that from a grab DDD has a plethora of set-ups to screw you over...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
i personally believe that all d3 players deserve to die cuz they dont have any skill what soever lolol that, mario has to play the gayest to the max. mario actually makes d3 look like **** if he knows what hes doing when hes gimping him. its rediculous!!

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
It would be easier if he did'nt have those annoying waddle freaks

fireballs would be much more effective but those *******s can take 20 to the face and keep advancing, fireball spaming does'nt really work for me, I ussualy just have to fireball approach and hope I land the aerial correctly

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Interesting find. None of the Dedede players I've faced have been able to use the infinite on me as of now. This will be useful. And aside his grab, Dedede isn't that tough.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I full hope or short hop dependinding on how much distance I need on the fireball, problem is, I either land infront of or right on a waddle dee, which leads to either me getting hit or having to block its attk, which gives the DDD enough time to approach me when my guard is down
DDD is'nt that hard, it just his grabs, the best thing I can do against a DDD is Bair WoP or using Dairs to hit his shield and land behind him, im not saying im helpless though, it's just that mario's range leave's him vunarable to shield grabs

Top Bottom