• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta and the age rating

kuk

Smash Cadet
So, exactly what has been censored based on the Bayonetta games? Blood and her bare butt showing as far as I can tell. Something else?

I think it's funny and also telling how such a sexual character can make it into Smash just by avoiding PEGI's and ESRB's rules. I mean, there's no specific rule against a sexual crouching pose, so they put it in - just as an example. I think kids will enjoy her!

Personally, I love both violence and sex, did since I was a kid.

Extra question: Is her butt fatter than Samus's? I'd say no.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, basically blood, a large amount of partial nudity, and swearing have been removed. Also more of the intense suggestive themes have been removed.

They did a good job of keeping her accurate for the most part, but it's only obvious they'd have to stop in some places with the E10+ rating.

Last edited:

kuk

Smash Cadet
Yeah, basically blood, a large amount of nudity, and swearing have been removed. Also more of the intense suggestive themes have been removed.

They did a good job of keeping her accurate for the most part, but it's only obvious they'd have to stop in some places with the E10+ rating.
There was no nudity in Bayonetta (bare butt doesn't count as nudity). Otherwise, yeah. Swearing, good point.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Bayonetta's one swear word. Gone. :laugh:

But yeah, her more risque stuff has been taken out.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The lack of pole dancing, and for good reasons too.

Then there's the Torture Attacks...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
But Palutena pole dances...
But it's just one gleeful twirl as a opposed to the other styles of pole dancing that Bayonetta knows. Try looking at Bayonetta 2's ending as a reference.

D

Deleted member

Swearing, blood, drug usage, slight nudity, intense suggestive themes, violence are most "controversial" ones.

There was no nudity in Bayonetta (bare butt doesn't count as nudity). Otherwise, yeah. Swearing, good point.

Partial nudity.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Besides the obvious, I'm surprised her Final Smash is what it is. It's brutal. If I were little, it'd probably freak me out no lie.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I understand the Japanese gaming ratings system is actually more strict than ours is, so if Bayo is given the go ahead, the rating would have to go up, and Nintendo doesn't want that to happen, so I fear it's possible Bayo may be left out altogether in order to avoid the rating spike, in Japan and elsewhere. I can't imagine the dilemma facing Sakarai-san and his team. Do they go ahead with Bayonetta and have the rating hiked (even though she's optional DLC,) cutting off some younger players, or do they cut her out, keeping the E rating but alienating gamers who voted to put her in Smash. It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't scenario. Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I don't want to get too excited about Bayo until she's actually released.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I understand the Japanese gaming ratings system is actually more strict than ours is, so if Bayo is given the go ahead, the rating would have to go up, and Nintendo doesn't want that to happen, so I fear it's possible Bayo may be left out altogether in order to avoid the rating spike, in Japan and elsewhere. I can't imagine the dilemma facing Sakarai-san and his team. Do they go ahead with Bayonetta and have the rating hiked (even though she's optional DLC,) cutting off some younger players, or do they cut her out, keeping the E rating but alienating gamers who voted to put her in Smash. It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't scenario. Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I don't want to get too excited about Bayo until she's actually released.
This should have already been decided before they put all this time into development. It is a little to late to turn back. They should have been aware of the possible consequences of adding bayo from the beginning. I can't see them just pulling out now.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I hope you're right. Like I said, maybe I'm just too cautious, but you never know.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
In Bayonetta's games, when she used a wicked weave or climax attacks (Like her final smash) she become completely naked, with swirls of her hair conveniently censoring the forbidden places. In smash, she doesn't lose all of her clothes, but rather it becomes like a shorts and sleeveless suit, like ZSS's low clothes alts.

And of course the swearing is gone.

Also, the camera never is pointed directly at her breasts, butt, or pelvis, (as far as we know) and she never does moves to pointed touch or shake those places, such as she occasionally has in her own games.

I honestly don't mind because I didn't need all of that. She's still gonna be awesome.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Besides the obvious, I'm surprised her Final Smash is what it is. It's brutal. If I were little, it'd probably freak me out no lie.
Remember when Bowser bit people in Melee? Or have you not been chomped several times by Master Beast?

It's not so much the attack itself that's brutal, it's the implication. Every other move results in fighters being comically launched, but in hers you just die.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Remember when Bowser bit people in Melee? Or have you not been chomped several times by Master Beast?

It's not so much the attack itself that's brutal, it's the implication. Every other move results in fighters being comically launched, but in hers you just die.
That's... what I meant; and that the general imaging is pretty damn frightening.

Honestly the most intense move up until now in smash was probably Snake's pummel.

kuk

Smash Cadet
In Bayonetta's games, when she used a wicked weave or climax attacks (Like her final smash) she become completely naked, with swirls of her hair conveniently censoring the forbidden places. In smash, she doesn't lose all of her clothes, but rather it becomes like a shorts and sleeveless suit, like ZSS's low clothes alts.

And of course the swearing is gone.

Also, the camera never is pointed directly at her breasts, butt, or pelvis, (as far as we know) and she never does moves to pointed touch or shake those places, such as she occasionally has in her own games.

I honestly don't mind because I didn't need all of that. She's still gonna be awesome.
"Forbidden"? Do you call people's crotches "forbidden" places? Which century do you live in? GTA has full on nudity so it's not "forbidden". Why should even one part of the human body be "forbidden"?

Also, the trailer had a butt shot, so yes it's pointed at her butt (which is a good thing, because she has a nice butt).

I think Bayonetta and Zero Suit Samus will have some great competition about being the sexiest lady in Smash.

David Viran

Smash Lord
"Forbidden"? Do you call people's crotches "forbidden" places? Which century do you live in? GTA has full on nudity so it's not "forbidden". Why should even one part of the human body be "forbidden"?

Also, the trailer had a butt shot, so yes it's pointed at her butt (which is a good thing, because she has a nice butt).

I think Bayonetta and Zero Suit Samus will have some great competition about being the sexiest lady in Smash.
Ummmm, OK.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Think about it. Do you have an actual argument against what I said?
Yes. In Bayonetta you don't get to actually see her fully naked so I guess you could call the parts you don't see forbidden in that game.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Yes. In Bayonetta you don't get to actually see her fully naked so I guess you could call the parts you don't see forbidden in that game.
I would call them hidden, not forbidden. No part of the human body is forbidden.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I would call them hidden, not forbidden. No part of the human body is forbidden.
Forbidden or, in other words, not allowed. The player is not allowed to see those parts when she's nude in that game therefore those parts are forbidden to be seen in that game. I don't see what was wrong with using that word but whatever. You do you.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Forbidden or, in other words, not allowed. The player is not allowed to see those parts when she's nude in that game therefore those parts are forbidden to be seen in that game. I don't see what was wrong with using that word but whatever. You do you.
You can show genitalia in M rated games, which Bayonetta is. I strongly oppose calling anything human "forbidden". For some reason they wanted to hide it, though.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger

Sorry I didn't surround it in quotation marks, :V it was meant in a joking way, as many games will still make sure nipple and groin are covered, even if barely. So, "forbidden places," because plenty of games still cover up. Not to say some don't...

As for the butt being shown in the reveal trailer, I was specifying her IN GAME gameplay in particular. We can see so far that there aren't any purposeful gameplay zoom-ins in SSB4 on her..."forbidden places." :secretkpop:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
She wouldn't have gotten a trailer and an actual release time frame (Feb 2016) if she was going to be later omitted because they got scared the rating would go up. Bayonetta in her current form is fine for this game. She is coming out for all regions.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Sorry I didn't surround it in quotation marks, :V it was meant in a joking way, as many games will still make sure nipple and groin are covered, even if barely. So, "forbidden places," because plenty of games still cover up. Not to say some don't...

As for the butt being shown in the reveal trailer, I was specifying her IN GAME gameplay in particular. We can see so far that there aren't any purposeful gameplay zoom-ins in SSB4 on her..."forbidden places." :secretkpop:
OK, if it was in a joking manner it's fine of course. :)

Well, that's kind of avoiding it, isn't it? It's like when Zero Suit Samus was revealed in Brawl, that trailer also showed a blatant butt shot. I mean, Bayonetta has a fine butt, probably firmer than Samus's, but still fine. I think it's good that they show it off as much as possible, fans want to see it.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Please also consider the article pointed out by Source Gaming about CERO and its strict ratings.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/18/cero-and-palutenas-censorship/

This time, the developers took into consideration with not only the western ratings board, but also CERO as major influences in toning down adult-rated aspects to fit in with a the family friendly game. Also if you played the Bayonetta games, they also made the character a lot more suggestive than it would be for toning it down, despite that partial nudity does show. The most important character aspects of Bayonetta does not fall too much under adult ratings such as being friendly, caring, playful, teasing, and cunning.

Smash 4's interpretation of Bayonetta is very likely to be the best since it stays with the source material while toning down explicative parts.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
There's no way they would announce and begin serious development on a character before checking to make sure their ideas for said character would be acceptable for the current age rating.

If Bayonetta's appearance would have raised the rating, we would have never seen her in the first place. Someone else would have been chosen instead.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
They noticeably shrunk her gozangas and flattened that booty.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I dare to say that while some of you say it is not considered nudity, I do feel she was more naked on Bayonetta 2 due to that buttocks scene in the opening. Never saw something that revealing in the first game. Despite that, I do feel the story was more "lighthearted" and they added Loki to make the story somewhat more kid friendly, as by adding a kid sidekick to make it less "girm" of sorts.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
Adding a child that swears like a sailor who's likely older than Bayonetta doesn't exactly constitute "kid friendly."

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I dare to say that while some of you say it is not considered nudity, I do feel she was more naked on Bayonetta 2 due to that buttocks scene in the opening. Never saw something that revealing in the first game. Despite that, I do feel the story was more "lighthearted" and they added Loki to make the story somewhat more kid friendly, as by adding a kid sidekick to make it less "girm" of sorts.
She was completely nude in the opening of Bayo 1

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Bayo calls him "little one". I call him "plot device".

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If Shadow the Hedgehog could get away with an E10+ rating I'm sure with Bayonetta toned down enough it'll pass just fine.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, that's kind of avoiding it, isn't it? It's like when Zero Suit Samus was revealed in Brawl, that trailer also showed a blatant butt shot. I mean, Bayonetta has a fine butt, probably firmer than Samus's, but still fine. I think it's good that they show it off as much as possible, fans want to see it.
That's just too much information right here. :/

Top Bottom