• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta vs Projectile Heavy Character [For Glory Link/etc]

smesty

Smash Cadet
Hey all,

Currently bombing out of my locals to the same For Glory-esk Link main, who has been using the same playstyle since the game came out.

It was a lot of projectile spam (mainly bombs) which cut off:
  • my heel slide approach along the ground with bombs arrows
  • Dabk with upwards angled boomerang
Anytime I got close, it was either randy smash attack or grab, but when I stay at a distance he eventually would get enough chip damage to secure the stock.

At no point did it seem like I had an opening.

Am I approaching the matchup wrong? Is my timing of approaches off? Or are my approach options bad in general?

This matchup seems to be an issue for me specifically despite my character choice, so any info on the matchup in general would be nice.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Don't have a ton of experience with the MU, and this Link might be more spammy than I'm imagining, but I have to think that it would be possible to land on him with an aerial during the boomerang animation. If he's mostly using bombs then you might just have to get considerably better at catching them in order to force him to use others. Arrows are easy enough to shield so at that point he hopefully starts throwing out the 'rangs more which is the easiest of his projectiles to punish in my experience. If he really insists on camping you out you might just want to wall up. I know it doesn't make for a good match to watch or a fun match to play necessarily, but if he's getting you with chip damage then take that away. He will (or might) eventually try to approach.

smesty

Smash Cadet
I didn't really consider air dodging the bombs for grabbing, I might try that next time around and just attempt to camp him out.

It's just so boooooooooooooring.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Unfortunately without solid projectiles of your own or good disjointed hitboxes, it's the only thing I can think of. If you can brute force your way past the projectiles and force him to roll you can punish it with heel slide in the direction you expect them to roll. Might be less effective but more entertaining of a match.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Heel Slide isn't an approach, that is your problem. Nair, d-tilt, bair, divekick, all function as great tools in neutral. You are also playing a character that can't outbutton you! Get in there with grabs, force him into the air or off the stage. From here, if hes juggled expect a bair or nair, which you Witch Time and kill the **** outta him. If he is offstage, lingering nair, dair, Bullet Climax and Witch Time mean you should be able to secure gimps.

Abuse shield, learn to walk on the ground and powershield at will. SH or Spot Dodge to avoid his predictable grabs, and then punish him hard. You are finally playing a character that can't outspeed us with jab dramatically, so enjoy that as well. After a few bairs, rapid jab will pressure shield too much for him to survive and you'll score a nice horizontal hit.

Basically one of the best advantage stages VS one of the worst Disadvantaged States. Our neutral is better, our advantage is better, our Disadvantage way better with Witch Time.

Play some FG link style to learn where the holes are. Ground based powershield play is a problem for the Links, for starters. Its also very demoralizing to hear Ping Ping Ping each time they throw projectiles, knowing they aren't even doing shield pressure.

Link is gonna think his tether is a good tool here, make him regret not having a quick grab.

Top Bottom