• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta, roster size teased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
First off, this thread would be more appropriate in the E3 and Nintendo Direct board.

Secondly, there is no way anyone has that much information about Nintendo's presentation. Now that their reveals are coming via Nintendo Direct, their cards are even closer to their chest than normal this time of year. Mysterious NeoGAF posters are not exempt.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"Furthermore, he also disclosed that Nintendo will be going "all out" by having a big roster in order to please fans"

Doesn't that counter exactly what Sakurai has said about having less newcomers? Definitely not buying any of these rumors pre-Nintendo Direct, for the same reason as Starphoenix stated above, their info is as closely kept to them as ever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This just seems like a desperate attempt to grab views by the site. I'd love it to be true but...

Codeman23

Smash Rookie
I cant wait til it becomes true and you'll all look back at this and apologize :)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I cant wait til it becomes true and you'll all look back at this and apologize :)
How is this a reliable source, you say? There's no proof the "insider" works for Nintendo, so all we know is he's a troll just trying to get peoples hopes up. Also, Sakurai said he is focusing less of filling the roster up, and focusing more on character balance. Not that we won't get any new characters, we obviously will, but (as wariofan said) "going all out on the roster" is where I get very skeptical about the article.

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
You guys do understand that the first article citing NeoGaf as a source, right? A place where you'll get banned for misinformation. To doubt this is seriously going heavy against the odds.

The second one is questionable seeing as I've never really heard of 3DS daily but Sonic returning seems likely with the partnership Sega and Nintendo. Kamiya's friendly terms with Nintendo and said nintendo/sega relationship doesn't rule out Bayonneta so there's always a possibility and I wouldn't rule it out.

Codeman23

Smash Rookie
At least I got someone. Look I'm just trying to help the time pass while waiting for the Nintendo direct and e3. I'm just wanting any kind of news to help me through.

hydrokyogre

Smash Apprentice
Haha, are you serious? This is just more of Shui Ta's generic speculation rambling. He's been publishing a three-sentence examiner article peppered with words like "insider", "confirmed", "revealed", etc literally every day for the last month or so. It's kind of obvious that he's making up stories to get viewers.

Also, if "Super Mario Retroverse U" is actually the title of the successor of Super Mario Galaxy... Lol.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
You guys do understand that the first article citing NeoGaf as a source, right? A place where you'll get banned for misinformation. To doubt this is seriously going heavy against the odds.

The second one is questionable seeing as I've never really heard of 3DS daily but Sonic returning seems likely with the partnership Sega and Nintendo. Kamiya's friendly terms with Nintendo and said nintendo/sega relationship doesn't rule out Bayonneta so there's always a possibility and I wouldn't rule it out.

Is getting banned really that big of a deal? It seems like an extremely small price to pay to stir up discussion and speculation regardless if it was true.

D

Deleted member

Just because it was placed on NeoGAF doesn't mean it's true. Even with NeoGAF's notorious reputation for banning people for misinformation, people still do so and this is almost certainly one of these misinformation case as it contradicts Sakurai's statement about not having too many newcomers.
Is getting banned really that big of a deal? It seems like an extremely small price to pay to stir up discussion and speculation regardless if it was true.
NeoGAF is selective with who gets in and who doesn't and it favors people in college/universities. Junior members are placed under strict watch and you can get banned at anytime for failing to follow the rules. This is the one site that will give little mercy to those who don't follow the rules, which is why I try to link to everything I can prove to avoid getting banned when I post there.

So it's more than just a small price to pay; especially when you only get one account.

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
Just because it was placed on NeoGAF doesn't mean it's true. Even with NeoGAF's notorious reputation for banning people for misinformation, people still do so and this is almost certainly one of these misinformation case as it contradicts Sakurai's statement about not having too many newcomers.
Didn't Sakurai make that comment before Namco Bandai was added to the project. I can only assume minds change when your workload is decreased.

Also the rumor is so vague that the chance of this rumor being true are I believe fairly high, unless Sakurai comes right off the bat and announces that they'll be less newcomers again we'll just have to wait and see.

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai make that comment before Namco Bandai was added to the project. I can only assume minds change when your workload is decreased.

Also the rumor is so vague that the chance of this rumor being true are I believe fairly high, unless Sakurai comes right off the bat and announces that they'll be less newcomers again we'll just have to wait and see.
It's not just balance to be concern about when adding newcomers, it's really what Sakurai considers worthy of a spot. Bayonetta, like everyone else, has to go through whenever or not Sakurai deems her worthy of a spot and let's be honest here, she's not nearly as well-known as the likes of Mega Man and Pac-Man and isn't a iconic character. She also suffers from her character being defined by her sexuality, meaning that if she was put in Smash, a core part of her personality is gone. Given that Sakurai place higher expectations on third-parties than Nintendo characters, while she doesn't necessarily make this rumor false, there really isn't any reason to believe that Sakurai will add her in.

Namco Bandai also started work with Sakurai after development started (development started on February, 2013 while Namco Bandai announced partnership on June 23rd, 2012) and given that characters are one of the first thing Sakurai decides on, chances are that it'd be too late to add Bayonetta.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sakurai will only change character if, like Sonic, the opportunity to do so comes late in development.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
After what we've had with Melee, it's possible to see a silhouette, and NeoGAF is by far the place where rumors come true more than any other site I can even think of or try to compare.

Part of it could be true; regardless, it's only another two weeks. We can wait.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai will only change character if, like Sonic, the opportunity to do so comes late in development.
At this rate, I don't see this happening towards third-parties again. Part of the reason why Sonic was so hard to fit in was because Sakurai had to get Sonic in at the very last minute. If third-parties are included again, they will almost certainly be done from the start so that Sakurai has more time to plan out their inclusion. Bayonetta 2's announcement came after Sakurai started development in the game and I don't see Sakurai including a character who is not only very unorthodox, but also far less popular than Sonic or Mega Man (and I don't see Mega Man as a last-minute addition).

The only way I see this happening is with last minute semi-clone additions for Nintendo characters (Roy, Bowser Jr., etc).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
After what we've had with Melee, it's possible to see a silhouette, and NeoGAF is by far the place where rumors come true more than any other site I can even think of or try to compare.

Part of it could be true; regardless, it's only another two weeks. We can wait.
What other NeoGAF rumors have actually been true?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Bayonetta as a character is so un-nintendo. i dont see that ever happening. they going to allow a character that uses her clothes as weapons in the game? for he record Bayonetta is one of my favorie gamecharacters but i dont see it as plausible.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Does anyone else find it cute whenever a "Smash Rookie", try to post either:

A) A lulzy rumor
B) Some information that's already been revealed through someone else?

Methinks they do this so they can get their 5 minutes of fame.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Does anyone else find it cute whenever a "Smash Rookie", try to post either:
A) A lulzy rumor
B) Some information that's already been revealed through someone else?
No. I don't like it.

Though I think they because they are n00bs.

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
It's not just balance to be concern about when adding newcomers, it's really what Sakurai considers worthy of a spot. Bayonetta, like everyone else, has to go through whenever or not Sakurai deems her worthy of a spot and let's be honest here, she's not nearly as well-known as the likes of Mega Man and Pac-Man and isn't a iconic character. She also suffers from her character being defined by her sexuality, meaning that if she was put in Smash, a core part of her personality is gone. Given that Sakurai place higher expectations on third-parties than Nintendo characters, while she doesn't necessarily make this rumor false, there really isn't any reason to believe that Sakurai will add her in.

Namco Bandai also started work with Sakurai after development started (development started on February, 2013 while Namco Bandai announced partnership on June 23rd, 2012) and given that characters are one of the first thing Sakurai decides on, chances are that it'd be too late to add Bayonetta.
(Please don't take this as an insult) I wasn't referring to Bayonetta or that rumor in any form(in that post) I was referring to the roster and the comment made by Sakurai saying fewer newcomers coming after the appearance of Namco Bandai. The vagueness of the rumor except the silhouette part leaves it up to interpretation. Ultimately I agree it's a bad rumor, but it has a high chance of being true, considering most fighting games like putting silhouettes as marketing.

My thoughts on the Bayonetta one though. I'm very iffy because it's from an unreliable source and as you said Bayonetta is highly sexualized. The only thing going for her is that she's owned by Kamiya and Sega and both seem fond of Nintendo at the moment. Other than that she's probably not gonna get in. Kamiya has another game that he could ask Nintendo to for his character and I highly doubt Sega would add two reps from different series. But really who knows.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I am not at all pleased with the idea of Retro having spent all this time on Star Tropics. I have absolutely no relationship with the game whatsoever.

Sure, it would be cool with some blasts from the past, but Retro is associated with more recent series in my book, and besides why put so much investment in a series that doesn't have the same appeal as Metroid or DKC, Retro's previous "reboots"? I suspect F-Zero, Starfox or more Metroid, provided it isn't a new IP.

The Zelda rumor is perfectly believable, making it another common-sensical rumor anyojne could bring out. The large Smash roster sounds good, of course, but I would prefer it if they made the game with a limited roster and introduced DLC some months after release, fairly priced and based on fan favorites that didn't make it in before launch.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya this close to the reveal there's going to be lots of rumors and hearsay I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Especially the Bayonetta thing she just doesn't seem that likely, at least to me anyway.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The uncertainty of all this is killing me. If I was given the chance, I would gladly skip ahead to Tuesday.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
"Furthermore, he also disclosed that Nintendo will be going "all out" by having a big roster in order to please fans"

Doesn't that counter exactly what Sakurai has said about having less newcomers?

When has he ever said this? Links and quotes please.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
When has he ever said this? Links and quotes please.
“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/92809/sakurai-change-of-direction-may-be-needed-for-next-smash-bros/

Their source is Nintendo Power from when Kid Icarus: Uprising had just been released.

He actually goes as far as to say that the roster has even reached its limit, however, I'm fairly certain that even he knows that the characters are what sells the game in the end.

By the way, that link should really be in the directory thread, I hate having to search for it everytime.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Again, I think DLC, if implemented correctly, would be great for Smash 4

- Larger roster without harming balance (every new character could be playtested and compared suitably)
- The game can be released in time (Sakurai and the others will know they won't have ONE shot to satisfy the diverse fanbase - if they can't make character Z ready for launch, they can skip doing it for launch because they know they can get it done for the DLC release).
- Nintendo can show how DLC is done right (months after release when purchasers have started exhausting the original content and start asking for fresher content that is balanced and asked for, not cosmetic BS and "Day One" DLC)
- Nintendo can use their most hyped game series for extra momentum and show people they know how to do online functionality correctly (Nintendo has fallen behind in terms of online credibility and needs the extra hype)
- Good DLC can be used for community and hype purposes (Polls and exciting countdowns after launch could be used to breathe life into franchises and the Smash series - the margins on DLC for new characters and stages should be INSANE)
- Nintendo can show its fans it "cares" (Your favorite character didn't get included? Sorry, we wanted to get the game out for launch. But hey, for five bucks you can get that character and a lot more, and it won't be "Day One DLC" but months after the launch, so you shouldn't feel exploited)
- More third party characters could be introduced later without harming the "spirit" of the original release (people may think a third-party character is unsuitable for the original release, but after some time they may enjoy the idea of a "novelty" character from another company.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still believe Sakurai knows the fans WANT a good number of new characters, as Smash has shown itself thus far to be a series that packs them in.

In addition, he's got a huge team, and help from Namdai. I'd go so far as to say if we don't have at minimum 45 characters (not counting PT and transforms) I'll be very, very shocked.

That said, I doubt both Snake's removal and Bayonetta's inclusion. And this rumor. But we'll see, won't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom