• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I doubt it since they can clearly fit 6 more stages on the stage selection. Plus there's still the mystery revolving the potential Monster Hunter stage. They can't really reveal any third party stages as it would spoil the inclusion of the fighter.
I'm inclined to think that Monster Hunter stage is exclusive to the Rathalos battle. Then again, it's possible there's a stage as well...but why show the boss arena first in that case?

Either way, I do agree there are more stages. I don't know what people heard Sakurai say, but his wording to me was NOT final. Unless he said "that's all of them," then I don't believe it's done.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Sign me up boys and girls! I LOVED Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie when they came out. I think they fit perfectly. If you have a supporter list, I'd love to be part of it. I think he'd be the most realistic hyped character and I think he could be their final reveal.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Well in sonic & sega all star racing they are called banjo & kazooie so smash will do the same

the head of rare said he has no intention of using old IPs & only wants to focus on new IP like sea of thieves

the whole Nintendo won't help a competitior thing has been debunked since brawl heck Nintendo has nothing to do with smash as we have seen sakurai can & will do what ever he wants lol even going against himself LOL

the only reason why it looks good for banjo is he high ballot placing & being the highest 3rd party character as well, sakurai said every character will be reviled B4 the game is out & he already blew his load on THE 2 biggest Nintendo requested characters ever ! K. Rool & Ridley ! plus we got simon Belmont already as well ! the only characters who would be bigger then K Rool & ridley (lol "biger") would be sora, banjo kazooie or goku IMO sure there is geno but I think K rool would be a biger deal then him heck K rool made it in the news papers lol XD

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I know Sakurai said there would be 103 stages, but I kinda hope that's not the true final amount for the base game and somehow we end up with a Spiral Mountain level at the very least. Something for Shantae too.
I see many people suggesting that wording is definitive, and even Source Gaming is on that train of thought--I don't buy it, and I don't think it's my bias showing. With four months to release and at least one direct focusing on Smash, I don't think they would deconfirm so many potential characters that early, or likewise, wouldn't introduce a big new character from a new IP without a stage.

Part of the wording suggests it's definitive (giving a specific number), while other parts are more flexible--"...turning out to be pretty impressive", and the ambiguously contradictory "now the total number...". Although, we can't get too detailed in nitpicking the wording, as it's a translation and I haven't heard anything definitive from those on the forums who would know the original Japanese. All it means is it's currently--unknown.

My hope is that when creating the design of the game Sakurai didn't decide to bring back nearly 100 fan favorites (some of which... aren't) while only having four new stages (for a game that's not supposed to be a port). I also think to clear it up in case there are only four stages, to preface like he did with characters, "Don't expect many new" stages. I would think if an outlet asked Nintendo they would be able to confirm if it was the total for the base game, or give no response if there were more to be announced.

I would like more definitive answers though, even if it hurts my case. The wait for the next announcement will be excruciating.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
A bit un-Banjo-related, but what is everyone's plans when the game releases in terms of how you'll start playing the game, out of curiosity? I'm looking forward to the fact that you start off with the original Smash 64 roster and have to work at unlocking every character and rolling with that by unlocking characters chronologically, so from 64 to Melee to Brawl to 3DS/Wii U to Ultimate newcomers! I want to earn unlocking everyone, especially the really hype characters and newcomers like Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Inklings, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and especially if they get in Banjo-Kazooie. And I want to lock all the stages and items from each game until every character from said game is unlocked, so no Melee/Brawl/Wii U & 3DS/Ultimate stages and items at the beginning so it's like you're playing through the history of Smash!

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
A bit un-Banjo-related, but what is everyone's plans when the game releases in terms of how you'll start playing the game, out of curiosity? I'm looking forward to the fact that you start off with the original Smash 64 roster and have to work at unlocking every character and rolling with that by unlocking characters chronologically, so from 64 to Melee to Brawl to 3DS/Wii U to Ultimate newcomers! I want to earn unlocking everyone, especially the really hype characters and newcomers like Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and especially if they get in Banjo-Kazooie. And I want to lock all the stages and items from each game until every character from said game is unlocked, so no Melee/Brawl/Wii U & 3DS/Ultimate stages and items at the beginning so it's like you're playing through the history of Smash!
Me and my coworkers have the release night planned. We'll probably play until dawn unlocking who we can while also having a good old fashioned smash fest. I'm hoping I can at least unlock Cloud K. Rool and hopefully Banjo in one night.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Me and my coworkers have the release night planned. We'll probably play until dawn unlocking who we can while also having a good old fashioned smash fest. I'm hoping I can at least unlock Cloud K. Rool and hopefully Banjo in one night.
The good thing is it releases on a Friday so that's a whole weekend to just Smash away!

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
A bit un-Banjo-related, but what is everyone's plans when the game releases in terms of how you'll start playing the game, out of curiosity? I'm looking forward to the fact that you start off with the original Smash 64 roster and have to work at unlocking every character and rolling with that by unlocking characters chronologically, so from 64 to Melee to Brawl to 3DS/Wii U to Ultimate newcomers! I want to earn unlocking everyone, especially the really hype characters and newcomers like Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Inklings, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and especially if they get in Banjo-Kazooie. And I want to lock all the stages and items from each game until every character from said game is unlocked, so no Melee/Brawl/Wii U & 3DS/Ultimate stages and items at the beginning so it's like you're playing through the history of Smash!
Planning on having a Smash related long weekend with my mates. Assuming Banjo and Kazooie make it onto the base roster, no sleep for anyone till they're unlocked.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'll rest when I know Banjo-Kazooie are safe and sound in the gentle arms of Daddy Sakurai and all their Nintendo and video game icon brothers and sisters. Then I'll take my time unlocking them as the best for last. <3

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Not sure about opening night. Most of my friends and I have different weekends working in the service industry

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I'm going to set up a vacation day to play it and spend the entire weekend unlocking as much as I can (characters, trophies etc.) so when I play with my friends everything important to them are unlocked.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
What if the next two directs go like this:

Isaac opens, echos are shown off, online mode is revealed, end on Skull Kid

Then the last direct, Banjo & Kazooie open, echos are shown off, end on Geno

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
A direct focusing on first party then a direct focusing on third party would be interesting
They most likely will do a 1 first party 1 third party character direct like the last one but you may never know with how they are releasing information this time around.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I was going for open with new IP close when additional character from existing IP

I also think Waddle Dee makes it, but I am not sure where

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think Banjo has a phenomenal chance to get into Smash.. I listed my reasons a few pages ago.. but I also want to address a few things that I've seen mentioned..

Banjo getting into Smash would kick start a revival... there is no better time to revice Banjo.. Crash and Spyro have just recently gotten revivals to big positive reactions. I'm sure MS can see this and while we may not get a "new" Banjo game I don't see why we wouldnt get HD remakes of the original 2.

If Banjo is in Smash his revival has been planned since at least 2016. Sakurai would have surely started to reach out to 3rd parties as soon as he got the green light. If Banjo was discussed in 2016 MS could have decided to use Smash as a chance to bring life back to the franchise or at the least use Smash to gauge interest in the character.. which I'm sure it'd probably be the former because clearly they can see how popular his character is from the requests.. this means a Banjo comeback would have been planned around 2016, Yooka-Laylee came out in 2017 MS wouldn't make a move before Banjos Smash debut since they could ride the Smash Bros. Hype. Just because they didn't announce anything for Banjo around YLs release doesn't mean nothing is planned. ..

Yes the current head of Rare said they're not focusing on old IPs because they want to focus on new projects.. but theyre making a new Battletoads, which could be made by another studio. The current Killer Instinct wasn't made by Rare even though it's their IP and that's because by extension it''s Microsoft's IP and they can do whatever they want with it. Don't be surprised if another company is tasked with making a new Banjo game. Microsoft would certainly sieze the opportunity of Banjo in Smash to make him relevant again... especially now when MS has very little going for them with exclusives.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but if there were to be a new Banjo Kazooie game, be it Crash/Spyro style remake or a brand new game, not only would it make its way to Xbox Game Pass, but it would also be coming to PC. Think about that for a second, Banjo Kazooie on PC. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

I know Nuts and Bolts isn't the most beloved game of all time, but I would love to see it come to PC in some way. A bump in resolution ands framerate would do wonders for that game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I will make sure to get the entire weekend off maybe order some Pizza and play against some friends online and since the Switch is portable I will make sure to bring it to work to play against some co-workers during lunch breaks. I would definitely try to master Banjo-Kazooie and King.K Rool and have them join my mains DK, Diddy Kong, Yoshi and Greninja.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I see many people suggesting that wording is definitive, and even Source Gaming is on that train of thought--I don't buy it, and I don't think it's my bias showing. With four months to release and at least one direct focusing on Smash, I don't think they would deconfirm so many potential characters that early, or likewise, wouldn't introduce a big new character from a new IP without a stage.

Part of the wording suggests it's definitive (giving a specific number), while other parts are more flexible--"...turning out to be pretty impressive", and the ambiguously contradictory "now the total number...". Although, we can't get too detailed in nitpicking the wording, as it's a translation and I haven't heard anything definitive from those on the forums who would know the original Japanese. All it means is it's currently--unknown.

My hope is that when creating the design of the game Sakurai didn't decide to bring back nearly 100 fan favorites (some of which... aren't) while only having four new stages (for a game that's not supposed to be a port). I also think to clear it up in case there are only four stages, to preface like he did with characters, "Don't expect many new" stages. I would think if an outlet asked Nintendo they would be able to confirm if it was the total for the base game, or give no response if there were more to be announced.

I would like more definitive answers though, even if it hurts my case. The wait for the next announcement will be excruciating.
I'm with you on this one. An interesting thing to keep in mind that I just thought of: the "stages" tab on the home page of the site has been shown to be able to include a "NEW!" highlight, such as you would use for updates, like with the character and item tabs. BUT. The stages tab was not available until after the last direct.

Now, tell me: why would they bother to design that aspect of the site if there weren't ever going to be any more stages?

Just some food for thought.;)

Switch Isaac and Skull Kid's orders, and you have my exact prediction.

Another thing I just thought of...all this talk of unlocking the characters with friends on release day has me wondering if the "Spirits" mode is really a single-player experience. The starting roster is so small, and a lot of people will probably want to jump right into some free-for-all Smash matches with friends for just such a release party type of event--are they expecting everyone to wait for one person to unlock everyone else's mains and the cool new characters? It just seems counterintuitive to multiplayer to have Spirits be the fastest way to unlock the whole roster.

Unless...Spirits IS multiplayer.

I don't know what it could possibly entail, but this seems like the only fix. I'm interested to see how this is handled...

Anyway, that is totally not about Banjo-Kazooie, lol. Sorry for derailing. These ideas just popped up.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The very first thing I want to do is play an 8 way Smash battle with the original 8 characters.

The second and third things will be unlocking Isaac and Banjo & Kazooie.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I'm with you on this one. An interesting thing to keep in mind that I just thought of: the "stages" tab on the home page of the site has been shown to be able to include a "NEW!" highlight, such as you would use for updates, like with the character and item tabs. BUT. The stages tab was not available until after the last direct.

Now, tell me: why would they bother to design that aspect of the site if there weren't ever going to be any more stages?

Just some food for thought.;)

Switch Isaac and Skull Kid's orders, and you have my exact prediction.

Another thing I just thought of...all this talk of unlocking the characters with friends on release day has me wondering if the "Spirits" mode is really a single-player experience. The starting roster is so small, and a lot of people will probably want to jump right into some free-for-all Smash matches with friends for just such a release party type of event--are they expecting everyone to wait for one person to unlock everyone else's mains and the cool new characters? It just seems counterintuitive to multiplayer to have Spirits be the fastest way to unlock the whole roster.

Unless...Spirits IS multiplayer.

I don't know what it could possibly entail, but this seems like the only fix. I'm interested to see how this is handled...

Anyway, that is totally not about Banjo-Kazooie, lol. Sorry for derailing. These ideas just popped up.
No worries, these ideas pop into my head as well, and it's fun--so I kept the longer version of my post in quotes. The summary, though, is I agree with that general format, despite only have one or two samples to establish a pattern. My predictions are

- September Nintendo Direct, featuring Banana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong and Isabelle.
- October Japanese Nintendo Direct featuring Isaac.
- November Smash Direct featuring Banjo & Kazooie, Shadow, Ken, and Geno.

I agree that would be the best format, if given two directs--I have a feeling, though, we'll be getting smaller Smash content in a Nintendo Direct, with a Smash Direct either October or November. I think the pattern of start with new IP, end with existing IP fits well. It's also the case that with the last direct, opening with an important IP and then ending with a highly requested character fits too (it fits with E3 with Inkling/Ridley as well).

Banjo's undoubtedly popular, though it's kind of neck and neck with Geno. But Banjo would be more important given his legacy with Nintendo and Rare, as well as the significance of working with Microsoft, and would be shown of first. Whereas Geno's primary significance is his popularity and association with a beloved Mario spin-off, and shown off last.

My prediction would be a September Direct with one unique fighter, my guess Bandana Waddle Dee, and a couple of echoes, my guess being Dixie Kong and Isabelle. I think like with Shulk, we'll get a Japanese only direct with a popular unique character in October. Perhaps Isaac? This, for me, is the hardest to predict. Could also be Elma.

Followed by a November Smash Direct in a similar format to the August Smash Direct, with a focus on single-player and online modes, as well as announcing a demo/online tournament. I also think "Spirits" mode is just a placeholder--no way they would go through all that effort to mask the mode and not consider if someone could unmask it. As a precaution, using a name that doesn't spoil anything makes sense. My guess is the same as everyone's--Adventure Mode with Subspace Emissary like cut scenes to have the best of both worlds as a means of unlocking characters.

Opening with Banjo, going over his moves, possible stage/Gruntilda boss, characters, music. Echo fighters could be Shadow and Ken, possibly Impa. And then it would end with either Skull Kid or Geno. My hesitation on Geno is with having three third party characters (as opposed to 2 each in Brawl and Smash 4), as well as Square Enix being difficult when it comes to rights (evidenced by their treatment of Final Fantasy). That being said, Geno could be an exception given his association with a Mario series (perhaps his music is in that second Mario icon?). I could also see Paper Mario as a popular choice instead of Geno.

Newcomers (8): Inkling, Ridley, Simon Belmont, King K Rool, Bandana Waddle Dee, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno.
Echoes (8): Daisy, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, Dixie Kong, Isabelle, Shadow, Ken.

EDIT: Also to cover all my bases--this is how I feel it will turn out, not taking rumors into consideration. Taking rumors into consideration:

Newcomers (8): Inkling, Ridley, Simon Belmont, King K Rool, Incineroar, Skull Kid, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie
Echoes (8): Daisy, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Ken

However, Sakurai is completely unpredictable, and only truly expect that I am just as surprised as I was with the latest Direct.

Last edited:

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Just because I love sharing my thoughts, even if I'm regrettably late to the discussion...

A lot of folks think it would be foolish of Nintendo to bring in Banjo because that would jump start direct competition for Mario on a rival platform. What do the Banjo-Roos think of that hogwash?
I have two words to counter that belief: Crash. Bandicoot. Now that we have Crash's N. Sane Trilogy on the Switch, that just screams to me that Nintendo wouldn't be bothered by Banjo and Kazooie by this point. After all, Crash is now playable on a Nintendo console while also not being owned by Nintendo themselves. Seems to me Nintendo has stopped caring about former or current rivalries with other companies at the moment.

Hey all, if Banjo and Kazooie got in, how would you want them referred to on the CSS? Banjo-Kazooie? Banjo and Kazooie? Just Banjo?
I can't believe I never bothered to think of this before. Hmm... I rather like how "Banjo-Kazooie" rolls off the tongue for me, instead of "Banjo and Kazooie." That said though, I think both would be appropriate, so I'm not all too picky. Just please don't limit them to simply Banjo. As someone once said earlier, that's a disservice to our favorite sassy breegull.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
No worries, these ideas pop into my head as well, and it's fun--so I kept the longer version of my post in quotes. The summary, though, is I agree with that general format, despite only have one or two samples to establish a pattern. My predictions are

- September Nintendo Direct, featuring Banana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong and Isabelle.

However, Sakurai is completely unpredictable, and only truly expect that I am just as surprised as I was with the latest Direct.
That's a great prediction! I was wondering how we might get all the info, considering we'll probably only get one more dedicated Smash direct (two seems unlikely.) I'm not sure how the Japanese only one would work, but worst case, they'll just pull a Robin for us and do a trailer event.

The thing I love most about this is it fits perfectly with my own theory about the number 8 in this Smash--8 starters, 8 newcomers, 8 echoes. All the Smash info has been releasing on 8ths. The game itself releases on the Friday before an 8th. There is a theme here.

I like how you think, lol.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I don't think it would make much sense for Isaac to be revealed in a Japanese centric direct, since most of his popularity comes from the west.

Really going by the exit poll Bandana Dee would make more sense for a Japanese direct, though I don't think we'll be getting any directs solely for Japan anyway.

I could see Isaac being revealed on his own (or along with a Felix echo) in a trailer drop similar to what Robin/Lucina got though.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Banjo and Kazooie have been my most wanted forever. It’s crazy that even though they have the history with Nintendo and both Phil Spencer and Rare are on good terms with them and are open to the idea, it’s never happened. Yet somehow Cloud who has never been on a Nintendo console got in lol

They’re doing my boy dirty

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
September Nintendo direct: Bandana Waddle Dee
October Smash Direct: Skull Kid, Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Isaac
November Smash Direct: Geno, Shadow, Ken, Banjo and Kazooie

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
I had a dream before the E3 reveal where the first thing I did was playing break the targers with Captain Falcon and I intend on doing just that. However, if we begin with the original 8, then I would begin by playing Classic mode with Samus. She was the first player I ever used back in Smash 64 days and who knows maybe I unlock Dark Samus or Ridley like this.

I think it would be way more hype if they reveal Geno first in the last smash direct, that way you know something really BIG is coming at the end, and if Geno was already revealed then Banjo Kazooie's chances will skyrocket!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Since we brought up what the duo would like to be called on the fighter select screen by the Smash announcer another minor detail I would like to discuss is what their stage entrance should be when the announcer is counting down 3...2...1... Go!!! Probably the most obvious choice would be their warp pad entrance when they enter a world in the first game ,but I personally think it's a little generic, I would love to see their stage entrance where they come dive bombing down from the sky while screaming and then crashing or faceplanting on to the stage and then dusting themselves off really quick like their ok, then doing a quick ready to fight pose while Banjo says "Guh-huh !!!" and Kazooie says "Breegull !!!" in a slapstick kind of way, it would be fitting for the duo since the B-K games have that kind of silly, quirky, wacky charm to them and just like their anticipating debut in Smash it would be like they were coming out of no where or out of left field.

Last edited:

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
Since we brought up what the duo would like to be called on the fighter select screen by the Smash announcer another minor detail I would like to discuss is what their stage entrance should be when the announcer is counting down 3...2...1... Go!!! Probably the most obvious choice would be their warp pad entrance when they enter a world in the first game ,but I personally think it's a little generic, I would love to see one where they come dive bombing down from the sky while screaming and then crashing on to the stage and then dusting themselves off really quick like their ok, then doing a quick ready to fight pose while Banjo says "Guh-huh !!!" and Kazooie says "Breegull or Breee !!!" in a slapstick kind of way, it would be fitting for the duo since the B-K games have that kind of silly, quirky and oddball charm and just like their anticipating debut in Smash it would be like they were coming out of no where or out of left field.
Your suggestion is far more original than anything I was able to come up with! The only idea that came to mind for me was having the duo appear on stage via one of Jamjars' silos from Banjo-Tooie.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/1028735930910236672?s=20

So, Grant Kirkhope is rather doubtful of the duo's chances. What do you guys think?
He's a cynical brit who's just as much in the dark as we are. He's a freelancing composer, hasn't been at Rare for over a decade. He wouldn't even be contacted about the music because
  • He doesn't own it, Rare/Microsoft would, especially in how the UKs intellectual property rights laws work.
  • Sakurai gets his team of composers to remix/recompose most of Smashs music, original composers are generally not involved, and a western composer has NEVER done a track for any Smash game
Sure he's doubtful, just about every person I ever see talk about Banjo is, but that's just a mere opinion. The evidence in my mind stacks towards it one day happening.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
And I doubt he was approached to do any music or any voices either. Banjo and Kazooie are both voiced by Chris Sutherland, and Kirkhope only did the voice of Mumbo, really.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Thing is, he has zero insider knowledge, so why would know anything?

Still love his music

Top Bottom