• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baiting reflectors for CS kills

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
One technique I've been using to get KO's against reflector characters with a reasonable amount of success is actually baiting out reflectors. I haven't seen this discussed here, so I thought I'd bring it up, even though the concept itself is pretty basic so I don't claim to have come up with this.

Basically, it involves you taking advantage of the fact that a full charge shot beats Samus' missiles, even reflected missiles. If you notice your opponent is a bit reflector happy, and is reflecting or attempting to reflect missiles, this setup should work on them. It will rely on you firing off a few missiles at them first to get an idea of how they react, so you can then get a hard read on the CS kill shot.

Have a full charge shot ready to go, and fire out a homing missile or super missile. A homing missile is often times better, as it's slower and allows you to run up to them and feint like you are going in for an attack, making them more likely to reflect (although they may be paranoid about the charge shot and be reflecting stuff anyway, so no real need to feint an attack). However the super missile also works, just keep in mind you'll have less time to react after the reflect happens, and/or the opponent will actually have more time to see it coming. Once you have a read that they are going to pull the reflector out, fire off the charge shot. The shot will beat out the reflected missile, and if you time it properly, will hit the opponent during the end lag of their reflect move.

Different reflectors work in different ways obviously, so you need to adjust your timimg depending on the character.

- Fox, Pit and Dark Pit can hold their reflectors out for a longer period of time (the Pits in particular can hold down b for up to 90 frames - that's a full 1.5 seconds), although most players will drop the reflector after the missile, especially if you've been conditioning them. Delay it just slightly just to be sure if you have to, but you should be able to get a read on your opponent
- Falco's stays out longer and can actually still reflect when it's returning to him, so be careful not to mistime the CS. Hold onto it ever so slightly longer before letting it go
- Mario's and Doc's are very quick reflectors with not much end lag, so you need to time the CS so it arrives immediately after the missile does. If you are even slightly too late they will have time to shield after reflecting the missile
- Ness and Lucas if they decide to reflect your missile should be pretty easily timed, their fsmash has decent end lag on it. If they attempt to absorb, they'll likely be hit by the missile which may combo into the CS anyway
- Palutena's is kind of odd, I *think* it can only reflect one projectile per use and it has some cooldown before being able to be used again so you should be able to nail this timing
- Zelda's reflector has a deceiving length of active reflection frames on it, so be careful not to fire it off too early here
- Mewtwo is hard to nail down exactly, I don't know if the reflect property is active for the entire duration of the move or not. Seems to be somewhere between Mario and Zelda at any rate so use best judgement
- ROB...well...no ROB should ever be trying to reflect missiles back at you, but if you run into one that is silly enough to do it, you have an eternity the fire the CS
- Villager...unfortunately this strategy won't work against any decent Villager, unless you make a Zeus-like hard read on when they throw a pocketed missile back at you

As I said, I don't believe this to some kind of revolutionary secret technique, but I hope this helps at least some fellow Samus mains out.

Last edited:

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I like to do is 99% charge up. (They should make her Charge Shot work like Flare Blade, Eruption, and Giant Punch.) I get that 99% Charge Shot so I can create that extra mindgame to make them think I have nothing to fire. And if you hit the special button once, you instantly have a charge shot while creating the mind game of you firing it, making them worry. And this Charge Shot is near equal to the fully charged version. Another plus is that you wont get that sloppy end lag after finishing the CS.

They should make it to where you have to press B twice to fire the Charge shot no matter how full it is. We could continually keep baiting reflectors and play with their minds. Even if you're full, pressing B once would put you in a still state, continually charging. It would make tech chasing 5 times easier, too. This really needs to happen since Samus can't charge in the air, and loses her CS so easily.

Scream

Smash Apprentice
While i like the idea and have personally experimented with it, i find it to be very dangerous.
Misstime it once and a huge lead cloud vanish.

But if you are really sure that it'll hit, go for it.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
One technique I've been using to get KO's against reflector characters with a reasonable amount of success is actually baiting out reflectors. I haven't seen this discussed here, so I thought I'd bring it up, even though the concept itself is pretty basic so I don't claim to have come up with this.

Basically, it involves you taking advantage of the fact that a full charge shot beats Samus' missiles, even reflected missiles. If you notice your opponent is a bit reflector happy, and is reflecting or attempting to reflect missiles, this setup should work on them. It will rely on you firing off a few missiles at them first to get an idea of how they react, so you can then get a hard read on the CS kill shot.

Have a full charge shot ready to go, and fire out a homing missile or super missile. A homing missile is often times better, as it's slower and allows you to run up to them and feint like you are going in for an attack, making them more likely to reflect (although they may be paranoid about the charge shot and be reflecting stuff anyway, so no real need to feint an attack). However the super missile also works, just keep in mind you'll have less time to react after the reflect happens, and/or the opponent will actually have more time to see it coming. Once you have a read that they are going to pull the reflector out, fire off the charge shot. The shot will beat out the reflected missile, and if you time it properly, will hit the opponent during the end lag of their reflect move.

Different reflectors work in different ways obviously, so you need to adjust your timimg depending on the character.

- Fox, Pit and Dark Pit can hold their reflectors out for a longer period of time (the Pits in particular can hold down b for up to 90 frames - that's a full 1.5 seconds), although most players will drop the reflector after the missile, especially if you've been conditioning them. Delay it just slightly just to be sure if you have to, but you should be able to get a read on your opponent
- Falco's stays out longer and can actually still reflect when it's returning to him, so be careful not to mistime the CS. Hold onto it ever so slightly longer before letting it go
- Mario's and Doc's are very quick reflectors with not much end lag, so you need to time the CS so it arrives immediately after the missile does. If you are even slightly too late they will have time to shield after reflecting the missile
- Ness and Lucas if they decide to reflect your missile should be pretty easily timed, their fsmash has decent end lag on it. If they attempt to absorb, they'll likely be hit by the missile which may combo into the CS anyway
- Palutena's is kind of odd, I *think* it can only reflect one projectile per use and it has some cooldown before being able to be used again so you should be able to nail this timing
- Zelda's reflector has a deceiving length of active reflection frames on it, so be careful not to fire it off too early here
- Mewtwo is hard to nail down exactly, I don't know if the reflect property is active for the entire duration of the move or not. Seems to be somewhere between Mario and Zelda at any rate so use best judgement
- ROB...well...no ROB should ever be trying to reflect missiles back at you, but if you run into one that is silly enough to do it, you have an eternity the fire the CS
- Villager...unfortunately this strategy won't work against any decent Villager, unless you make a Zeus-like hard read on when they throw a pocketed missile back at you

As I said, I don't believe this to some kind of revolutionary secret technique, but I hope this helps at least some fellow Samus mains out.
For villager, just don't shoot CS at him unless it is guaranteed or he is already holding a homing missile or bomb. Basically, try to bait them pocketing the missile, then you are free to shoot CS in neutral and not worry about it being pocketed Good villagers generally will only pocket super missiles and CS though. At full range you can punish pocketing a SM with a CS. However, if you don't kill, villager has a very strong SM they can fire at you.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
For villager, just don't shoot CS at him unless it is guaranteed or he is already holding a homing missile or bomb. Basically, try to bait them pocketing the missile, then you are free to shoot CS in neutral and not worry about it being pocketed Good villagers generally will only pocket super missiles and CS though. At full range you can punish pocketing a SM with a CS. However, if you don't kill, villager has a very strong SM they can fire at you.
i agree 100% though even good villagers can be suckered into eating a homing missile. in fact homing missile works really well against the twerp because its the only projectile besides an exploding bomb that will completely negate and destroy the Lliod 100% of the time.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
I'm sure you all already know this but don't, for the love of God, don't shield a reflected CS. Instant shield break no matter how big your shield is. Had that happen to me a couple of times already... You're first reaction should be to jump.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure you all already know this but don't, for the love of God, don't shield a reflected CS. Instant shield break no matter how big your shield is. Had that happen to me a couple of times already... You're first reaction should be to jump.
Not true, unless you have horrible shield timing or its been poked already, exception is villager

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
As Tonetta Tonetta said Villager is the only one that can break a full shield with a pocketed full charge shot (he gets an insane 1.9x damage multiplier off pocketed projectiles). You also need to be very careful with Villager because he can pocket a CS even after it's gone past him (such a dumb move).

For everyone else, a reflected full charge shot does not break a shield at 100% (all other reflectors get a maximum of 1.5x damage multiplier). If it's been broken by a reflected CS it's because a) it's already been hit, or b) it's been reduced by you holding it prior.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
As Tonetta Tonetta said Villager is the only one that can break a full shield with a pocketed full charge shot (he gets an insane 1.9x damage multiplier off pocketed projectiles). You also need to be very careful with Villager because he can pocket a CS even after it's gone past him (such a dumb move).

For everyone else, a reflected full charge shot does not break a shield at 100% (all other reflectors get a maximum of 1.5x damage multiplier). If it's been broken by a reflected CS it's because a) it's already been hit, or b) it's been reduced by you holding it prior.
The 1.5x reflectors will break your shield if they haven't hit you with any other reflected moves. 25 x Reflect (1.5) x Freshness (1.05) + 3 bonus shield damage = 42.35 = shield break. This is a good reason to intentionally eat a reflected homing missile occasionally.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Something else I've noticed with Lucas (probably Ness as well), you need to be careful if they charge their forward smash before reflecting a super missile. Normally a full charge shot beats out a reflected super missile but if they charge their fsmash to reflect the super missile back at you, that actually makes it powerful enough to clank with your full CS.

Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Ness' and Lucas' bat/stick
I just shoot the homing missile at them if their campy and trying to reflect with the bat/stick. Yeah its a terrible move but it's so bad it's useful here in this instance. A reflected homing missile will never beat a CS EVER. Add that to the wonky speed it has and it's pretty safe to use against reflect happy players. Most of the time lucas/ness will end up eating it because they're expecting SM speed and that's free damage that you can follow up with. It may be a terrible projectile but it's a terrible projectile you can force someone to reflect, they get no benefit from reflecting it just like we usually get no benefit from using it.

Isn't that weird to think about? We can force them to use an inferior projectile that will not cover the end lag from using it given that CS will eat straight through and hit the target. (as long as you're spaced just right incase they try to wind up to bat again, which isn't that hard given you can follow the missile a bit before it hits the bat) When I see a Ness (or Lucas) setting themselves up to reflect my projectiles I think to myself, "Oh ok, you want to throw my attacks back at me? Good luck with this thing! Its total crap!"

Plus its good to mix it up with your SM's, keep your opponent guessing on the speed of your projectiles, you are literally pitching to them so why give them the easy fastball? For Ness/Lucas I use a missile ratio of 75% HM and 25% SM, using SM to catch landings and if they spam psi magnet more than reflect. For villager its almost exclusively HM. These are the only two instances where I can feel confident in saying HM is useful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom