• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Captain Falcon techniques.

Mann

Smash Ace
Falcon still use some of the old Melee tactics. Those that used to suck before, actually might be useful now. I apologize for the quality in advance, no time to go shopping around, so just using a digital camera at the moment. -Jack Johnson songs are playing in the background of some.

The more you get used to the game, the more you are able to think ahead and lead your opponent where you want him/her to be. If not, you still will be able to figure out at least where your opponent is going to move.

To do list:
SHAD uses. - Can anyone confirm anything about using an Nair after a 'SHAD'? Like using dodging more at the beginning instead of towards landing.
Actual game play.
Tap Reset
Ledge hops.
Higher quality.

Auto-Cancelling
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qKy9xisbn14
Been known, if you do the c-stick right after you flick up on the controller, you will land with no lag and standing up.

Alternative to Dash Dancing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=V3dWnORePD0
If you really don't want to mess up your controller, you don't have to dash dance as fast what is known as dash dancing. In Melee, people did not have to dash then wait for the pivot. It was easy enough to Dash Dance to your desires. In Brawl, that's not always possible.
Try and get used to how short a distance you can go without having trouble going back again. You can also bait your opponents into trying to attack you, only to see you running away to avoid the hit and come back to punish.
-It isn't that hard to perform. Start dashing back and forth. During the dashes, try and keep the distances smaller between the times you pivot.

Extended Fsmash
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hPDkQ7hoI-4
Right after you press back/forward, press the C-stick immediately after. You can see the difference between a regular Fsmash and extended.
Also there's three versions of the extended fsmash.

1) right on analog, right on c-stick
2) left on analog, right on c-stick
3) right on analog, left on analog, right on c-stick

I wrote them in order of least distance gained to greatest distance gained. Just reverse the directions if you want to go the other way.

Reverse Fsmash
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mOIvDuQocbc
This is not the extended Fsmash. As you can see he moves back a bit, able to dodge/bait some moves coming his way and leading into an Fsmash. The idea came from watching Tipman's Trifoce of Power. I'm still trying to figure out if you can do the same with the Ftilt. Anyone?
- Go backwards as if you were to dash the opposite direction, then immediately press Forward A.

RaRing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0AVHFoPnOFM
It's not as smooth as it should be, but that's the basic idea of it.
OoNoiroO said:
Because of the new game mechanics in Brawl, you can run forward, turn around, and jump, making your character keep your forward jumping momentum while facing the other way.

Simply Run forward, then turn around and jump at the same time. Then hold the direction you were running toward.

This feels like a very important technique, as many characters have very good Back aerials, but bad or decent Neutral airs or forward airs.

Short Hop Aerials and follow ups.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zOqlO78z9Ts
-One might face challenges with Falcon to connect one hit after another. Like how to continue after a Dthrow. Doing a shorthop Uair while holding up, after you land you press A again to lead into a Utilt. I need help on testing this as I haven't had much time, but I've experienced having this connect with floaty characters, and those who are heavy but past 40%.
- SH Nairs to Jabs.
- I haven't tried RaRing yet to see some Bair leads.

Final Destination Recovery
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9b1pjBxTwvM
I've noticed some people during online play that they have trouble recovering under Final Destination. Remember that term Direction Influence? Hold the direction where the edge is above you.

Still uploading some vids. It lowers my self-esteem when youtube tells me I failed.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Your alternative to dash dancing needs a better explanation. Are you just talking about fox trotting back and forth? And also, how do you execute that reversh f-smash?

Mann

Smash Ace
Your alternative to dash dancing needs a better explanation. Are you just talking about fox trotting back and forth? And also, how do you execute that reversh f-smash?
Youtube tells me I fail. Which is why I haven't put anything up in it yet. (Broadcast: Fail)

I'll edit descriptions more over time once I'm not doing everything at once. To do the reverse fsmash, it will be almost like doing a dash dance. You press back, and right after you press Forward A. You'll know you did it correctly if your smash comes out. If you don't turn right away you'll find yourself doing a dash attack the opposite direction. As shown there.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I find an easier way to perform that reverse smash, which can be done with any character is start dashing one way and IMMEDIATELY press the C-stick in the opposite direction...VOILA!

Mann

Smash Ace
I find an easier way to perform that reverse smash, which can be done with any character is start dashing one way and IMMEDIATELY press the C-stick in the opposite direction...VOILA!
Sometimes if you do it too fast you might do the extended Fsmash. But that's more of a preference. I just prefer using A.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Won't you only do an extended F-smash if you hit the c-stick in the same direction of your dash?

Sasurai_no_Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
If you use the C-Stick you'll most likely end up doing the Extended F-Smash unless you're careful with the timing. Mann's way seems a little easier to do since it'll help Falcon move back a little then F-Smash.
Thanks for the SH-Leads! That's exactly what I needed against my friend! Now I should have a better chance against his Ike.
I hope you do RaRing soon since I don't understand that concept.

Mann

Smash Ace
If you use the C-Stick you'll most likely end up doing the Extended F-Smash unless you're careful with the timing. Mann's way seems a little easier to do since it'll help Falcon move back a little then F-Smash.
Thanks for the SH-Leads! That's exactly what I needed against my friend! Now I should have a better chance against his Ike.
I hope you do RaRing soon since I don't understand that concept.
Sadly I'm heading out to work. Try this, start running forward. Try to pivot the opposite direction and you'll see yourself turn. After that jump and hold the direction forward again and you'll continue moving forward backwards.

I didn't feel like searching through threads so I tried it out on my own. So you just have to basically jump after you try to turn and run backwards.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Youtube tells me I fail. Which is why I haven't put anything up in it yet. (Broadcast: Fail)

I'll edit descriptions more over time once I'm not doing everything at once. To do the reverse fsmash, it will be almost like doing a dash dance. You press back, and right after you press Forward A. You'll know you did it correctly if your smash comes out. If you don't turn right away you'll find yourself doing a dash attack the opposite direction. As shown there.
mmmm, I was wondering how you avoided the extended fsmash. Thanks.

*Edit*

Also there's three versions of the extended fsmash.

1) right on analog, right on c-stick
2) left on analog, right on c-stick
3) right on analog, left on analog, right on c-stick

I wrote them in order of least distance gained to greatest distance gained. Just reverse the directions if you want to go the other way.

Sasurai_no_Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
I just tried all these techniques out and they were wonderful! I didn't know there were THREE ways to do the extended F-Smash and the RaR technique seems like it could come in handy! I remember times where I wanted to pull a Bair on the enemy. This might just be the key!
Thanks you guys. =)

Mizar

Smash Ace
Today something weird happened. When I used up-B with falcon he kinda wavelanded after he touched the ground. I know the DI is huge in his up-B move, but this was totally something different. Did someone else experience this too? He slided quite far too. I didn't want to make a new thread about this so I'll just ask here if you guys dont mind. I can't record my gameplay though, so maybe someone can try this out and give some feedback. Thanks.

Mann

Smash Ace
Today something weird happened. When I used up-B with falcon he kinda wavelanded after he touched the ground. I know the DI is huge in his up-B move, but this was totally something different. Did someone else experience this too? He slided quite far too. I didn't want to make a new thread about this so I'll just ask here if you guys dont mind. I can't record my gameplay though, so maybe someone can try this out and give some feedback. Thanks.
It's the new game physics. It's the cause of your momentum coming from somewhere on to some place. I think there's a small example of it when I tried to do the recovery. I deleted my previous video of showing FD recoveries where he did a longer slide than usual.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I really like the FB Fsmash extension. I've only been doing the B Fsmash one until today and now that I learned about this one I feel a lot more comfortable in my Fsmash. Nice technique. The other thing I just learned today is the reverse Fsmash. That is also useful at times but overall I use the FB Fsmash more. Anyways good job guys this is a good thread.

Mann

Smash Ace
I use the reverse Fsmash more than the extended due to my younger brother's aggressive play with his Peach. Because of tax season I haven't had a lot of time to play or go around meeting players, but keep requests or anything that can help other Falcon users keep their game up coming.

Top Bottom