• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Bowser Jr. combo setups

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
So, you wanna learn some Koopa Kombos? Hopefully this will give you a better understanding of racking up more damage with these kids. Before we start is that the majority of his combos often end in a fair, but fair is a great move any way so it's not a big deal and all the percentages are estimates and not guaranteed on all characters. Let's begin!
Koopa Clown Kart Jump: This is the combo starter I use the most. After using side B just flick the control stick up or press X/Y. It combos into so many aerials! Kart jump to dair works on majority of the cast from 0%-20%. (We'll get to more dair later) Kart jump to fair works on the cast from 20%-60%. Kart jump to uair is a consistent kill setup on some of the cast at around 150% and works on the rest from 30%-130%! A HUGE kill setup which is very picky is Kart jump to up B hammer from around 90%-105%. Kart jump to bair also works at the same percent as Kart jump to dair as well.
Mechakoopa: This is probably one of the best stage-controlling projectiles in the game. When a person is hit with it they go straight up. This can be followed up with pretty much any aerial as long as you are fast enough. You can also aim a cannonball to hit the target as well but it takes some practice.
Dair: NOTE: USE WITH CAUTION DUE TO LANDING LAG. The last hit is all that matters. Dair to dash attack works from about 0%-30%. Dair to fair surprisingly works from around 15%-60%.
Utilt: I don't use this move that much but it is a combo starter. Utilt to Usmash or another utilt works at really low percents and utilt to uair works from about 20%-60%.

That's about all I have, do you guys have any combo starters? Did I do something wrong? Tell me! :)

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
known known known known known known and cannonball is ass

Dr. Shades

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5069-4356-8577
I heard about all this, but what can start a Up-Tilt combo? I feel like there's a reliable combo into it, but I would like to hear from you guys.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I heard about all this, but what can start a Up-Tilt combo? I feel like there's a reliable combo into it, but I would like to hear from you guys.
Utilt has pretty bad horizontal reach and i think it's easiest to hit with when the opponent tries to apporach aerially or in a juggle situation.

As for setups or combos into Utilt there aren't very many but these are all i know:

* The landing hitbox of Fair true combos into Utilt at 0% - 999% (!) The easiest way to hit with this is to shorthop airdodge, and then buffer a Fair Before you land. If you do it correctly only this hitbox will come out.

* Dair > Utilt also combos at about 0 - 45% (on midweights). So at low percents you can for example do Side B > fastfalled Dair > Utilt > ....

Dair also has a special landing hitbox like Fair has so similiarly to Fair you can shorthop airdodge this and input a Dair right before the airdodge ends to land this relatively safely.

* If you do Side B at mid percents and then empty jump and fastfall, many opponents will try to airdodge as they expect the guranteed Fair / Dair / Uair to come out, this way you can land while the opponent is trapped and then do a Utilt when the airdodge ends (Or even a Usmash / Fsmash)

* At lower percents when you do a Side B > ff Dair > sh Fair combo, you can often land a Utilt after the Fair if the opponent doesn't react quickly enough with a shield or jump, it's not guranteed however but grabbing is also a good option if they shield.

* The Mechakoopa explosion can also combo into a Utilt at lower percents (about 0 - 25%), but this is very situational and there's usually better options than this.

* Against big/tall characters you can combo a ff Uair > Utilt (at about 5 - 45%) but this can be difficult to land against some characters as it requires you to Uair exactly before you land.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
To add to that I also found at low percents that u-tilt can combo straight into an u-smash. I found this option to be the safest and it racks up a good amount of damage.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Does anyone know some decent Up B combos/setups?
*Side B > Jump > Up B Hammer (One of Bowser JR's best KO combos. Hits most opponents around the 90% range)

*Side B > Footstool > Up B Explosion > Hammer (Works only at very low percents but deals a huge chunk of damage)

*If the opponent is hanging on the ledge and you predict a regular getup/getup attack you can plant a Up B so it explodes on them when they getup and combo into the Hammerhit offstage which KO's insanely early. You can make it back to the stage too afterwards.

I don't utilize this move enough myself but these are the situations i use it which comes to mind as of writing.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Does anyone know some decent Up B combos/setups?
Jab lock > up B hammer (usually fastfalled since jab locks mostly happen at low %'s)

When opp grabs ledge: jump over them > drop MK > and up b hammer off stage. @V1cegrip has a vid of this vs a sheik. @5:19
https://youtu.be/2lpWyB1mFoI
Discodude15 Discodude15 found it

And when your opp is facing you and the MK sneaks up from behind them you can time an up b hammer since the will be blown towards you.

Last edited:

Discodude15

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4511-1744-4097
*Side B > Jump > Up B Hammer (One of Bowser JR's best KO combos. Hits most opponents around the 90% range)

*Side B > Footstool > Up B Explosion > Hammer (Works only at very low percents but deals a huge chunk of damage)

*If the opponent is hanging on the ledge and you predict a regular getup/getup attack you can plant a Up B so it explodes on them when they getup and combo into the Hammerhit offstage which KO's insanely early. You can make it back to the stage too afterwards.

I don't utilize this move enough myself but these are the situations i use it which comes to mind as of writing.
Thanks

Discodude15

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4511-1744-4097
Jab lock > up B hammer (usually fastfalled since jab locks mostly happen at low %'s)

When opp grabs ledge: jump over them > drop MK > and up b hammer off stage. @V1cegrip has a vid of this vs a sheik somewhere.

And when your opp is facing you and the MK sneaks up from behind them you can time an up b hammer since the will be blown towards you.
Thanks

Top Bottom