• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
I just want to bring something from Super Star into Bandana Dee's moveset. We all know how much everybody here loves Super Star content in Smash!

sobsobsobsobsobsbosbosbsobso

sbobsobsobs

sob
When I think of Bandana Dee in Super Star, I think of Revenge of the King discussion with King Dedede rather than the Megaton Punch. Maybe he can have a deescussion with Dedede like Falco and Foxe's easter egg when Sm5sh comes out. If he gets Dee-LC, the Easter Egg could be done with Kirby and MK on Halberd. It has a minor chance, I mean Sakurai is totally not Super Star bias.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I just want to bring something from Super Star into Bandana Dee's moveset. We all know how much everybody here loves Super Star content in Smash!

sobsobsobsobsobsbosbosbsobso

sbobsobsobs

sob
Hey, You know how much I love Super Star. It is love and life. I just wish Sakurai would give props to other games besides his own in smash so we can FINALLY SEE A MODERN STAGE OR NEW CHARACTER.

Also the reason games like RtDL are so expensive now is because less copies of it sold in the west than Epic Yarn. (Even though I personally think it's the superiors game). So at some point they stopped printing copies. Meaning they become rarer with time. Your average physical copy of RtDL is now a collectible averaging around 80 dollars.

I like to check the prices of KSS and RtDL regularly, lol. A copy of KSS in box with manual can average over a 120 dollars or more depending on if all inserts are included. Than you're looking at over 200+.

There's a graded and VGA copy a Japanese KSS MINT in box going for 5000 on ebay lol.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Hey, You know how much I love Super Star. It is love and life. I just wish Sakurai would give props to other games besides his own in smash so we can FINALLY SEE A MODERN STAGE OR NEW CHARACTER.

Also the reason games like RtDL are so expensive now is because less copies of it sold in the west than Epic Yarn. (Even though I personally think it's the superiors game). So at some point they stopped printing copies. Meaning they become rarer with time. Your average physical copy of RtDL is now a collectible averaging around 80 dollars.

I like to check the prices of KSS and RtDL regularly, lol. A copy of KSS in box with manual can average over a 120 dollars or more depending on if all inserts are included. Than you're looking at over 200+.

There's a graded and VGA copy a Japanese KSS MINT in box going for 5000 on ebay lol.
Who would sell a Kirby game?! They're too precious to sell. I love Super Star, but I'm really sick of it being the "main Smash Kirby". I mean, EVERYTHING is affected by that game, even the Kirby characters' moveset! I want Amazing Mirror modern Kirby game content!

Epic Yarn actually had more advertisements than RtDL for some reason. When that game came out, I would see a commercial on every day about it. With RtDL, I saw one, maybe two commercials on about it. The same goes for Triple Deluxe. I'm not really sure, but NoA cares more about the spin-off titles than the actual ones.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Who would sell a Kirby game?! They're too precious to sell. I love Super Star, but I'm really sick of it being the "main Smash Kirby". I mean, EVERYTHING is affected by that game, even the Kirby characters' moveset! I want Amazing Mirror modern Kirby game content!

Epic Yarn actually had more advertisements than RtDL for some reason. When that game came out, I would see a commercial on every day about it. With RtDL, I saw one, maybe two commercials on about it. The same goes for Triple Deluxe. I'm not really sure, but NoA cares more about the spin-off titles than the actual ones.
During the time that Epic Yarn came out, it was at the height of that whole "Nintendo, NO GAMES" moment where fans were getting agitated by few 1st party offerings and little 3rd party support. Suddenly growing impatience and trendy hatred against Nintendo was much higher. Suddenly buzzwords like "innovative" and "rehash" were so rampant they lost all meaning to anyone with sense. So when Epic Yarn with it's unique art style came out, people felt it was Nintendo finally coming out with something "different". So it got a lot of positive buzz and even IGN who is always harsh against Kirby games, gave it a high score. Kirby for some reason (like all Nintendo franchises at the time) were being proclaimed by critics as being too samey or a series full of rehashes. (Because by their shallow logic Kirby eating enemies and getting powers = rehash. Even though games like Canvas Curse, Tilt n Tumble, KSS and Amazing Mirror are TOTAALLY Rehashes amirite? ) You know it's bull**** too when IGN rates Triple Deluxe as mediocre because of it's ease (omg it's entry level, no ****) but than goes and has Epic Yarn with a much higher rating and it's literally the easiest game in the whole franchise.

Epic Yarn is more of freak outcome due to the circumstances and climate it was birthed into. Nintendo was low on consumer confidence in their system. Epic Yarn seemed super fresh and new at the time. Their way of not being seen as releasing too many "rehashes". The game sold more than Return to Dreamland. So even though fans demanded a game like Triple Deluxe more... mainstream folks who normally don't buy Kirby, were also people who bought Epic Yarn. RtDL did better in Japan were folks adore classic Kirby much more. However I can see the possible trend of Nintendo advertising more and backing up more the sort of games that westerners buy more of. I don't think it's the end of Kirby eating things up but Kirby has always been a franchise that Nintendo pushed it's experimental ideas on. It's never felt like a rehashy series to me and at this point, being a ball or vehicle has become as much a part of Kirby as eating his enemies. Still I am a long time Kirby fan whose interest in the franchise was classic stuff with powers. So I always hope that this is the stuff we can get more of, personally.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I like Epic Yarn...

don't hurt me pls
That's fine. I think Epic Yarn is solid. It's just also one of my least favorite Kirby games. I never cared to revisit it much and spent more time decorating than replaying the levels... which I mean... there's animal crossing for that. So It sort of falls low on my list. Still being last on a list of all great games doesn't really put you in the **** list either. I say this as someone whose knitted her own Epic Yarn hat.

I do have anger issues against Epic Yarn because I had waiting 10 years for a more legit Kirby game rather than one where Kirby is shoehorned in.

I mean ANYONE would feel that way if you've just seeeeeen what they were developing on before Epic Yarn.

So whenever I saw Epic Yarn I got so mad and sometimes just still do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like Epic Yarn...

don't hurt me pls
As do I.
Smash, Kirby 64, and Kirby Super Star Ultra made me get into the series and begin to enjoy it, but Epic Yarn was what cemented me as a Kirby fan. I love the game's level design, aesthetics, and music. It had a certain unique charm that I haven't seen in many games and I can't wait for the "sequel" with Yoshi. However, I do understand why people might not like it so much.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Did Kirby Epic Yarn get any content in Smash 4? It was my first Kirby game which i got many years ago so it would have been nice for it to get some content.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
My first Kirby game was Dreamland B) I'm sure a lot of folks here are much younger than me.

I think this may have something to also do with why I'm not partial to some games like Epic Yarn. That classic Kirby sucking up enemies thing is how I got into Kirby and he helped me grow the coordination I now have in games.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
My first Kirby game was Kirby's Adventure. While I do prefer Kirby's standard gameplay, I really do love how experimental HAL is with the series. It's why, while a bit lacking, I love Epic Yarn. Also, the fact that it was so easy let my sister play it without ever complaining, as dying in that game doesn't have any drawbacks other than losing some of those gem thingies. Also, Kirby's little house is the most adorable thing ever. I decorated it so much.

I really miss Rainbow Resort now. Those levels were so great...

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Style Savvy Trendsetters > Animal Crossing. It's less about decorating your home than it is abut fashion but I love that SIM game in comparison. Owning your own shop and making people happy with your style was so addictive.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You want to BE Kirby?

I for one, want a Kirby Maker game much like how they're doing Mario Maker.
I want a Kirby 'make your own powerups.'
Kirby 64 got it close with being able to combine different types- lets expand on that more, and add in three different combinations, with 16 different base types.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I love Epic Yarn. It was just so cute and I love decorating my pad (who put all of the dolls in the pad).

Though it felt too easy, even by Kirby standards. But it could be just because I'm too used to the lives system.

... it was also my first kirby game..... I'M SORRY MY KIRBY BETHRENS ;-;

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I want a Kirby 'make your own powerups.'
Kirby 64 got it close with being able to combine different types- lets expand on that more, and add in three different combinations, with 16 different base types.
Only if we can have movesets as well. That would be crazy to program but how BADASS would it be to have power combinations PLUS movesets. WOW. It can lead to more complex level puzzles, more ways to attack and speed run, more options for True Arena power running *o* Hal could just take all my money.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The first Kirby game that I played was Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Kirby Epic Yarn is not my favorite Kirby game, and I prefer Good Feel's previous creation, Warioland Shake It, but I still enjoyed it.
It's the easiest thing in the world, but only to casual gamers. If you are an hardcore gamer and want to finish it getting 100% of the content, it can be very frustrating. To get the maximum rank in each level, you must do them without getting hit once, somethimes, and trust me, in some levels it's extremely hard!
It's definitely harder to 100% than its Wario counterpart, this for sure (I "100%d" both).

Anyway, my first Kirby game was Kirby's Adventure, and I fell in love with it because "it's like Super Mario Land 2 and Warioland, but you can also fly and copy abilities from enemies".
I still love that game and it's the only Sakurai directed Kirby game that I consider a real masterpiece (Dremland 1 is too short and it's just an experiment, Air Ride is a bit rough and too much achievement based, and Superstar is too much fighting and treasure hunt oriented for my tastes).

EDIT: Actually, I'm doing (on paper) a concept of a Kirby game that's a mix between Superstar and Dreamland 3/64, and it features a larger ability tree structured into levels; in the lower levels, abilities are simpler and your life gauge is splitted in 5 pieces (with no abilities, just 4), while higher level abilities are weaker, but have more complex movesets and the life gauge is splitted into more pieces so you can be hit more (example: Kirby is Lv1; Stone Kirby is Lv2 and can kill enemies with 1 hit; Fighter Kirby is Lv4 and needs 3 hits to kill an enemy, but it's a lot faster and has more defense). There are also some Lv0 abilities, like vapor (water + fire), sleep and photo (this is for an after game mission); those abilities are power-down. Riding an animal/veichle brings you to Lv5 (that's the maximum level possible, except for LvMAX that's only for invincible candy and final weapons), but you can't combine your abilities with the animals (they are meant to allow a sort of "copy ability" for the other characters in multiplayer, those character who can't copy abilities). I'm planning to put Kirby, MetaKnight, Adeleine and Bandana Dee as playable characters, with Dedede as fake final boss, that can be unlocked as playable only after the end of the game, but I want to make a creative concept for their gameplay first (I'm thinking of using Gooey, Daroach and Chef Kawasaki as well, but I fear that there would be too many playable characters... unless we make an 8 PLAYER Kirby game O_o).

EDIT2: it would be interesting to make Ninja a Lv0 ability (life gauge splitted into 2 pieces) but giving it overpowered moves... in other words, stealth gameplay XD

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I thought Epic Yarn was easy EVEN with the collecting. Got gold medals and all items on my 1st run of almost all the levels x_x Normally I'd agree that the extra content in Kirby games and scoring gold/platinum is HARD like in Dedede Drum Dash, Magolor's Power room challenges, the True Arenas... but Epic Yarn's collecting and scoring were still as easy as the main game itself, imho. Not that I'm saying this is bad. I feel like Epic Yarn is for people REALLY awkward at platforming. Where even the other Kirby games are too hard for them x_x Like my little cousin dies all the time playing Return to Dreamland and that game isn't hard at all BUT she's little so it's still TOO hard. Epic Yarn might be good for her to play cause it's just SOOOOOOOOO Easy.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I thought Epic Yarn was easy EVEN with the collecting. Got gold medals and all items on my 1st run of almost all the levels x_x Normally I'd agree that the extra content in Kirby games and scoring gold/platinum is HARD like in Dedede Drum Dash, Magolor's Power room challenges, the True Arenas... but Epic Yarn's collecting and scoring were still as easy as the main game itself, imho. Not that I'm saying this is bad. I feel like Epic Yarn is for people REALLY awkward at platforming. Where even the other Kirby games are too hard for them x_x Like my little cousin dies all the time playing Return to Dreamland and that game isn't hard at all BUT she's little so it's still TOO hard. Epic Yarn might be good for her to play cause it's just SOOOOOOOOO Easy.
But if I remember well, there was a platinum rank as well... or anyway, something above the gold that required you to get almost every gem of the level... I remember having lots of troubles with that, and raging about my beads falling into pits...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Goddamn, you really are the queen of Kirby!

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
We should all join together and make an idea for a Kirby game.

Then we send it to HAL.

If they don't make it we send an army of angry Ridley fans waddle dee at them.

What is the plural for waddle dee?

D

Deleted member

It's definitely harder to 100% than its Wario counterpart, this for sure (I "100%d" both).
I have to disagree.

I find Epic Yarn to be easier to 100%. I found all of the treasure and bought every piece of furniture at the shops, got at least a bronze on every level, and I did all of the objectives the roommates gave.
Wario Land on the other hand, I couldn't 100% because I found it more difficult with its secondary objectives and I couldn't find all of the treasure on my first playthrough in every level. I didn't feel too motivated too 100% the levels outside of Glittertown (only for the music).

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
First Kirby are Crystal Shards that I love. Mixing power am always wondered who was the last boss. After 10 years I complete the game 100% for the first time. Love 02 battle and its freaky cool theme!
Kirby Epic Yarn was great and very darn charming. I love decorating my house, It was full of crap.
But everything change when Kirby Return to Dream Land, I was waiting for a REAL Kirby game in a console since, Crystal Shard.

Ah, oh boy. I completed the game Twice 100%. LOVE IT. Im still loving since today and then did twice with Kirby Triple Deluxe.
Am aware that Kirby canvas course I like it a lot too. But Rainbow course Is gonna be cool for my taste.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have to disagree.

I find Epic Yarn to be easier to 100%. I found all of the treasure and bought every piece of furniture at the shops, got at least a bronze on every level, and I did all of the objectives the roommates gave.
Wario Land on the other hand, I couldn't 100% because I found it more difficult with its secondary objectives and I couldn't find all of the treasure on my first playthrough in every level. I didn't feel too motivated too 100% the levels outside of Glittertown (only for the music).
Then it's probably because I played it with my brother... you know, the Tails effect

Anyway, the "platinum" rank was only for bosses, and it was a bonus patch more than a ranking.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The True Arena hasn't really been hard outside of Helper to Hero, if you count that. While some abilities definitely do make it harder, it's still pretty easy. I'd say that the hardest one would be Triple Deluxe, but even then, the bosses are predictable with their attacks and generally bad at hitting Kirby. Add in the fact that there's the incredibly overpowered Archer ability, and it might as well be the easiest one. The only boss I really had trouble with was Pyribbit and Dark Meta Knight, Pyribbit because I never bothered to learn his patterns, and Dark Meta Knight because he's Dark Meta Knight. Queen Sectonia isn't hard at all, she just likes to teleport everywhere. Magolor's Power Room Challenges were pretty easy after you go through the level once to see how it's designed, so you can then re-run it for a better score.

I don't like Dedede's Drum Dash, though. I'm horrible at it, lol.

The one thing I'd say is REALLY hard is Kirby Fighters (Z included) done on the hardest difficulty without continuing at all. It's the reason why I was saying that it was so hard when I was going through it. For some reason, I just assumed everybody went that way -- the continues make it way too easy. It took me forever to beat it with all abilities like that.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima Well you challenge yourself in Arena run in various ways since it's so open by it's design. You can choose to do a run with a power you're less likely to use/be good at, no power, no guard, or no tomatoes. You can choose to beat your best time. Of course if you just run it with the most OP power ever it's easy but some powers are more of a challenge especially if you're not great with them. You also have the option to challenge yourself or master movesets and learn which moves do the most damage. Know when to use those moves in battle, and beat your best time. There's quite a bit to do.

True Arena IS challenging. Maybe not to you but compare it to say... collecting furniture in Epic Yarn and merely by design it was crafted for the player to overcome with a bit more reflex and precision. By it's nature it's a more considerable challenge mode in the game.

I'm not saying Epic Yarn needed to be hard. It seems the point of that game was to be even more easy than your usual Kirby experiences which itself isn't Contra hard but still offers a bit more in regards to challenge.

Also Dedede Drum Dash is the ****. It's great. It is BRUTALLY HARD TO GET PLATINUM. Harder than beating Kirby Fighters Z, honestly.

That Platinum is either Giratina or the extra patch in bosses
Okay yeah I got all those.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
True Arena IS challenge. Maybe not to you but compare it to say... collecting furniture in Epic Yarn and merely by design it was crafted for the player to overcome with a bit more reflex and precision. By it's nature it's a more considerable challenge mode in the game.
Collecting furniture and designing my house was the most difficult thing I've ever experienced in a video game. I had to spend over a year learning the design philosophy on "How to decorate yarn houses", spending most of my free time researching each piece of furniture to find out exactly where it should go. After over three years of researching, experimenting, and planning, I created the most complex yet sophisticated house in all of Patch Land. The house is so magnificent that sharing it with you would make your eyeballs melt in their sockets, have them drip down to your heart, and harden over it, eventually killing you. For that reason, I cannot show you this masterpiece.

Top Bottom