• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I hadn't even really thought about having some Diddy Kong Racing stuff in his moveset. What a fantastic idea.

It'd be even better if we could get some Diddy Kong Racing trophies!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If it matters, this is the best time for Banjo since Melee. He definitely did great on the ballot. Even Phil Spencer is cool with it. While not too likely in my eyes, I would be elated to see them in. Put me down as a supporter.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
If it matters, this is the best time for Banjo since Melee. He definitely did great on the ballot. Even Phil Spencer is cool with it. While not too likely in my eyes, I would be elated to see them in. Put me down as a supporter.
It does feel like this is his best chance since Melee days.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If Banjo & Kazooie don't get in Smash Bros would you guys want Xbox to do their own version? :p:grin:

(Shameless plug for my thread)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If Banjo-Kazooie get in, their stage gimmick needs to be Gruntilda coming up with insulting rhyming couplets for the cast.
A couplet for Ridley? Two lines won't do!
For a fighter so large I'd need a sonnet or two!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If Banjo-Kazooie get in, their stage gimmick needs to be Gruntilda coming up with insulting rhyming couplets for the cast.
Aside from Grunty rhymes, I also imagined a Guidance/Codec system that just had Banjo-Kazooie banter with the different Smash characters. Like they do when they meet a new character in their games.

It'd be amazing to have every Smash character have their own Banjo-Kazooie style dialogue.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Think Microsoft knows something along this would be a flop.
I won't get into it here but, I disagree. If the gameplay is good and most of the characters are from fan favorite Xbox games it has potential. Smash Bros a lot of its success to its characters but not all of it. Halo, Gears of War and Fable alone can bring in a huge audience.

I want them in Smash, but I wouldn't mind a Microsoft Smash style game either.

https://sourcegaming.info/2017/03/07/dream-roster-microsoft-smash-up/
Wow that's nice! Mind taking this post to the Lighthouse forum? I have a thread there that could use this.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I won't get into it here but, I disagree. If the gameplay is good and most of the characters are from fan favorite Xbox games it has potential. Smash Bros a lot of its success to its characters but not all of it. Halo, Gears of War and Fable alone can bring in a huge audience.

Wow that's nice! Mind taking this post to the Lighthouse forum? I have a thread there that could use this.
I don't know what that is xD

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I don't know what that is xD
Sorry I wasn't clear. It's attached to the "Smasher's Hangout" section of the forum. Go to Forum then scroll down and you'll see a section called "Smasher's Hangout" and then just below that is call the "Light House". It's general gaming discussion section. Hope that helps.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
If the Ballot results were shown, what place do you think B-K would have been?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, easily top 10. probably top 5
most online polls I've seen about who people want in smash or who they voted for in the ballot seem to place them among the top most wanted characters. and while they don't reflect the general public who may have voted in the actual ballot. they should still be a good indicator of the want for Banjo and Kazooie

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Always wanted Banjo! Never expected him to have a shot, and I'm still not holding my breath, but at least the ballot put him in the realm of possibility!
I really like the idea mentioned of codec-like conversations with Banjo characters. Bottles or Jamjars could give intel about hero characters, while Grunty hypes-up villain characters with rhymes about how they'll finish off the bear and bird for her. And it would be hilarious to see Slippy Toad or Otacon talking in the Banjo text boxes.

Questions for everyone- Is Kazooie or Tooie the better game? And have you gotten 100% in either of them?

Morbi

Scavenger
Not counting characters that did not originate from video-games? Probably number 1. It was likely not considered feasible and therefore they moved down the list. Again, he is arguably among the most Nintendo of Nintendo characters, despite not being Nintendo. He is bigger than well over half the roster despite the fact that he has not had a game in god knows how long. He is basically just King K. Rool with a better resume.

Regardless of his place, whether it be in the top five, or the top ten. Everyone knows he placed high enough to be considered, he has blanket permission and yet, here we are.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
As of right now the ball is in Nintendo's court. Phil Spencer tossed it over to them. Now it's up to them what to do. If Nintendo/Sakurai refuses to put Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros we should blame them (so long as any negotiations are fair). I don't see any reason for Nintendo to pass on the opportunity. It would look good for both parties involved and best for gamers in general.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Always wanted Banjo! Never expected him to have a shot, and I'm still not holding my breath, but at least the ballot put him in the realm of possibility!
I really like the idea mentioned of codec-like conversations with Banjo characters. Bottles or Jamjars could give intel about hero characters, while Grunty hypes-up villain characters with rhymes about how they'll finish off the bear and bird for her. And it would be hilarious to see Slippy Toad or Otacon talking in the Banjo text boxes.

Questions for everyone- Is Kazooie or Tooie the better game? And have you gotten 100% in either of them?
I enjoy both games the first knocked it out of the park where the second keep running with great ideas. I myself 100 percented them both.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
As of right now the ball is in Nintendo's court. Phil Spencer tossed it over to them. Now it's up to them what to do. If Nintendo/Sakurai refuses to put Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros we should blame them (so long as any negotiations are fair). I don't see any reason for Nintendo to pass on the opportunity. It would look good for both parties involved and best for gamers in general.
What’s scary is the fact that everyone keeps asking Microsoft if it’s okay and they’re openly okay with the idea. If they were already approached one would think they would dodge all questions at every turn for surprise sake.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
What’s scary is the fact that everyone keeps asking Microsoft if it’s okay and they’re openly okay with the idea. If they were already approached one would think they would dodge all questions at every turn for surprise sake.
All Phil Spencer said was "Yep". Kind of hard to take anything from that. Could mean anything. Like I said before I can't think of a good reason for Nintendo to say "no". Other than the deal being unfair/unreasonable. As Nintendo really has the upper hand I doubt Microsoft are in any position to make demands. At this point they can probably only make a deal where they can get Banjo & Kazooie in and get positive publicity out of it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This, I need more of Grunty's contagiously hilarious dialogue.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I personally prefer Banjo Kazooie over Tooie. but that could just be nostalgia.
I played the first one a ton as a kid and really really loved it. while I didn't get to properly play Tooie until just a few years ago.

I have 100% Completed BK and it was fantastic.
Tooie has some great stuff in it too though. but I haven't finished it yet (still missing some jiggies in Cloud Cuckooland and Witchyworld)

you have way more abilities in BT and the worlds are bigger but BK is probably the better game in my biased opinion.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
They're both fantastic and one of the few games I've 100% completed (twice each, in fact, once for the N64 and once on Xbox) so I can never truly decide. Though originally I liked BK more because when I first played through Tooie I tried to play it like I did the first game and grab all the Jiggies before moving on to the next world. There was a lot of undue frustration trying to get that Jiggy behind the caveman before I realized I wasn't supposed to get it then. On my next playthrough of the game, I saw how much that experience soured my first run and enjoyed the game a lot more. They are both masterpieces that set a great standard for hat a 3D platformer should be.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Tooie >>>>> Kazooie IMO

Bigger world, darker atmosphere, better characters, and I loved all the new mechanics.

As for 100% it? It was too hard for me to pull that one off.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
For me, Kazooie has the edge on Tooie- but I havent played Tooie in a few years. Ive been planning on doing another run for a while now.

Ive gotten Kazooie down to a tee, doing annual 100% runs and knocking the game out in a weekend. As for Tooie- I could never get the last Cheato page from racing Canary Mary in Cloud Cuckooland! Its the only thing holding me back from true 100%.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Personally I prefer Tooie. As I've played through both games so many times. Tooie still offers me a bit of a challenge, whereas Kazooie is far a more breezy game.

Yes I've 100%ed them many times! I try to play both of them at least every other year.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Banjo & Kazooie are easily in my top 3 for 3rd party characters I would like to see. So hell yeah I support them being included in Smash, not only that but they need another game to come out!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If Banjo & Kazooie make it into Smash it wouldn't surprise me if not long after Microsoft decides it's time to make a new Banjo Kazooie game.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
If Banjo & Kazooie make it into Smash it wouldn't surprise me if not long after Microsoft decides it's time to make a new Banjo Kazooie game.
Would definitely be nice to have the original 2 games on the N64 Mini

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been quite replaying B&K lately and gosh, how it still holds up is amazing. I might wanna hop on to Tooie after it, but I always felt it little more "bloated" than the last game - though mostly from the impressions I got from it in the beginning.

Speaking of B&K, the usual criticism I have for Super Mario Odyssey is the somewhat overblown amount of Power Moons, which kind of makes the levels and the lil hallmarks inside them overstay their welcome, as well as make the Moons feel bit grindy when you switch between super-easy and strangely challenging (or annoying) ones to get.

Meanwhile B&K ensured the levels with Jiggies inside are all short and sweet to get, but the tasks for them were more concise and drew the players to various parts of the levels and their hallmarks.

It's bit intriguing really, I miss the times when there were games that'd challenge what Mario was able to create, or at least, did new and improved takes on the formula his games shot off, instead of Mario being the sole innovator that always is praised for what he does, to the point any form of criticism from more veteran gamers is not taken seriously from the fans.

It's bit why I miss games like B&K and find it difficult to form a concrete opinion on Odyssey this day - since I find it like what I exactly expected it to be, being a very high-quality platformer with amazing presentation, controls and charm - yet riddled with certain big shortcomings that we pretend don't exist according to the whole press.

Though to be quite honest, , I kind of had lost personal interest to Mario-series since the whole "brandification" of it around Wii U-days. which I refer to how they try to "purify" the games from any forms of reinterpretation and always put emphasis on gimmicks and good fun over caring about the characters or the world itself they inhabit, since Paper Mario: Sticker Star and more.

Sorry, that got quite off-topic. Anyway, throw me in too as a supporter. :beezo:

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I really don't see Banjo Kazooie games being brought to the Switch or any Nintendo console. Best we can expect is Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Bros.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
How do you think they should go about a reveal for him?
My ideal trailer would kinda roll along the lines of this

The camera pans down from the sky to a typical smash battle on Peachs Catsle consisting of :4mario: , :4link: , :4dk: and :4diddy: .

But somethings off... theyre all N64 models! They dont seem to care, though. Light arrows, peanuts and fireballs are flying, no remorse. Suddenly, as DK is about to send Mario flying, a blue egg is launched and splats against DKs back. All 4 turn around, and see bear and bird... also in N64 models. Their trademark theme plays, the world around them them turns into the HD graphics, gameplay is shown with an amazing final smash and BK inspired level, then the title appears. Throw in a little gag with BK and Duck Hunt at the end for gopd measures.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I like the idea of Donkey Kong and Diddy being there with Banjo and Kazooie. It's very fitting. Honestly though, I don't like the N64 introduction the idea.

I'd go with keeping it Donkey Kong and Diddy have them playing Bongos and dancing around. Then we here a Banjo laying followed by a Kazoo. Much like Rosalina's trailer they don't have to fight. Think of it as... "getting the band back together". :p

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
my idea for an introcution trailer. (well, my current idea. i think them up often)

inspired by llort A. Ton's trailer

Footage is shown of the N64 Smash Bros game. it's a fight on Kongo Jungle between Kirby, Link and Mario. and another character that is conveniently just off of frame. all you see is the occasional glimpse of brown fur (so it's implied it's DK)
at one point Kirby, Mario and Link are all close together. and the off to the side character comes charging in now fully revealing it's Banjo and Kazooie performing a Beak Barge on the other 3 sending them flying off and into the background, where they splat into it instead of turning into "team rocket sparkles" the background starts to crack and the cracks form puzzle pieces that then fall away revealing a HD Banjo Kazooie stage (spiral mountain?) the banjo kazooie music starts playing and the other characters all respawn now in their HD designs. they jump down onto the stage where Banjo (also HD) is waiting for them. they rush at him to continue fighting. the footage now cuts to clips of Banjo's moves and then back to the cutscene. Mario and the other's keep rushing towards Banjo to fight, but instead Mario offers Banjo a handshake, while Kirby and Link applaud.
Banjo and Kazooie then do their little victory dance and start to play their instruments.

not a great trailer idea. I'll probably post another one another time.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Count me in with supporting the bear and bird! They've been two of my all-time favorite video game characters and the only characters I've ever truly wanted to see in Smash. Just seeing them in any capacity revitalizes the nostalgia for my childhood playing on the Nintendo 64 in my parent's basement playing Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie and collecting every collectible in the games, Jiggies, Jinjos, musical notes, moves (any of which would translate PERFECTLY into Smash), and Cheato pages, all while trying to reclaim their sister from the wretched rhyming witch Gruntilda and save Spiral Mountain and the Isle of Hags from the witch sisters' wrath. The duo mastered the platforming genre and gave us two of the most memorable games in Nintendo's N64 era and its criminal they've been wallowing in obscurity for this long. It's been ten years since we've had an official Banjo-Kazooie game, let alone an effective sequel to the first two masterpieces, and twenty years since the bear and bird's debut on Nintendo 64! If Microsoft isn't going to do anything with them, why not let them guest star in the newest Smash for Switch? It's their time for them to join Smash!

For a trailer, I remember someone talking about a good idea where it starts with a Smash battle on Battlefield with Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong were battling in their Smash 64 style in the clouds. Below the clouds, you get a familiar locale with the Spiral Mountain and Gruntilda's Lair in the background. You get a closeup of a banjo being strummed by a familiar paw with a familiar melody lightly being played alongside a kazoo being held in a familiar beak. The battle continues as the melody slowly becomes more upbeat and the tempo speeds up a bit more. As the battle culminates, a Flight Pad appears in front of the silhouetted duo. They get up and put down their banjo and kazoo and proceed to step on the flight pad. With a flurry of red sparkles and feathers, they launch into the atmosphere and soon Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong hear the flapping wings of Banjo-Kazooie as they plummet down to the battlefield. As they touch down, the Battlefield updates to current-gen graphics as everyone looks and sees Banjo-Kazooie now in HD-style graphics. The bear and bird duo have finally arrived to join the battle! We see gameplay footage of the two as they utilize their iconic moves from both classic N64 platformers Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie to blow away the competition! They fight against Mario (Nintendo's icon fighting a long-lost platforming icon), the Duck Hunt Duo (parodying their mammal/bird partnerships), Donkey Kong (A Rare brother of sorts), Diddy Kong (who's racing title Banjo first appeared in), Mega Man (who utilizes his Beat special move to fly alongside Banjo and Kazooie), Villager dancing to Banjo and Kazooie playing their banjo and kazoo as a taunt with Pac-Man humming and Toon Link conducting with his Wind Waker, Peach throwing a vegetable at B-K and them dodging it (referencing the vegetable enemies from Spiral Mountain), etc. We also witness the iconic Spiral Mountain as their own home stage, a traveling stage that drops down at several parts of the location and ending on top of Gruntilda's Lair with Grunty appearing in the background spouting rhymes and trivia. The gameplay ends with their Final Smash being revealed, Mumbo Jumbo and Humba Wumba appear to transform the duo into Daddy T-Rex, who rampages across the stage and roars ferociously. The trailer ends with Banjo-Kazooie welcomed by Mario and the rest of his N64 pals.

Fingers crossed this time they get a chance to join in the battle. Xbox head Phil Spencer gave his blessing once again recently, the company isn't doing anything big with their games at the moment, I'm sure they were requested on the Smash ballot quite a bit for third-party choices, they have iconic history on the N64 (which has been sorely underrepresented in the Smash series surprisingly), their moveset from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie would translate perfectly in Smash, so much of their in-game material would translate beautifully into Smash (such as their universe icon being a Jiggy, their on-screen entrance into battle being the Exit Pad from Banjo-Kazooie, etc.), and its their twentieth anniversary and has been ten years since their last game! The jigsaw pieces are falling into place for them! And let's get a sweet amiibo figure for our collections while we're at it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom