• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta vs Corrin matchup?

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
After playing almost solely against Corrin players since last night, I find the Corrin matchup to be quite difficult. Most notably, I find the neutral game to be heavily in Corrins favor due to his crazy movement options and his long range. How is everyone else handling the matchup? Feels like it's in Corrins favor right now but once Bayonettas potential is flushed out I feel like she will have the advantage.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
shoot
a lot
one bullet from bullet climax beats her projectile by the way

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Hmm
I think it's way too early to be discussing matchups. We've had both of them for less than 24 hours.

Last edited:

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
Hmm
I think it's way too early to be discussing matchups. We've had both of them for less than 24 hours.
I see where you're coming from, but if other people are having issues with this matchup I feel like it has enough relevance at the moment to be discussed.

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
I agree this match up is seeming a bit difficult right now too, corrin has a long range which can make it hard to approach, especially with their projectiles. I think once we get used to her she should be able to deal with Corrin a bit better. I've been able to get better at the match up by just trying to be careful when they are doing that projectile ball thing, because if you start doing bullet climax it's really easy for them to come afterwards and fly in with the dash attack. Also one thing I noticed in FG, I'm pretty certain that somehow Corrin countered Bayonetta's bullet arts during a team battle, which I thought was really ridiculous , I hope I'm wrong about it but I dont know how else I got koed, anyone else had that happen to them?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
But we have bullet climax and SH shooting bull****
We don't need to approach, ever

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
C
I agree this match up is seeming a bit difficult right now too, corrin has a long range which can make it hard to approach, especially with their projectiles. I think once we get used to her she should be able to deal with Corrin a bit better. I've been able to get better at the match up by just trying to be careful when they are doing that projectile ball thing, because if you start doing bullet climax it's really easy for them to come afterwards and fly in with the dash attack. Also one thing I noticed in FG, I'm pretty certain that somehow Corrin countered Bayonetta's bullet arts during a team battle, which I thought was really ridiculous , I hope I'm wrong about it but I dont know how else I got koed, anyone else had that happen to them?
I don't think Corrin can counter the weak hits but maybe the stronger ones torwads the beginning of the move?

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Early, but if it helps, you can use Neutral Special to counter his Side Special. Also, if Corrin comes at you cancelling his lunge, it's an easy Witch Time. Corrin isn't someone I struggle with, but it doesn't matter since we haven't had them for a day yet.

Last edited:

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
It is not too early to be discussing matchups. We're having difficulty right now and we can at least discuss them.

You can't approach Corrin in the air, except afar with bullet arts. Your Uair doesn't out prioritize her Dair, but if you're to the side you can hit with your Uair at the beginning or end of it. S/he outranges you with that damn chainsaw sword (quick and strong). On the ground, your Smashes are too slow to punish Corrin unless you are in Witch Time. S/he dtilt can keep you up in the air (at low percents like Mario/Luigi's Utilts) until you're ready to be Usmashed by Corrin. Corrin's Uthrow needs to be DI'd properly (the same way you are thrown) or else you are going to die because of her lightness (100ish is the damage zone for you with the wrong DI) or s/he can follow up with aerials when you are at low percents. If you see a Side B on the ground, BLOCK, it kills. If you block it and Corrin launches in your direction, you can punish with a throw. You cannot punish s/him with a Fsmash from a failed Side B unless you are really early.

Last edited:

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
It is not too early to be discussing matchups. We're having difficulty right now and we can at least discuss them.

You can't approach Corrin in the air, except afar with bullet arts. Your Uair doesn't out prioritize her Dair, but if you're to the side you can hit with your Uair at the beginning or end of it. S/he outranges you with that damn chainsaw sword (quick and strong). On the ground, your Smashes are too slow to punish Corrin unless you are in Witch Time. S/he dtilt can keep you up in the air (at low percents like Mario/Luigi's Utilts) until you're ready to be Usmashed by Corrin. Corrin's Uthrow needs to be DI'd properly (the same way you are thrown) or else you are going to die because of her lightness (100ish is the damage zone for you with the wrong DI) or s/he can follow up with aerials when you are at low percents. If you see a Side B on the ground, BLOCK, it kills. If you block it and Corrin launches in your direction, you can punish with a throw. You cannot punish s/him with a Fsmash from a failed Side B unless you are really early.
if it's any help, I think Bayo's side b can go under Corrin's projectiles, I'm not sure if it can go under his smashes but I'll try and see

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
If I see Corrin charging their shot, I shoot BC. Baiting for a fsmash op? I use jab shots then speed into the rest of the combo if they get too close. Camping with DF Shot? I use dtilt shots. Literally you can rack up damage on Corrin all day with gun spacing, we can take it chill on this side of the stage.

Still too early for this, though. Keep playing the character.

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
oh yeah youre right I just checked ._. oh man its such a chore to dodge that move
I've taken to just powershielding or ABKicking over to see if I can sneak in a dair or land a WT on the chomp. I'm still trying to get a grip on this matchup in general, but tonight definitely went better than yesterday. Think they're both gonna end up being really good characters.

Last edited:

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Just my two cents but I also find the Corrin matchup to be difficult, they're just really speedy I feel? However I also find it fairly easy to trigger WT off of them, so I'm not too sure.

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
A little update. So I tried approaching with every single aerial, jab, tilt, ect. The only way you're gonna hit them by approaching is grabbing a counter. Otherwise you wanna focus your efforts on punishing. The dive kick, and nair feel particularly effective for punishing side b and the neutral b. Punishing grounded moves/ aerials iv found baiting and then witch time/ bair quite effective. When you can, down tilt, u air, and up throws have been generally pretty good combo starters. I find the safest combo to start and finish for me is divekick, afterburner, afterburner, up b, up air.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I also have some trouble with Corrin due his B and long range together that his Counter is super effective to use in air due how it launches you.

but we got the best counter and Bullet Climax, forcing them to approach

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
Not gonna lie getting rage tipper f-smashed from like 1/3 the way across battlefield from the ledge to die at obscenely low percents is kind of a turn off.

The match up forces the Bayonetta to work much harder than the Corrin.

Until the Corrins die down a bit online I'll put my Bayonetta on hold.

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
Not gonna lie getting rage tipper f-smashed from like 1/3 the way across battlefield from the ledge to die at obscenely low percents is kind of a turn off.

Imo Corrin is never gonna completely die off. At the rate things are going, Corrin could very well be high tier and be used quite frequently. Atm Bayonetta hasn't been explored enough yet but the matchup will eventually be understood. That's why we Bayonetta players gotta band together :p

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I find it alright actually. In general I find fighting Corrin tricky because of that side B & long range. You really have to be careful and play against them very differently.

Bae wouldn't give up on Dragon wannabee's.

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
It's hard to play safe against Corrin with Bayonetta if the Corrin player is halfway decent (luckily most aren't). They can condition you to shield very easily because if you don't play the match up safe you can just get blown out.

They really only have to hit you 3-4 times to take a stock. Bayonetta has Sheik's new weight (84) her framedata is up on kuroganehammer right now. She's also floatier than Sheik (which is probably why Sheik died 1% earlier in my Ness backthrow test). So you really have to watch out for being above Corrin too. Dair isn't a get out of jail free card, it's super punishable on whiff.

You can die at crazy low percents to Corrin's counter so you have to be super careful about pressuring Corrin too. My first game ever vs Corrin, I was dominating Corrin was at 120%ish I was at 13% got hit by a counter twice and died at about 75%.

Corrin completely sets the pace of the game and there isn't much Bayonetta can do about that.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Y'all need to just chill with the "idk how to beat corrin in neutral" talk. Also if you're talking about for glory then you might as well be talking about a non-competetive aspect of the game, which it is. In my opinion Bayo is kind of similar to sheik in regards to her performance on for glory. Both characters require a great deal of precision with inputs and spacing that is simply impossible to perform unless you have a perfect internet connection. So don't stress if you aren't winning for glory matches, they really mean nothing. My advice is to practice your movement and options on lvl 9 bots who force you to be frame perfect in a lag free environment.

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
Y'all need to just chill with the "idk how to beat corrin in neutral" talk. Also if you're talking about for glory then you might as well be talking about a non-competetive aspect of the game, which it is. In my opinion Bayo is kind of similar to sheik in regards to her performance on for glory. Both characters require a great deal of precision with inputs and spacing that is simply impossible to perform unless you have a perfect internet connection. So don't stress if you aren't winning for glory matches, they really mean nothing. My advice is to practice your movement and options on lvl 9 bots who force you to be frame perfect in a lag free environment.
When reading a thread you should automatically assume we are talking about locally and not for glory. No one is saying the neutral is impossible, just pretty difficult. So please don't lump us all and say we are expressing these negative ideas. The whole point of this thread is to figure out ways to beat Corrin players. Sorry if I'm coming off rude but I just needed to make sure you're not misunderstanding what we are talking about :).

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
After playing a local half decent Corrin for a while, I have no clue why people say the neutral is difficult.
you can basically force him to approach just by jumping around and shooting bullets everywhere and his moves aren't exactly hard to read for some hot WT action.
Edgeguarding him is pretty easy as well. Our dAir actually trades with his uSpecial and can easily spike, and just jumping in with a long nAir can ruin his day.
As long as you don't throw smashes into his counter, I don't see how the MU is particularly hard.

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
Small little tidbit I found while playing. At like 0-10 ish percent nair into grab seems to be true even with away di and spamming inputs. You can then pummel a few times and then get some sort of up throw follow up. Nair is a good counter to side b so great for some early side b punishes

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
You dont need to approach corrin is the thing. Witch Time is godlike. Bullet Climax eats his projectile outright and theres no reason not to camp him. You can easily avoid his side b kick, and corrin isnt very fast honestly. This is a match up that i feel comes down to patience. But as others have said it is very early. These things are just things that ive gleaned so far.

Its also worth noting that Corrin has a much lower learning curve than bayonetta, so you may just need more practice. As it stands now, i dont think its a very hard matchup at all.

Last edited:

Ninja Girl

Smash Rookie
Corrin can be annoying in neutral just because of the spacing game, but I find it's best to just play patient and wait for an opportunity to hit a side B, or f tilt, or any decent combo starter. Bayo obviously racks up damage fast and has a good amount of tools to edge guard Corrin. Neutral B can force them to recover above or below the bullets. There's a ton of different ways to fight offstage with her aerials and side b/up b, and if they aren't careful you might even catch them with a dair or dsmash for a free stock. If you can read Corrin's side b onto the stage then you can also catch it with Witch Time.

Obviously it's too early to say who wins the match up since we're all still learning both characters but that's my 2 cents on it on first glance.

Pika!

Smash Rookie
NNID
ObviouslyKorean
You dont need to approach corrin is the thing. Witch Time is godlike. Bullet Climax eats his projectile outright and theres no reason not to camp him. You can easily avoid his side b kick, and corrin isnt very fast honestly. This is a match up that i feel comes down to patience. But as others have said it is very early. These things are just things that ive gleaned so far.

Its also worth noting that Corrin has a much lower learning curve than bayonetta, so you may just need more practice. As it stands now, i dont think its a very hard matchup at all.
This. The only annoying thing I can say about Corrin was his / her aerials and counter. Great timed Nairs, and Fairs usually giving me the most trouble. Haven't had enough experience with Corrin but the Bair usually keeps faking me out... Such a weird Bair... Aside from that the Matchup should obviously go to whoever outplayed the other. Bayo has enough options to force Corrin out of their comfort zone, most notably being able to push over the projectile, but it doesn't mean Corrin is completely defenseless. Careless aerial mistakes can still let the Corrin counter for a kill. Overall IMO some people might be forgetting the importance of bullet climax. The characters are still new and I guess only time will tell...

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Haven't fought a Corrin so I can't give much input, but Bullet Climax is good at countering short hop approaches. His recovery is pretty mediocre also from what I've seen.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
You don't even have to be passive in this match-up, just never stop SH and cross up SHnair'ing. Do not approach from the ground and do not approach in front of him aerially either.
Lastly, do not approach with fair or ground side b unless you see a punish opportunity, (non fully charged b etc).
If you see them approaching you from the air, neutral b every time. ABK angled down whenever you can (especially as soon as they have finished charged neutral b WAIT FOR THE BITE)
Learn your combo percentages. (double angled down side bs at 0 percent etc. otherwise you will eat counters) WT whenever you see corrin side B. nair or dair EVERYTIME you get corrin offstage depending on the situation

In this matchup from what I have experienced you are not trying to fight him headon, just use your amazing air mobility, keep opening him up from behind and punish his bad recovery

Last edited:

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
For Corrin's recovery, using witch time to dsmash or dair is a good option. You can also use BC at the edge to make it tougher for him/her to recover.

Danwon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Danwon
I have a hard time against Mario, i don't know how to counter his fireball, can someone help me ?

Top Bottom