• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balancing Characters from SSB to SSBB

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
This Thread is for discussion of how the characters have been balanced in brawl in comparison to how they have been balanced in the past. I personally see a lot of potential for having incredibly diverse tournaments, though I cannot say for sure. I play SSB casually so my tourney info is not on par with many of the other SWF members, but when I played there was always either a Marth, Shiek, or Fox etc... What do the SWF members think about how well Nintendo made the each game of the SSB series to allow for players to have the choice to be able to play with a character because it is fun and not because that character happens to be really good in the game.

Thanks for your replies.

Disclaimer: I am new to the Forum and while I am concerned about the topic, I alao just wanted to start my own thread for the first time. Also I apologize for redundancy because I am sure that there is another thread dealing with the same topic somewhere on the site, but this will give me a chance to keep up with all the posts and not just have to read a hundred posts just to make sure I am not saying things that have already been said multiple times. Also I have not yet read the how to make a good post thing but I will get around to it eventually.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
No fighting game has ever been balanced. Really, I have never played starcraft, (never will) but i heard it took 10 years worth of patches to make the game balanced.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you mean from Super Smash Bros to Brawl or Melee to Brawl.

The first discussion would be really interesting, the second one has sort of been done to death.

I'm not sure if brawl is really going to have "incredibly diverse tournaments." Sure the characters seem balanced at this early time in casual play. However, it is already becoming evident that there are going to be a handful of higher tier characters that are going to dominate tournament play with a fewer lowered tiers rebels, just like it was in melee.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
I agree on the more diverse tournaments part. Now I feel like the bigger slower characters will stand a chance due to the new physics engine. I think floatiness in the end will dominate though.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
As long as fighting games have characters with their own move sets, speed, range, size, and/or other attributes that set the characters apart... There will never be balance in games.

MartinGM1983

Smash Cadet
Texas; AIM StarCraft2OwnsMe - Only good players pl
No fighting game has ever been balanced. Really, I have never played starcraft, (never will) but i heard it took 10 years worth of patches to make the game balanced.
Haha, interesting idea... But I can tell you that although the game has undergone numerous patches, it was never a single race that held a sole advantage over any other; rather it was the player and the player's speed in comparison to his competition.

I've played StarCraft from it's release, and can say with out a doubt, no RTS game can even remotely compare to the level of depth and accessibility that SC offers. There are of course, gamers that still to this day prefer Vanilla to BW, but this again is stated in relative terms of competition and the player(s) skills/practice. In reference to Vanilla, I am referring to the original StarCraft, not Brood Wars.

Many of the patches that Blizzard released were directly related to obvious glitches that allowed certain races to hold ridiculous advantages. Early patches allowed 0 % drones; siege tanks allowed to remain in siege mode while surrounded by a barracks, essentially creating a ~1200 HP tank; drones with the ability to create hatcheries across the map without the evolution of transport; just to name a few.

I suggest you try StarCraft 2 and ground yourself with it. I guarantee you will never experience a better put together RTS game in the near future. Although I would love to see Halo Wars on the PC :urg:

Top Bottom