• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Dreamland 3 was the best game IMO
I'm not really into Shimomura Kirby games but I thought Dreamland 2 was better than 3 imo. Not sure if you've played it. Not many folks have as much. I suggest finding a rom if you haven't. I personally like it better because it's actually one of Kirby's more challenging games. (even though it is an entry level series, this one for some reason a little more challenging than the usual Kirby)

My personal favorite Kirby games are definitely Kirby Super Star/Ultra and Triple Deluxe. Return to Dreamland is good too. I'm on the Sakurai/Shinya side of the Kirby spectrum. I LOVE doing arena power runs. A fun great challenge.

Play Dreamland 2 though. Dark Swordsman is cool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not really into Shimomura Kirby games but I thought Dreamland 2 was better than 3 imo. Not sure if you've played it. Not many folks have as much. I suggest finding a rom if you haven't. I personally like it better because it's actually one of Kirby's more challenging games. (even though it is an entry level series, this one for some reason a little more challenging than the usual Kirby)

My personal favorite Kirby games are definitely Kirby Super Star/Ultra and Triple Deluxe. Return to Dreamland is good too. I'm on the Sakurai/Shinya side of the Kirby spectrum. I LOVE doing arena power runs. A fun great challenge.

Play Dreamland 2 though. Dark Swordsman is cool.
Dark Castle's rainbow shard was hard to get, I prefer 3, but 2 is overall still a game that could be recommended. I even got max points in KDL2

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Dark Castle's rainbow shard was hard to get, I prefer 3, but 2 is overall still a game that could be recommended. I even got max points in KDL2
I actually enjoyed the challenge of getting those rainbow shards. I liked the challenge of juggling the animal friend and powers to get to the area. It beat the weird change to challenges in DL3 that comprised of simple things like guessing a color gordo or not stepping on flowers x_x which didn't incorporate Kirby's abilities much. Still I can understand the appeal of DL2 since it's basically DL3 but with more animal friends and colorful. More stuff.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I actually enjoyed the challenge of getting those rainbow shards. I liked the challenge of juggling the animal friend and powers to get to the area. It beat the weird change to challenges in DL3 that comprised of simple things like guessing a color gordo or not stepping on flowers x_x which didn't incorporate Kirby's abilities much. Still I can understand the appeal of DL2 since it's basically DL3 but with more animal friends and colorful. More stuff.
you uh, you mixed the two up! Although I prefer 3, I agree with you, 2 is better in difficulty and using abilities, but 3 has more charm to me personally. Then again, we are literally talking about a franchise that is older than 20 years and still hasn't had a legitimately bad game

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So is Bandana Dee in this at all?

I think he may be my most wanted character now.

Also, The lack of content from non-sakurai games is REALLY insulting.

Where is CROWNED? another Dimension, TD Final Boss, Galacta Knight Theme, Masked Dedede, ANY STAGE NOT FROM SUPER STAR.

I like most things Sakurai does but if I were to ever list a reason for someone else to take over is so we can get better Kirby content.

That said its not a big deal, and I don't think Sakurai decides music, just influences it with the stages he makes.

At least we got Ultra Sword and some trophies

As for Favourite Kirby games, Adventure Wii and Squeak Squad are my favourites, followed by Triple Deluxe and Super Star Ultra

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
I could make you a Christmas avatar.
Thank you. I would like that.

And on the best Kirby game topic, Rtdl and Air Ride (which really needs a remake) would win for me, just because of the multiplayer ability. Kirby Fighters Deluxe is high on my list too just because of the look on my friends face when I get the Team Cannon. While on Kirby Fighters, this game made me think Shadow Kirby was going to be an Alt Costume for Kirby in Ssb4.

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I like Dream Land 3 better because the art style is adorable.
I loved DL3 too. At first I thought the art style was too cutesy but got over it. It wasn't super difficult (except for the second to last level with the umbrella boss). Personally, I would be colored happy if Sakuria brought back the hand drawn looks back for at least one game.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
My hunt is over...

Zero bandana dee... Not even a Normal Waddle Dee trophy...

THAT IT! NOW I WANT HIM FOR REAL!
BANDANA DEE DLC PACK!
INCLUDE:
-Bandana Waddle Dee is a playable characters!
-Two new Stages, Cookie Country Wii U and Fountain of Dream 3DS!
-New Music Included when you purchased the DLC PACK!
-Fountain of Dreams get 2 Music only.
-Cookie Country get NEW remixes and Original Music.
-Ricky is a Assist Trophy.
-Removed Ridley

And that it.

Is Bandana Dee gonna get a Trailer, Fountain of Dreams need to be the Music of Choose for the entire Trailer.
IM REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT THE DEE!

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I loved DL3 too. At first I thought the art style was too cutesy but got over it. It wasn't super difficult (except for the second to last level with the umbrella boss). Personally, I would be colored happy if Sakurai. brought back the hand drawn looks back for at least one game.
Sakurai didn't work on that game. Yeah DL3 has a cute style but I guess I'm not that enamored by it as others. To me all of Kirby's games are so ridiculously cute because Kirby is cute, it doesn't matter if he's made of clay or crayon. Sometimes aesthetics can be such a gimmick such as the case with Epic Yarn. A game that got a lot of praise for being cute as well and yet being a pretty bland platformer imo. At least with Rainbow Curse, I know it won't be the same case. Canvas Curse was a good game.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm the opposite as you: I love all Kirby games (we both do I think), but I prefer Shimomura's. My favorite is DL3 not because I like the others less, but because the others have some "issues" to me. DL2 had some boring levels, I remember a level all made by vanishing clouds with mumbies, and it was very long and repetitive... plus Kirby was unable to slide, and had less mobility overall.
K64 is too slow (:sonic:) and sometimes is too simple (not in difficulty, in realization) gameplay/level design wise. The abilities cancel your momentum all the times (except a small amount of them, like the fireworks that's one of my favorites), and they have a single move that sometimes is also scripted and you can't even play with it.
I like a lot better the atmosphere and the art style in those 3 games than in the rest of the Kirby franchise though, with some exceptions (Epic Yarn, Canvas and Rainbow Curse, and Triple Deluxe is moving through Shimomura's artstyle more in some levels).

D

Deleted member

Epic yarn was too easy
An easy game is not always a bad thing. Do I like to have a challenge? Of course; I like to play the DKC games from time to time. But do I also enjoy a relaxing experience? Absolutely. You just need that game that will help you relax and escape to an alternate world and I like Epic Yarn for that reason. The fact that it's easy helps me relax my mind as I play through a game with amazing music and stunning visuals.
I've played Kirby games before and I loved 64, Air Ride, and Super Star Ultra, but Epic Yarn solidified my love for the series.

Diddy kong needs to be nerfed.
Freaking down throw and back air...

Last edited by a moderator:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I'm the opposite as you: I love all Kirby games (we both do I think), but I prefer Shimomura's. My favorite is DL3 not because I like the others less, but because the others have some "issues" to me. DL2 had some boring levels, I remember a level all made by vanishing clouds with mumbies, and it was very long and repetitive... plus Kirby was unable to slide, and had less mobility overall.
K64 is too slow (:sonic:) and sometimes is too simple (not in difficulty, in realization) gameplay/level design wise. The abilities cancel your momentum all the times (except a small amount of them, like the fireworks that's one of my favorites), and they have a single move that sometimes is also scripted and you can't even play with it.
I like a lot better the atmosphere and the art style in those 3 games than in the rest of the Kirby franchise though, with some exceptions (Epic Yarn, Canvas and Rainbow Curse, and Triple Deluxe is moving through Shimomura's artstyle more in some levels).
I think Shimomura's games aren't bad but to me they don't really EVOLVE Kirby's abilities like Shinya and Sakurai do. Adding friends diversified a bit but I'd rather have movesets any day and I rather not have Kirby be dis-empowered by relying on friends to do things like swim better or fly faster... when we have abilities like wing and such... Just doesn't really do much for me. Just let me suck things up because I am Kirby and give me the power to do these things! To me the collection challenge was a bigger issue in DL3. Especially cause Shimomura relies so much on them to add the only difficulty and when the challenges are going to be dull guessing games in some instances or tasks that don't even utilize the abilities, I again see an issue with him evolving Kirby's powers where as in DL2 he had it down pat when it came to incorporating them in the gameplay. Why he relied on these changes, I don't know. DL3 could have been better for me if what amounted as the extra challenge wasn't so... lacking and in some cases annoying. I don't have the best vision so if your challenge is "OMG LOOK AT THIS FLASHING GORDO FAST"... and I **** up... I just have to go back into this level again and get all the way over there again to fail and repeat until I luckly guess the odd sound or whatever it is. That wasn't in the least bit fun at all. X_x The only friend I was REALLY excited to use was Pitch and that's cause he moved me faster.

To me because KIRBY = Puffball with powers as his WHOLE identity, what matters to me most in design personally is the powers. If you're going to have a more strict traditional platformer than it makes sense to use them within the challenge of the game and since that's Shimomura's direction (vs Sakurai's simply action use of the powers) than to me is a bigger deal I guess even versus level design. I found plenty of HAL's level work fantastic for the type of series they create. I do like all of Kirby games but there are ones I LOVE most.

My first Kirby game was original Dreamland. My Second Kirby game was probably K64 and than maybe Adventure. I never had a SNES growing up but wanted to play ALL Kirby games. So I downloaded the roms for DL3 and Kirby Super Star, etc. My opinion of the games were formed as an adult so they may be different than others people's.

I'm not saying Dreamland 3 is bad at all. I think it's a solid but to me I like the other games better.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
An easy game is not always a bad thing. Do I like to have a challenge? Of course; I like to play the DKC games from time to time. But do I also enjoy a relaxing experience? Absolutely. You just need that game that will help you relax and escape to an alternate world and I like Epic Yarn for that reason.
I've played Kirby games before and I loved 64 and Super Star Ultra, but Epic Yarn solidified my love for the series.

Freaking down throw and back air...
Oh I don't dislike it because it's easy. Most Kirby games are easy although Epic Yarn is the easiest. I actually have a lot of personal reasons for disliking the game so maybe I'm more harsh than I have to be. It's just after you waiting 10 years for an amazing game like KSS and you see video for a game in 3D like it... you get so hype... than than THIS IS WHAT THEY ANNOUNCE? Ugh. Personally I found Epic Yarn dull but maybe it's because I play Kirby for all the fun powers and this game was definitely the MOST limiting and dis-empowering games. It's like playing a game where you suck up the "yarn power" and it's the only one you get in the whole game... you turn into a car, you can be a sub, etc. That was it though. FOR THE WHOLE GAME. It was also really missing a HAL presence in the game. All the Kirby related stuff was at the end and every thing about Kirby in the game seemed forced because Kirby was FORCED to be in the game. I can imagine HAL still working on what was to become Return to Dreamland eventually and having to help Feel Good Inc. They had to just finish this other game and not adding much of their extra love of Kirby in there. Where as I played Mass Attack RIGHT after and it felt like HAL really put it in with that game. You can tell and see it with in the game itself and the AMAZING sub games that title had. Lots of cameos and love. So even though that game was less about powers than Epic Yarn was, it felt MORE like an actual Kirby game to me. The game play was also a lot more unique being a side scrolling pikmin-esque game it was an actually bigger gameplay changer than Epic Yarn was.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wait a moment...the Galacta Knight trophy mentions Galacta Knight's Theme, but the song is not in the game...
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAI!

Call911imonfire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Call911imonfire
Hey guys and gals I finally got the game! And I love it. Only one small problem though, there is a noticeable lack of Blue bandana clad small adorable fictional characters in the game (And also no C-R-O-W-N-E-D).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was comparing the speed in Kirby Superstar and Kirby 3, and I noticed a thing: Kirby 3 has half-sized sprites compared to superstar, so you see double of the level on screen compared to Superstar. That's why it "feels" slower than Superstar (it never felt slow to me) but it really isn't. I was comparing it by hiding half of the screen. They are about the same, maybe KDL3 is a tiny bit slower but it's really a small difference. KDL 3 has bigger and more linear levels, so you run most of the time, while Superstar has levels made of small rooms that feel shorter, so this may be another reason.
Anyway, KDL3's slide is the fastest in all Kirby games I think.

It felt faster to me because there are several things allowing you to run in the levels without stopping, like the fast slide (allowed you to run across enemies without taking damage) and stunning enemies with jump, hitting them from below, or when you're riding a big animal (except Coo), bouncing on their heads. I really enjoyed doing speedruns of that level in Cloudy park where you need to transport Rick until the end of the level... bouncing on enemies is not like Mario, it preserves your momentum better and it's harder to do, it almost feels like bouncing on enemies in a classic Sonic game.

The game is not perfect anyway, redoing a level because of a minigame is a bit annoying, but I never had much problem with minigames, I thought that they were fun. That ice level though, was very annoying to redo.
But nothing is as annoying as redoing Classic Mode and Trophy Rush again and again for a couple of weeks only to get an hat, so I won't say that Sakurai is better on this aspect.
The only real issue of the game is the fact that some side quests were very unintuitive and there were little to no hints, but they were just a few... I solved most of them by myself, without any walkthrough (only the green monster with blue spring that required Chuchu and the other one with the parasol on his/her head were a problem to me, and they were similar to solve... I don't really remember if there was something else but I don't think).

The fact that Simomura's games feel more like platformers is probably one of the reasons why I like them more, because I like platformers a lot, and I don't like beat-em-up so much (Superstar-esque games rely more on fighting lots of enemies than on level design, and they feel more like beat-em-up).
Flying in Shimomura's games is slower, but I don't consider it an issue, I think that it's a good way to balance the game: sometimes you can fly to cheat: if you fly, you're very slow and you can be hit easily, also it's boring flying so it's better to face the enemies and not try to cheat. Also, it makes using a flying animal special.

Ironically, the animal friend who I enjoy less riding is Pitch: because he can't stun enemies from below, because he can't jump on enemies and because he can fly but it's slow (and you can't even slide using him). The best thing of that animal is the RC tansformation with electric Kirby.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I was comparing the speed in Kirby Superstar and Kirby 3, and I noticed a thing: Kirby 3 has half-sized sprites compared to superstar, so you see double of the level on screen compared to Superstar. That's why it "feels" slower than Superstar (it never felt slow to me) but it really isn't. I was comparing it by hiding half of the screen. They are about the same, maybe KDL3 is a tiny bit slower but it's really a small difference. KDL 3 has bigger and more linear levels, so you run most of the time, while Superstar has levels made of small rooms that feel shorter, so this may be another reason.
Anyway, KDL3's slide is the fastest in all Kirby games I think.

It felt faster to me because there are several things allowing you to run in the levels without stopping, like the fast slide (allowed you to run across enemies without taking damage) and stunning enemies with jump, hitting them from below, or when you're riding a big animal (except Coo), bouncing on their heads. I really enjoyed doing speedruns of that level in Cloudy park where you need to transport Rick until the end of the level... bouncing on enemies is not like Mario, it preserves your momentum better and it's harder to do, it almost feels like bouncing on enemies in a classic Sonic game.

The game is not perfect anyway, redoing a level because of a minigame is a bit annoying, but I never had much problem with minigames, I thought that they were fun. That ice level though, was very annoying to redo.
But nothing is as annoying as redoing Classic Mode and Trophy Rush again and again for a couple of weeks only to get an hat, so I won't say that Sakurai is better on this aspect.
The only real issue of the game is the fact that some side quests were very unintuitive and there were little to no hints, but they were just a few... I solved most of them by myself, without any walkthrough (only the green monster with blue spring that required Chuchu and the other one with the parasol on his/her head were a problem to me, and they were similar to solve... I don't really remember if there was something else but I don't think).

The fact that Simomura's games feel more like platformers is probably one of the reasons why I like them more, because I like platformers a lot, and I don't like beat-em-up so much (Superstar-esque games rely more on fighting lots of enemies than on level design, and they feel more like beat-em-up).
Flying in Shimomura's games is slower, but I don't consider it an issue, I think that it's a good way to balance the game: sometimes you can fly to cheat: if you fly, you're very slow and you can be hit easily, also it's boring flying so it's better to face the enemies and not try to cheat. Also, it makes using a flying animal special.

Ironically, the animal friend who I enjoy less riding is Pitch: because he can't stun enemies from below, because he can't jump on enemies and because he can fly but it's slow (and you can't even slide using him). The best thing of that animal is the RC tansformation with electric Kirby.
Well let's agree to disagree. I just don't feel the same was about DL3 at all. Also don't think Sakurai is perfect but he's got something incredible about him. His genius ability to come up with new ways to experience mulitplayer. Air Ride might have sucked as a standard racing game but City Trial mode is such a cult classic beloved mode that people still talk about it. Kid Icarus was a solid title but I personally was even more impressed with the action in it's multiplayer mode. KSS was amazing and it's multiplayer and ALL the various helpers. Smash borrows SO much from it's design from KSS that I literally don't believe Smash Brothers as a franchise would exist had it not been for it's existence. Smash Brother is such a big franchise it's very announcement rocks the industry and gaming community. This is a very big thing and for that I love KSS. Smash itself as a creation of Sakurai is Amazing. Even if Trophy rush is a bust... it's SMASH. I play it too smash not for trophys. The trophies, unlike DL3 challenges aren't necessary to unlock major game content like a final boss! So I don't really care about them as seriously. I play smash to smash with friends and it's a game series I play for YEAAAAAAAARS. I love plaformers too but my favorite traditional precision based platformers tend to be other titles like Mario Galaxy 2 (OMG SO GREAT) and quirky indie titles like VVVVVV.

I know you like the other games more and that's fine. I feel like modern Kirby titles have sort of melded the two worlds a bit more.

It's a compromise for opposing Kirby fans.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I will soon report on whether a Bandana Dee trophy is in the game or not.

GUYS I'M SCARED

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
?Tahw o_O

He doesn't have a trophy. WTF?
I'm confused. Sorry. I thought all the trophies were revealed already unless... I'm wrong and people are still working on unlocking them. If that's the case... just disregard x_x

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm confused. Sorry. I thought all the trophies were revealed already unless... I'm wrong and people are still working on unlocking them. If that's the case... just disregard x_x
It's okay. Just eat this pancake, everything will be okay.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait a moment...the Galacta Knight trophy mentions Galacta Knight's Theme, but the song is not in the game...
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAI!
Can we have one of Nintendo's higher-ups tell Sakurai to put in some things?
My hunt is over...

Zero bandana dee... Not even a Normal Waddle Dee trophy...

THAT IT! NOW I WANT HIM FOR REAL!
BANDANA DEE DLC PACK!
INCLUDE:
-Bandana Waddle Dee is a playable characters!
-Two new Stages, Cookie Country Wii U and Fountain of Dream 3DS!
-New Music Included when you purchased the DLC PACK!
-Fountain of Dreams get 2 Music only.
-Cookie Country get NEW remixes and Original Music.
-Ricky is a Assist Trophy.
-Removed Ridley

And that it.

Is Bandana Dee gonna get a Trailer, Fountain of Dreams need to be the Music of Choose for the entire Trailer.
IM REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT THE DEE!
Sounds good! Wait Ridley? There was a rumour that Nintendo tried to convince Sakurai to put him in. And Ricky doesn't exist Rick does though.
Best Kirby Stage idea! Kirby Fighters stages!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm honestly surprised at the lack of a trophy. Especially with most of the Kirby ones being ported from Return to Dream Land.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Epic yarn was too easy.
Yeah, it was too easy. Still love it though. I especially love decorating my pad.

Also,am I the only one that doesn't get why Diddy is considered one of the best characters in the game?

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
[quote="Enderman1021, post: 18108590, member: 262160"Epic yarn was too easy .[/quote]

The only challenging level was Meta Knight as a boss. Yin-Yarn was WAY to easy of a Final Boss.

[quote="TehEpicRyuga, post: 18110185, member: 254250"
Best Kirby Stage idea! Kirby Fighters stages![/quote]

Butter Building and Waddle Dee Train Tracks all the way.

Well the quote isn't loading. I'll fix it soon.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
[quote="Enderman1021, post: 18108590, member: 262160"Epic yarn was too easy .
The only challenging level was Meta Knight as a boss. Yin-Yarn was WAY to easy of a Final Boss.

[quote="TehEpicRyuga, post: 18110185, member: 254250"
Best Kirby Stage idea! Kirby Fighters stages![/quote]

Butter Building and Waddle Dee Train Tracks all the way.

Well the quote isn't loading. I'll fix it soon.[/quote]
the alert said you quoted, and imagine Big Forest...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What might BD's final smash be?

I know a leak that was ultimately proven false suggested his FS might be Linada Landia (hilariously misspelled as Linda :awesome: )

But I wanna know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

I know a leak that was ultimately proven false suggested his FS might be Linada (hilariously misspelled as Linda :awesome: )

Landia would be cool.
The Megaton Punch would work.
Also, the Waddle Dee Tank or a "Brutality" with his spear XD (like Dedede's new Final Smash).

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

I know a leak that was ultimately proven false suggested his FS might be Linada (hilariously misspelled as Linda :awesome: )

>Pokes fun at a misspelling of Landia.
>Anagrams it a near identical way.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I was joking about Ridley...

There not bandana Dee trophy. NOT IN 3DS OR WII U. He completely absent in both Smash games.

"So take off your pants and Go wild"- Bordelands pre -sequel messenger 2014

Top Bottom