• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...-announced-for-ps4-trailer-teas/1100-6465797/

It may not be totally relevant to the duo, but this bit of news does shed more light on the speculation scene. Since P5R is NOT being ported to the switch we can safely deduce that Joker was chosen on his own merits as a character and not based on an upcoming Persona port to the Switch. There is a female character involved in P5R so the Jane datamine is confirmed. Plus we can also assume that Mementos will be the stage based on the mine.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...-announced-for-ps4-trailer-teas/1100-6465797/

It may not be totally relevant to the duo, but this bit of news does shed more light on the speculation scene. Since P5R is NOT being ported to the switch we can safely deduce that Joker was chosen on his own merits as a character and not based on an upcoming Persona port to the Switch. There is a female character involved in P5R so the Jane datamine is confirmed. Plus we can also assume that Mementos will be the stage based on the mine.
Are we sure it won't be on switch it could be announced later

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Just because an older character is remembered and requested on the internet doesn't mean they were a huge deal. Look at Isaac. Or Takamaru. Kid Icarus was known, sure, but comparing its reception to Zelda or Metroid is pretty dubious.

Considering all that would happen is typical Smash tantrums, I think they'll land on their feet either way.
But Kid Icarus actually was placed on the pedestal right next to Metroid and Zelda back in its day, Nintendo promoted it as a major title of the same caliber as those other big names. Kid Icarus absolutely was regarded as one of Nintendo's greats back in the late 80s, heck, they even put Kid Icarus as a major character in Captain N the game master, above Samus and Link even... Nah, everyone who thinks Pit was just another rando and bias pick is clearly either misremembering, or doesn't have their history straight. It was even destined for multi generational releases, sadly that didn't turn out due to unforeseen circumstances, but it was destined early on, and that's why Sakurai decided to update Pit's design in Brawl as if he had continually gotten generational game releases, just as Link and Samus had gotten, because that's what Kid Icarus was meant to be... Unlike Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, etc etc.

Takamaru was much earlier, never released outside of Japan, and was not made as big of a deal when it released, but still bigger than most of those other minor games, could be why we have an Assist Trophy of him but not much more. And Golden Sun, as previously stated, was an out of house development project, and those have a big uphill battle to deal with, as Nintendo doesn't often push for them as much as their in-house games (like you rarely see cameos and references to those games in their EPD and other partnered game releases, but you'll see in-house IP referenced and cameo'd all the time, just look at WarioWare, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, etc). Kid Icarus though, it got references... Remember the Tetris end screen? Heh.
tumblr_nskwbrHrfU1rwfidao1_400.gif

Sorry I keep getting this place off topic... I really do want to keep the focus on Banjo-Kazooie, and I suppose I could haphazardly tie them into the conversation, umm, by uh, heh, by saying Banjo-Kazooie was basically the Kid Icarus of its day! It was huge, it was promoted heavily by Nintendo, destined for greatness, and then all of a sudden only a generation later, it was gone!! HAH! I did it!

Mr. Stagg

Are we sure it won't be on switch it could be announced later
Well for now it seems that there will not be a switch port. You'd think they would say so in this announcement. Still, we may hear more about this when the Spring update drops.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Speaking of being promoted by Nintendo, Someone posted these a while back in case you haven't seen them before,

Here's a couple of pictures of Nintendo of America (2002)
qZQBPk9.jpg

This decal mural was near the entrance and show Banjo-Kazooie next to Nintendo's biggest 1-2 punch in Mario and Pokemon.

UIOsake.jpg

Nintendo 64 console box (2nd Revision) , I believe the last 2 are European, and the last one was posted many times here before and is my favorite from the bunch.
atomic-purple-color-nintendo-64_1_15b631ff9c3364d55948a22c8274aa69.jpg

U-064-H-00010-C.png

E-064-H-00010-C.jpg

f7907cdd-935b-41b9-a21f-74e79ef78456.jpg

And more background and retail store
marketing and promotion material.
63xG0YY.jpg

y8ZX79q.jpg

trQfmzC.jpg

I always have these pictures as back up to show why Super Smash Bros and younger Nintendo fans can see why we make such a big deal of this bear and bird and why the have never been forgotten by the older generation.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Another easy sign to see how much Banjo-Kazooie (and other Rare titles) were tied to first party Nintendo back in the day was that they all received the Official Player's Guides from Nintendo Power, it made everything released by Rare, by extension feel like Nintendo products. Only the biggest first party games of that early era got the player's guide treatment from them, they were certainly part of the family.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

Again, the best thing going for Banjo right now is the datamined information and actually evidence found in the game itself. Speculation and leaked information might support others, but based off actual hard data, Erdrick and Banjo have the best chances me thinks going forward.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It's a long shot, but looking at that Playtonic BK and DK art makes me wonder if Playtonic is in the know about this partnership. Banjo is even pointing at the Switch. Then you have Diddy in the background with a question mark above his head. Hmmm....

Would be cool if RARE, Playtonic, and Nintendo got together to make Banjo Threeie or Diddy Kong Racing 2.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Please don't make media only replies
Another easy sign to see how much Banjo-Kazooie (and other Rare titles) were tied to first party Nintendo back in the day was that they all received the Official Player's Guides from Nintendo Power, it made everything released by Rare, by extension feel like Nintendo products. Only the biggest first party games of that early era got the player's guide treatment from them, they were certainly part of the family.
banjo-kaz-np__93519.1550515469.jpg
Banjo-Toiie-NP__20333.1550515071.500.750.jpg

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
That wasn't actually Playtonic art so much as it was just art from Steve Mayles, who so happens to work at Playtonic... you know, the artist behind Banjo, Kazooie, Dixie, K. Rool, etc.

Though actually, he himself would probably know if Banjo-Kazooie was in Smash, not because of involvement with the project or anything, but because his brother, Gregg Mayles, who still works at Rare as a lead designer, should most definitely know if Banjo-Kazooie is in Smash. And brothers, well, they talk and hopefully share input even. But they're also real cool, so don't go harassing nobody now, y'hear!!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
We're all gonna make it.

With all these stars aligning, it'd be such a shame if it was all for not.

This is both good and bad news.
Good that nintendo is going with a character that isn't as profitable for them. I know that joker is in that one ds game that I can't even remember the name of. But everyone knows joker primarily from P5.

Bad news...persona ain't gonna be on the switch

Mr. Stagg

Again, the best thing going for Banjo right now is the datamined information and actually evidence found in the game itself. Speculation and leaked information might support others, but based off actual hard data, Erdrick and Banjo have the best chances me thinks going forward.
I'm leaning off the glitched characters a bit, but I still believe in the Rare Spirits. I still believe that Duck Hunt's model could be used as a base for the Duo, though the glitch seems a bit dubious for me now.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
That wasn't actually Playtonic art so much as it was just art from Steve Mayles, who so happens to work at Playtonic... you know, the artist behind Banjo, Kazooie, Dixie, K. Rool, etc.

Though actually, he himself would probably know if Banjo-Kazooie was in Smash, not because of involvement with the project or anything, but because his brother, Gregg Mayles, who still works at Rare as a lead designer, should most definitely know if Banjo-Kazooie is in Smash. And brothers, well, they talk and hopefully share input even. But they're also real cool, so don't go harassing nobody now, y'hear!!
Playtonic employees were promoting Yooka on Switch with art a day leading up to the release so what I said wasn't technically wrong. I knew it came from one them, but I didn't know who exactly it was. I suspected it was Steve Mayles.

Last edited:
Speaking of being promoted by Nintendo, Someone posted these a while back in case you haven't seen them before,

I always have these pictures as back up to show why Super Smash Bros and younger Nintendo fans can see why we make such a big deal of this bear and bird and why the have never been forgotten by the older generation.
Yep the spotlight console is a European exclusive.

Same as this one:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Ok not really relating to smash. But I swear there is only like 4 official renders of Banjo & Kazooie lol. They really didn't make a lot so I am hoping a smash appearance will give us a bunch of new fan renders with the official model.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Didn't "jane" have something ponytail related? Just watch the persona trailer and it looks like she has a ponytail...

*X-Files plays in distance*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Here's a couple of pictures of Nintendo of America (2002)View attachment 200469

This decal mural was near the entrance and show Banjo-Kazooie next to Nintendo's biggest 1-2 punch in Mario and Pokemon.

View attachment 200471
Nintendo 64 console box (2nd Revision) , I believe the last 2 are European, and the last one was posted many times here before and is my favorite from the bunch.View attachment 200472
View attachment 200473
View attachment 200475
View attachment 200478
And more background and retail store
marketing and promotion material.
View attachment 200476
View attachment 200479
View attachment 200480
This is why claims that Banjo is bigger now than ever before are kinda ridiculous.

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
I thought Jane was eventually figured out to be an entirely new character based on the way costumes were formatted (Dixie Kong, Jade, etc.) Was that proven false by anyone? I remember seeing it on Resetera.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I thought Jane was eventually figured out to be an entirely new character based on the way costumes were formatted (Dixie Kong, Jade, etc.) Was that proven false by anyone? I remember seeing it on Resetera.
That sounds like misinformation to me. Jane was found in a string of code for "Jack's" costumes.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Was refighting Weldar when I remembered reading about how, if a Clockwork Kazooie egg detonates when he does a big leap back to the center, the game crashes. I laugh it off. It then happens anyway.

5E024D98-C208-4C23-A5AB-4BBABB2EC9EE.gif

Not sure what I was expecting but I think I'm gonna stick to fire eggs in that fight.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Ok not really relating to smash. But I swear there is only like 4 official renders of Banjo & Kazooie lol. They really didn't make a lot so I am hoping a smash appearance will give us a bunch of new fan renders with the official model.
There are quite a few, actually, like so:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yep the spotlight console is a European exclusive.

Same as this one:

It makes sense that they'd want to spotlight Banjo in Europe, considering he was created there. :p

Which is just kinda funny to think about, to me. I always associated the sharktooth necklace surfer-esque look with the west coast of the US, but Banjo's a British bear.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Takamaru was much earlier, never released outside of Japan, and was not made as big of a deal when it released, but still bigger than most of those other minor games, could be why we have an Assist Trophy of him but not much more.
That is correct. However, the idea of making Takamaru an AT because of the world's lack of exposure to him was poorly timed, since Nintendo Land had Takamaru's Ninja Castle.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
So it’s banjo vs Steve realistically for our Microsoft rep but I’m also hoping hard for master chief. does banjo have high exposure in Japan and do you think he can have a high chance just like Minecraft Steve?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So it’s banjo vs Steve realistically for our Microsoft rep but I’m also hoping hard for master chief. does banjo have high exposure in Japan and do you think he can have a high chance just like Minecraft Steve?
Steve has more popularity, but Banjo has a following in Japan too. Banjo’s biggest support comes from Europe and then America

Mr. Stagg

Aside from the best choise (Banjo) to the worst (Steve), there are a ton of characters in between that have just as much of a shot. Conker, Marcus Fenix, Battletoads, Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, any other rare IP's like Jet Force Gemini. There are tons of Microsoft characters that have just as much of a shot.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Aside from the best choise (Banjo) to the worst (Steve), there are a ton of characters in between that have just as much of a shot. Conker, Marcus Fenix, Battletoads, Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, any other rare IP's like Jet Force Gemini. There are tons of Microsoft characters that have just as much of a shot.
>Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

More like holy ****, I needed this and didn't know I needed this.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
BG&E in Smash would be pretty cool, but isn't that a Ubisoft IP?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
We're all gonna make it.

*Big Banjo theory picture*
I think this might also point towards a new game too. Microsoft had a similar “slow trickle of hints & appearances” before the new Battletoads was announced last year.

Phil Spencer mysteriously wearing a BT logo shirt at several appearances, Rash being in Phil’s Twitter profile, the Toads in Shovel Knight & Killer Instinct, etc...

In addition to everything in that picture & a potential Smash appearance (much like Rash in KI). Banjo’s been oddly prominent in Xbone Backwards Compatibility & GamePass marketing. Look at this picture, Banjo is the only character here who hasn’t had a game recently... yet.

64E1B628-D6CA-41AF-8A47-A26532AC4C4B.jpeg

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
There's no doubt in my mind that under different circumstances, we'd not only have Banjo in Smash by now. We'd also have Mumbo and probably Gruntilda.

We're all gonna make it.

Didn't that lootcrate thing get released? I've seen some Banjo license plates from lootcrate hit ebay. Anyone know the story on this??

Playtonic employees were promoting Yooka on Switch with art a day leading up to the release so what I said wasn't technically wrong. I knew it came from one them, but I didn't know who exactly it was. I suspected it was Steve Mayles.
One of them did a Chunky Kong piece. So that art doesn't mean anything, if it did, they'd be breaking NDA.

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Didn't that lootcrate thing get released? I've seen some Banjo license plates from lootcrate hit ebay. Anyone know the story on this??
The license plate was from the previous Banjo crate, for the game's 20th anniversary. I don't believe the crate has released yet, as I haven't recieved mine.

Top Bottom