• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bait Options for Peach?

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
What are the best ways to bait with Peach? Are there any of her moves that you can cancel with another attack?

I would like to start learning how to effectively bait and would be very thankful if I could have some pointers/tips

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Personally, I find Floating an effective tool to bait people. I like to approach and quickly move back with Float usually with a Turnip in hand. When I see the opponent jump to hit with an aerial I drop down and shield and punish with Turnips OoS.

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Personally, I find Floating an effective tool to bait people. I like to approach and quickly move back with Float usually with a Turnip in hand. When I see the opponent jump to hit with an aerial I drop down and shield and punish with Turnips OoS.
As @ Airgemini Airgemini has said, these are both good options. One of my favorite ways is to QFR, or, if you can't do a QFR, to just ground float, and fast fall out of your float. Mix this up with dashes and a short hop float into fast fall. By running around and mixing up these movement options, you can usually bait your opponent. Additionally, you can throw in some FC nairs, or just do FC nairs in general, because if they chose to run into you the FC nair will hit them. When baiting, it is good to have a turnip in hand as it is a long-range tool you can use to punish your opponent's options. Also, as a bait, you can dash away from your opponent then immediately short hop bair and fast fall. Basically, if you utilize peach's spacing tools, you can successfully bait your opponent. Hope I helped!

Zillo

Smash Rookie
NNID
zillo25
As @ Airgemini Airgemini has said, these are both good options. One of my favorite ways is to QFR, or, if you can't do a QFR, to just ground float, and fast fall out of your float. Mix this up with dashes and a short hop float into fast fall. By running around and mixing up these movement options, you can usually bait your opponent. Additionally, you can throw in some FC nairs, or just do FC nairs in general, because if they chose to run into you the FC nair will hit them. When baiting, it is good to have a turnip in hand as it is a long-range tool you can use to punish your opponent's options. Also, as a bait, you can dash away from your opponent then immediately short hop bair and fast fall. Basically, if you utilize peach's spacing tools, you can successfully bait your opponent. Hope I helped!
How do I FC Nair? and do it each time I need it? i use gamepad also. Thnx. I'm a peach main also so I totally need this. @ gagelax gagelax

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
outside of float shenanigans, usmash has deceptively low endlag so you can throw that out a bit if they are bad and fall for it lol. sometimes good players will fall for it too.

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
I like to run away and then Peach Bomber towards opponents, especially with a turnip in hand, and if they shield the Peach Bomber, I instantly throw the turnip at them and go for a dash grab.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
I like to run away and then Peach Bomber towards opponents, especially with a turnip in hand, and if they shield the Peach Bomber, I instantly throw the turnip at them and go for a dash grab.
Haha I like doing that too... gotta be careful though, it's easy to misspace it like that and get punished... or if you do it too much and the opponent starts spot dodging it.

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
Haha I like doing that too... gotta be careful though, it's easy to misspace it like that and get punished... or if you do it too much and the opponent starts spot dodging it.
Yeah, I usually never just do it randomly in neutral. I like to do it mostly when someone jumps in at me, or is just falling towards me in general.

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
No one answered my question. lol. i've done a FC Nair a few times b4. but still.
Press (and hold) jump.
Press down immediately afterwards.
Release down as quickly as you can.
Press A.
Release jump. You want to cancel it immediately after the hitboxes are gone so you will suffer as least lag as possible.

If you can't do it well/fast enough, it means you need more practice.

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Press (and hold) jump.
Pressure A.
Release jump. You want to cancel it immediately after the hitboxes are gone so you will suffer as least lag as possible.

To simplify this, ground float, nair, then let go of jump. A common problem peach players have when they start doing FCNair is that they will accidentally do dair. This means that you're still holding down too long after you input it to float. To solve this, reset the stick to neutral immediately after floating.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Yeah, I usually never just do it randomly in neutral. I like to do it mostly when someone jumps in at me, or is just falling towards me in general.
True. I try not to randomly toss it out in neutral too much, but.... meh, habits lol. Two of my favorite uses for it are as a u-turn strike against someone chasing me, or to catch the end of a roll.

Press (and hold) jump.
Press A.

Does her nair have different amounts of landing lag depending on at what moment you land?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Does her nair have different amounts of landing lag depending on at what moment you land?
Nair strong hitbox comes out on 5-8, the weak one stays out from 9-19. It doesn't autocancel until after frame 36. If you cancel it too late (say on frame 25) you will suffer from Nair's lag on frame 20-25 AND 11 frames of landing lag. If you cancel if on frame 19 however, you will only suffer from 11 frames of landing lag. Most people don't really care about hitting with the weak hitbox though, so they aim to cancel Nair during the frame 9-19 when the weak hitbox is out, so they will only suffer from 11 frames of landing lag.

There are times where you want Nair to stay out as long as possible though. Even though the weak hitbox is unsafer (it deals less shieldstun and pushback), it can cover you very well. Especially at times when you dash towards your opponents and do a ground float Nair, the strong hitbox sometimes doesn't have enough range and whiff. However, since you usually move towards your opponents when you do a dashing Nair, you will be in their range during the later part of Nair, which is when the weak hitbox is out. If you would have canceled if it before the weak hitbox came out, you would have simply whiffed in front of your opponent and not hit with anything at all. Timing your Nair is an essential skill, you want to time it dependent on whether you want to hit with the weak hitbox and abuse Nair's long duration or just hit with the strong hitbox. In any case, be sure to cancel if before frame 19 (unless your move back or something), otherwise you will suffer from both Nair's lag as well as landing lag.

Zillo

Smash Rookie
NNID
zillo25
Press (and hold) jump.
Press A.

Thnx. :)

Zillo

Smash Rookie
NNID
zillo25
To simplify this, ground float, nair, then let go of jump. A common problem peach players have when they start doing FCNair is that they will accidentally do dair. This means that you're still holding down too long after you input it to float. To solve this, reset the stick to neutral immediately after floating.
Thnx @ gagelax gagelax

ilysm

sleepy
Peach has a lot of great movement options to bait out attacks! It's part of why I like her so much. A quick list:
  • Standard float (vary your heights)
  • QFR (mix in occasional aerials if you like)
  • JCFF (Peach mains ought to use this more it's so good, especially when you vary your heights and mix in divebomb aerials)
  • Dance trotting
  • Short-hop air-dodge into float (mix in QFRs, JCFFs, and float/float-cancelled aerials)
  • Autocancel fair (do it immediately as you leave the ground, you'll land with no lag--very good against tall opponents or people who think they can run in punish it. Usually a good idea to fade back slightly)
  • Floating fair/Floating dair/floating bair, fade back a touch, then follow up with a floating nair when they try and punish you (float bair facing your opponent can also be used as a surprise microspacing option to evade attacks, since it pulls your hitbox away from them)
  • JCFF fair platform cancel (also very good and very underutilized, kudos to EOE)
  • Turnip toss on shield, JCFF catch, dance trot away (only works depending on character and out-of-shield options, typically used to bait out predictable OOS options and punish--if they keep shielding then JCFF, don't catch the turnip, and grab them, or turnip toss -> side b. Endless possibilities!!)
  • Peach Bomber on shield (this move is stupidly safe on shield, but it really looks like it shouldn't be, so you have enough advantage to float afterwards and get an aerial in then they try and punish their attempted punish. It gets wrecked by spot-dodge though so be careful)
  • Just mixing in JCFFS and QFRs and floats with a turnip in hand is a mixup, since you could do an aerial or toss the turnip, so this can be a good way to condition an opponent and bait out one defensive option
  • Probably a lot more I forgot to mention
This was supposed to be a small list. Whoops. Peach is so fun. Hope this helped! ^_^

Last edited:

CaptainYesz

Smash Rookie
Float cancel tomahawk grab. You can make this REALLY fast by canceling your UPWARD momentum before you hit your apex with a float.

Jump
Float before apex, I press down on stick
Let go of jump button right when I'm making the down motion
=
Result: Peach goes up and down REALLY quick. This does require some finesse, if there's no fast fall, this is relatively slow.

This makes for some REALLY nice tricks if you can condition people by stuffing them with dairs. Tomahawk grabs are amazing here since against good opponents I'm not getting as many grabs as I like.

What makes this "REALLY" nice as I stated is, when you practice this, you practice it straight up and down. But when you can do this diagonally, you are essentially moving at the same velocity as the dash/float speed and they have to shield to respect your float option but you're continuing to move forward and grabbing them before they can react to this new option you haven't shown them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom