• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic tips for Pit (Q's not guide)

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
I'm new to Brawl and just started getting addicted to it. Right now I'm maining pit and so I started to watch some vids for him. I noticed one thing inparticular, why do players use up+b more than simply jumping right when they're below the ledge? And as another quick question I feel that since I'm just starting with pit that I should get a good controller setup. What I'm using now is everything normal, except that I have tap jumping off. Is that a good setup for Pit, or should I change something like C-smashes to C-tilts?:confused:

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong thread...

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Nope, thread is fine man. And as for your controller setup that's what I'm currently using as well. However I have R set to grab as well as Z.

However I don't quite understand your Up-B question. Could you rephrase that for me?

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
People use Up-B at the ledge to grab it faster; WoI sweetspots the ledge on contact while jumps wait until Pit's vertical momentum is 0 or downwards.

Now that you mention it, C-tilts would be a great idea. D-tilt and U-tilt are excellent moves and I should use them more.

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
Thanks. In all the vids I watched, people would use WoI right as they're near the edge and I couldn't figure out why.

Btw I saw a vid of someone shooting an arrow into the edge of FD and it stayed there glowing. Is that a glitch or a AT, and if it's either is it used for anything?

Edit: Is there, not necessarily a guide, but some place that has some strats /info on using the mirror shield? I searched, but could'nt find anything specific on it.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Thanks. In all the vids I watched, people would use WoI right as they're near the edge and I couldn't figure out why.

Btw I saw a vid of someone shooting an arrow into the edge of FD and it stayed there glowing. Is that a glitch or a AT, and if it's either is it used for anything?

Edit: Is there, not necessarily a guide, but some place that has some strats /info on using the mirror shield? I searched, but could'nt find anything specific on it.
I'm pretty sure when you shoot an arrow into the side of a stage and it stays there it's a glitch, this actually happened to me yesterday.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
People use Up-B at the ledge to grab it faster; WoI sweetspots the ledge on contact while jumps wait until Pit's vertical momentum is 0 or downwards.

Now that you mention it, C-tilts would be a great idea. D-tilt and U-tilt are excellent moves and I should use them more.
THe only real problem with c tilts is that it can make you jump at random times when you hit the C-stick rather then attack, and any good player will tell you "no bad ____ don't jump there." Along with the fact that when you do a smash attack with > and A it must charge for at least 1 frame, adding no extra damage but adding 1 frame of start up lag to your attack, but if you use the C-stick it doesn't have that 1frame of lag and is at the same damage as the >A. Infact you can't even charge up your C-stick attacks unless you hold A as you are doing them.

Another point on the C-stick is most players use it for air attacks as it has less DI and you can counter the little DI it has with your Joystick (much eaiser to use both Cstick and Joystick then >A and Cstick). And again if you have the Cstick set to tilts or anything other then smash there is always that chance that you will jump instead of attack and that could be the differece between a pinged Bair and getting killed by Marths up air.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
I just C-tilts out. It's not really for me. I don't know about differences in how much you DI, but there was definitely the problem of jumping when I didn't want to, and I had a hard time in close combat since to do tilts I had to be on the ground and not moving. I thought I could use u-tilt's very fast start-up time to my advantage by punishing like I would with MK's d-smash, but the range of it is too small.

Also I randomly did neutral airs when I shorthopped aerials with the tilt stick. Anyone know why this is?

I wish I could set the D-pad to tilts.

Top Bottom