• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well well welll...
Just looking at some Duck Hunt's attacks make us resemble Banjo-Kazooie...
It's coincidence or we are front to front with a very smart Sakurai?
It's nearly identical what people wanted with Banjo-Kazooie in game...

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Even better is that they have an alt that resembles banjo and kazooie!

Edit: Oh would you look at that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If I ever play as Duck Hunt Dog, I'll probably use this alt. It looks pretty cool! I really hope that this was a clever reference to a bear and bird who lost a beautiful home...

Rayze Darr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rayze_Darr
3DS FC
5327-0902-3469
Poor Banjo and Kazooie. Two amazing N64 games, cameo in another amazing N64 game, considered for the original Smash, but unfortunately dropped. Then came the selling of Rare, and with it the cancellation of Banjo-Threeie, and the release of two very "meh" Gameboy Advance games (which, of course, I still played and loved for the characters alone).

And then they became racing stars. Don't get me wrong, I thought Nuts & Bolts was a fantastic game, but it wasn't... Banjo-Kazooie. And then, as if to further cement their fate, they appear in the 360 version of Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing. 3 Platforming appearances, and 4 racing ones. I hadn't given up hope yet, though... until their 8th appearance. Kinect Sports Rivals. As DLC.

Duck Hunt, may you continue to be an homage to the greatest ongoing franchise that almost was. Banjo-Kazooie confirmed for Smash 4; not in person, but in spirit.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I immediately thought of Kazooie when I saw the duck's beak attack that appears to be the jab. If nothing else I will use that alt that slightly resembles the two characters I've always wanted in Smash the most and pretend I'm using the bear and bird.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is everything I ever wanted. Thank you, based Sakurai.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I don't see how the alt is a reference to Banjo-Kazooie. They literally took the same colored duck from Duck Hunt, and then they made the dog black with a gray snout. If they wanted to make it more like B-K, they would have at least kept the dog brown and made his snout tan colored.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I don't see how the alt is a reference to Banjo-Kazooie. They literally took the same colored duck from Duck Hunt, and then they made the dog black with a gray snout. If they wanted to make it more like B-K, they would have at least kept the dog brown and made his snout tan colored.
The dog is brown. He was changed from the lighter colored brown to a very dark brown, the same color as Banjo's fur covering his body. The off-white tan on his snout is the skin color that was on Banjo's snout. I mean, for what it's worth, it might not be a reference to Banjo Kazooie at all, but it looks like it and it also will be the only alt I use on this guy ever.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Duck Hunt is definitely some type of spiritual successor of Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. I'd love to do Banjo-Kazooie vs Duck Hunt Dog in Smash one day, although that day would never happen. I wish that the rumors of Nintendo looking to buy Banjo-Kazooie were true.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I can imagine the Dog and Duck meeting Banjo and Kazooie the days before getting to Smash 4. The breegull and the bear ask them to put them out of their current misery from Microsoft's constant butchering of their fame and games.

In pity and sadness, they comply to their request. Before so, Banjo and Kazooie teach all there is to the teamwork between a fowl and a mammal. After they were spent with their knowledge, both are finally dragged craggy from age and depression to the desert.
The Gunmen execute them in silence.

Maybe the legendary bird and the bear R.I.P. In our hearts, definitely in spirit of Duck and Hunt.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Poor Banjo and Kazooie. Two amazing N64 games, cameo in another amazing N64 game, considered for the original Smash, but unfortunately dropped. Then came the selling of Rare, and with it the cancellation of Banjo-Threeie, and the release of two very "meh" Gameboy Advance games (which, of course, I still played and loved for the characters alone).

And then they became racing stars. Don't get me wrong, I thought Nuts & Bolts was a fantastic game, but it wasn't... Banjo-Kazooie. And then, as if to further cement their fate, they appear in the 360 version of Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing. 3 Platforming appearances, and 4 racing ones. I hadn't given up hope yet, though... until their 8th appearance. Kinect Sports Rivals. As DLC.
I agree with the sentiment but your facts aren't entirely sound.

First of all, Banjo and Kazooie did not cameo in Diddy Kong Racing. Both Banjo and Conker were introduced in that game so that they would be familiar to players before they starred elsewhere, with Kazooie nowhere to be seen. Also of note is the first appearance of Tiptup, a recurring character in many Rare games. This was almost certainly why the were roped into being Sega allstars, to try and cash in on the success of Banjo's origins. Banjo and Kazooie never "became" racing stars, they were from the start.

Secondly, the GBA games. Grunty's Revenge was a gem and the best thing on the GBA, while Banjo Pilot was a last minute rebranding similar to what happened with Dinosaur Planet. It was originally intended to be a handheld motion controlled companion to Donkey Kong Racing, Diddy Kong Racing's Gamecube sequel (Nintendo really wanted to push the link cable) but, when the Microsoft buy up occurred and they lost the rights to the Donkey Kong franchise, Rare rushed it out using their most iconic remaining franchise and the GBA tilt cartridge was set aside until WarioWare: Twisted got hold of the technology. I therefore like to blame Microsoft for Wario's decent into mindless minigames but, chances are, the WarioWare series would have taken off regardless.

Thirdly, Banjo Threeie. This sequel was not shelved with the Microsoft buy up as many believe. Its production continued for a good long time but was slowed by the number of other projects Microsoft forced upon the company and, throughout the process, Rare (or atleast what remained of them after Microsoft made changes to the company) got a good look at the modern gaming world and decided that it didn't want another Banjo Kazooie. Apparently fans were sick of the formula and wanted something new, something with major customization potential and something with masses of driving. The company has been documented as having outright said as much. Of course, they never actually asked their fans about this.
Then there's all the assets from Banjo Threeie, where did they go? Well, many theorise that the vast, empty overworlds of Nuts and Bolts were infact intended to be the populated worlds of a traditional collectathon entry into the series. Nothing can be proven but the design elements do fit.

In my opinion, the only good that could have come of Microsoft buying the company, and with it the series, was that they now had a mascot for crossovers. Where they previously had to resort to comic book characters for console exclusives, they could now have Banjo. Just imagine the bear and bird squaring off against the likes of Nightmare and Yoshimitsu in Soul Calibur 4. Finally, the Xbox had a reason for being!
But then the console exclusive characters were announced and who did they pick? Yoda. Seriously? Banjo was farfetched, sure, but Yoda was visually and thematically out of place, wielded an energy blade that could cut through metal like butter (see episode 1), required new game mechanics to work at all and broke the mechanics that already existed (dude has no high zone hitbox). I was gutted.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
This could have been intentional as a spiritual reference to Banjo and Kazooie. Since at this point in time, Sakurai knows more or less they'll never truly make it into the game (were considered at one point though apparently).

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Hey guys! Guess what color of Duck Hunt Im using?

The black one, it reminds me of my own dog.

Last edited:

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
Banjos fur in nuts and bolts is darker

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Guys what is Duck Hunt gets a reboot that's a platformer akin in spirit to Banjo-Kazooie with Grant Kirkhope composing the muisc?

What if such a wonderful reality were possible.

Sakurai did say he wanted another retro character to give the pit treatment too, and Duck Hunt would be perfect.

Shog

Smash Ace
For everyone saying that this doesn't reference Banjo Kazooie: It doesn't do it perfectly, but nontheless we can call it a reference, even if intentional or not. Dark Brown colored mammal(note that Banjo's fur got darker with recent artwork) and Red-Feathered Bird. Even if anybody else would say it doesn't look like BK at all, I would still give them BanjoKazooie nicknames etc.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Banjos fur in nuts and bolts is darker
Well, it's definitely not a reference to that Banjo, then!

...Not that I mind. As far as I'm concerned only the first three games exist.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That really isn't a reference to Banjo-Kazooie. Banjo is Brown, not Black.

Especially when, as shown above that Duck's palette was used in the original Duck Hunt game.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I agree with the sentiment but your facts aren't entirely sound.

First of all, Banjo and Kazooie did not cameo in Diddy Kong Racing. Both Banjo and Conker were introduced in that game so that they would be familiar to players before they starred elsewhere, with Kazooie nowhere to be seen. Also of note is the first appearance of Tiptup, a recurring character in many Rare games. This was almost certainly why the were roped into being Sega allstars, to try and cash in on the success of Banjo's origins. Banjo and Kazooie never "became" racing stars, they were from the start.

Secondly, the GBA games. Grunty's Revenge was a gem and the best thing on the GBA, while Banjo Pilot was a last minute rebranding similar to what happened with Dinosaur Planet. It was originally intended to be a handheld motion controlled companion to Donkey Kong Racing, Diddy Kong Racing's Gamecube sequel (Nintendo really wanted to push the link cable) but, when the Microsoft buy up occurred and they lost the rights to the Donkey Kong franchise, Rare rushed it out using their most iconic remaining franchise and the GBA tilt cartridge was set aside until WarioWare: Twisted got hold of the technology. I therefore like to blame Microsoft for Wario's decent into mindless minigames but, chances are, the WarioWare series would have taken off regardless.

Thirdly, Banjo Threeie. This sequel was not shelved with the Microsoft buy up as many believe. Its production continued for a good long time but was slowed by the number of other projects Microsoft forced upon the company and, throughout the process, Rare (or atleast what remained of them after Microsoft made changes to the company) got a good look at the modern gaming world and decided that it didn't want another Banjo Kazooie. Apparently fans were sick of the formula and wanted something new, something with major customization potential and something with masses of driving. The company has been documented as having outright said as much. Of course, they never actually asked their fans about this.
Then there's all the assets from Banjo Threeie, where did they go? Well, many theorise that the vast, empty overworlds of Nuts and Bolts were infact intended to be the populated worlds of a traditional collectathon entry into the series. Nothing can be proven but the design elements do fit.

In my opinion, the only good that could have come of Microsoft buying the company, and with it the series, was that they now had a mascot for crossovers. Where they previously had to resort to comic book characters for console exclusives, they could now have Banjo. Just imagine the bear and bird squaring off against the likes of Nightmare and Yoshimitsu in Soul Calibur 4. Finally, the Xbox had a reason for being!
But then the console exclusive characters were announced and who did they pick? Yoda. Seriously? Banjo was farfetched, sure, but Yoda was visually and thematically out of place, wielded an energy blade that could cut through metal like butter (see episode 1), required new game mechanics to work at all and broke the mechanics that already existed (dude has no high zone hitbox). I was gutted.
So it's the fans themselves to blame for the abomination called Nuts & Bolts? Well I'll be damned.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie are my #1 and #2 favorite games of all time, and I enjoyed Nuts & Bolts.

I don't even think it was out of place necessarily (Banjo is no stranger to vehicles, he debuted in DKR and had his own Banjo Pilot game), it just wasn't the right time for it to be made. Banjo had been gone for too long to return in a game that was so different to the originals. If Banjo had been consistently recieving games throughout the years, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
Give Duck Hunt a yellow short and blue backpack, and you got yourself Banjo-Kazooie. Overall, the color palette was a nice shout-out to Banjo-Kazooie.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
I flew to this thread like a fly to poo.

As a fan of the series I've been wishing for their welcome letter to smash, even if it may never happen. Seeing this makes me happy in a way

Top Bottom