• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

balance updates in SSB4

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
As I see it, there's nothing wrong with balance. Casual players that just picked up the game won't notice it, moderately dedicated players like me will appreciate it, and competitive players will finally be able to enjoy the game for once. Balance patches are a great way to achieve perfect balance. They shouldn't just release the game and balance it after release. Patches should be for stuff they didn't notice or helping to integrate DLC characters, if such a thing happens. That said, they shouldn't spend an entire year fretting over a 51:49 matchup in Meta Knight's favor if such a thing happens.

And this all hinges on whether the devs even bother to balance it in the first place.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Seriously. Let's make it so if you're only kinda good everyone's on par, but when you start know the ins of how the game works everything falls apart.

What a lovely game that would be. You could enjoy it your own little bubble, like 'no-edge guarding' players do. But the minute you face someone who knows what's up (not hard with FAQs, this board, Miiverse, etc), you're screwed beyond belief because certain characters would be ******** broken.

They should totally design an online fighter without thinking about the internet. That way, the players who bubble themselves in won't know that the game is broken until they step out of their comfort zone. Meanwhile, everyone else can enjoy Metaknight dittos. Sounds like a formula for greatness.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
There's nothing general Nintendo fans hate more than playing against and potentially getting bodied by the same few characters. This trend will only grow if the developers turn a blind eye to the game's competitive balance.

Failing to address it again will undoubtedly result in the same issues. No reason to believe otherwise given all the history.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
There's nothing general Nintendo fans hate more than playing against and potentially getting bodied by the same few characters. This trend will only grow if the developers turn a blind eye to the game's competitive balance.

Failing to address it again will undoubtedly result in the same issues. No reason to believe otherwise given all the history.
It is indeed a godsend to have Namco on board.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I thought...I thought you were talking about Brawl Ganondorf there.
GRAAHH I'm confused! I give up!
I'm talking about Ganondorf being wanted as a main character that is chosen by players. You said that "some people" wouldn't want Ganondorf to be changed in brawl, and that is true. However, the majority of people would want Ganondorf to change completely and be provided with a new genuine moveset that would make him a decent character to play with.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I hope they nerf MK and Diddy a lot. No explanation needed for MK, and I want Diddy to only be able to have one of those stupid bananas out at a time instead of 2. Honestly, I get furious just seeing those 2 characters, but that's just me ranting.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about Ganondorf being wanted as a main character that is chosen by players. You said that "some people" wouldn't want Ganondorf to be changed in brawl, and that is true. However, the majority of people would want Ganondorf to change completely and be provided with a new genuine moveset that would make him a decent character to play with.
Does anybody have a spare "moment of realization" GIF lying around? Because that would apply very well to me at this moment.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I hope they nerf MK and Diddy a lot. No explanation needed for MK, and I want Diddy to only be able to have one of those stupid bananas out at a time instead of 2. Honestly, I get furious just seeing those 2 characters, but that's just me ranting.
In some cases, this is all you really need to fix in regards to balance. For example, the issue of planking can easily be fixed by limiting it to some fixed amount like Balanced Brawl did. Otherwise, Diddy always seemed like just a pretty solid character to me.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
In some cases, this is all you really need to fix in regards to balance. For example, the issue of planking can easily be fixed by limiting it to some fixed amount like Balanced Brawl did. Otherwise, Diddy always seemed like just a pretty solid character to me.

When it comes to planking, it's MK, Rob, a bit of Diddy, and even Pit that do the big deeds, MK more obviously, which is why we have that LGL, because of that MK at the one tourney long ago.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
When it comes to planking, it's MK, Rob, a bit of Diddy, and even Pit that do the big deeds, MK more obviously, which is why we have that LGL, because of that MK at the one tourney long ago.
Again, this is why built in mechanics that prevent this sort of thing from happening needs to be done. Oddly enough, there is a limit to tether grabs touching ledges before returning to land, but it was never implemented outside of it.

Top Bottom