• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banned for 71582673 minutes from online play...?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It may just be a permanent ban, except they just put in a high time instead of coding for something different.
I don't know. Why not just make it a permanent ban? While I can't say I that knowledgeable on programming, I would assume it'd be slightly easier to just say it's a permanent ban rather than just making it a high amount.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I don't know. Why not just make it a permanent ban? While I can't say I that knowledgeable on programming, I would assume it'd be slightly easier to just say it's a permanent ban rather than just making it a high amount.
Yeah, it would take a little bit more effort to code for a non-procedural qualitative categories of time. Here they can just ban for a time and have it show the time. Effectively, they probably mean 'yeah they're not gonna survive this long'. There's actually a few systems I've seen where people are like 'why is this such a random ban time' when it's super long, and a lot of the time it's just arbitrary because the mods are like 'our guidelines just say a 600000 minute timeout (which is about a week) so we did it.'

Edit: No, I don't really doubt that this was a mistake on Nintendo's part. I just wanted to inject some healthy skepticism where it seems everyone is siding with the OP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well... I probably won't be playing online as much until this bug is fixed.
I would have a major panic attack if this happened.

Jmcpappy

Smash Cadet
just... wow -.- happened to me too, And i use a 2ds... imagine this is a 2ds only thing :p
My ban fixed itself! i submitted a ticket to nintendo, but never really got a reply. Then i just check about a day and a half later and the ban was lifted. Still not sure what I could have done to receive such a ban, however.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
My online is working again as well. I'll just make sure to never get banned again if I can haha.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
I doubt it was an infinite ban. Assuming the value is stored as seconds in a 32-bit unsigned integer, it looks like this was meant to be a 2 hour ban, but the sign got flipped. Because of the way negative numbers are stored in binary (Two's Complement, if you want to look it up), their unsigned representations tend to be absurdly big for most everyday negative numbers (which are typically less than 4 billion).

In a bit more detail: 2 hours = 120 minutes = 7200 seconds, and -7200 in an unsigned 32-bit value becomes 4,294,960,096 seconds, or 71582668 minutes and 16 seconds. Not quite the value above, but the screenshot could have easily been taken 5 minutes after the ban was first put in.

Zteven

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zteven
3DS FC
5172-1365-2942
A lot of people told me about this glitch, so I decided not to play online for a few days, but I think the new patch should do the trick.

Top Bottom