• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Bowser Matchups

Adunnie1

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Bowser and he is a whole lot of fun. Are there any specific matchups that I should be worried about as a possible Bowser main?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I imagine you'd get better responses in the Bowser character forum. Only thing I can say is that he gets zoned pretty easily.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I eat Bowsers alive with both Lucina and Palutena.

Last edited:

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
I saw a person online at a place demolish Bowser with Pichu, but who knows.

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Bowser's worst matchup are mostly characters that can juggle and combo him easily and zone him out like :ultmario:,:ultpichu:,:ultvillager:,:ultluigi:,:ultlucina:,:ultrichter:.

Oukami

Smash Rookie
how do we deal with projectile heavy toon/young links?
is it a bad match up or just me?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
how do we deal with projectile heavy toon/young links?
is it a bad match up or just me?
The main way to deal with zoners is to stay on top of them at all times. Don't give them the space they need to start with their projectiles. Zoners more or less force you to play aggressively. As an option of approach, Bowser's aerials are strong enough to destroy most projectiles if they clash. Nair is a particularly useful move on Bowser because it has so many hits.

Prof.X

Smash Rookie
Any body with good combos can be a problem one of my friends that plays Bowser tends to have trouble against my Palutena and Robin

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
G&W main here. The match up is really tricky and seems to totally be contingent on momentum. We have great disjoints and juggles with uair, Bair, and nair (great at poking through platforms on BF). Basically we strive to juggle the hell out of you and keep your approach limited by aiming Chef forward or up. Plus we can soak up fire with oil panic and throw it right back. Our main issue though is definitely KO power. If we can chain dsmash > fsmash we can get you, but other than that our only other KO moves are ftilt and dtilt. We must respect Bowser's KO power though, especially given our weight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We beat you still, Bowser don't like Bananas, we do. Also we got an infinity on you guys lol

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Always keep in mind your own playstyle, an agro Bowser that keeps throwing side-B just out of range gets bodied by anybody

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
Fast characters. Since Bowser is a slow moving character anyone like Luigi or Pichu who can easily juggle/combo and move fast is going to be a problem.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait really ? An infinite ? Oh man :( ... Well, guess I'll have to train to avoid that.
Yeah it's character specific, it starts with Diddy throwing the Banana out of the Down B animation and when used the right way, it'll trip Bowser immediately and will lead to an easy follow up with the same Banana, and the Diddy can repeat this untill you reach KO % and follow up with F or D Smash.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Palutena feels like the worst or up there....Was in a discord tournament today where my first opponent was a palutena main and it was clear as soon as the match started that i stood no chance

that match up is heavily in Palu's favor

Arrei

Smash Lord
Wanted to ask how y'all felt about the Dedede matchup... or specifically, the Gordo matchup. Spent a good while being beaten up by a good Dedede tonight trying to figure out what the big man can do against those things, but if Bowser has a good tool for repelling them, I'm sure unable to find it. Seems almost like Bowser's moves are tailor-made to be bad against those, with how little distance his hitboxes cover from his enormous hurtbox, but spending time evading them instead of swatting them back gives Dedede too much free room to breathe... and the Bowz is too fat to evade them well anyway. Have you guys had any luck?

- Nair's hitbox is practically inside of Bowser, making it trade with the Gordo most of the time. I noticed it had some success when I managed to clip the Gordo with Bowser's feet, but ultimately too unreliable.
- Fair also seems to end up trading often since Bowser shifts his face forward as he attacks. Is it just a matter of throwing it out a little earlier so it doesn't catch him in the nose?
- Jab doesn't shift Bowser forward, but because Bowser is so huge, you're liable to get bopped by the Gordo's bouncing trajectory.
- I didn't have the presence of mind to try Ftilt or Dtilt. Ftilt could be the answer, since it can be angled and lasts a few frames?

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Wanted to ask how y'all felt about the Dedede matchup... or specifically, the Gordo matchup. Spent a good while being beaten up by a good Dedede tonight trying to figure out what the big man can do against those things, but if Bowser has a good tool for repelling them, I'm sure unable to find it. Seems almost like Bowser's moves are tailor-made to be bad against those, with how little distance his hitboxes cover from his enormous hurtbox, but spending time evading them instead of swatting them back gives Dedede too much free room to breathe... and the Bowz is too fat to evade them well anyway. Have you guys had any luck?

- Nair's hitbox is practically inside of Bowser, making it trade with the Gordo most of the time. I noticed it had some success when I managed to clip the Gordo with Bowser's feet, but ultimately too unreliable.
- Fair also seems to end up trading often since Bowser shifts his face forward as he attacks. Is it just a matter of throwing it out a little earlier so it doesn't catch him in the nose?
- Jab doesn't shift Bowser forward, but because Bowser is so huge, you're liable to get bopped by the Gordo's bouncing trajectory.
- I didn't have the presence of mind to try Ftilt or Dtilt. Ftilt could be the answer, since it can be angled and lasts a few frames?
Did you try Back-air ?

Arrei

Smash Lord
A few times, but that also seemed to have poor results. It didn't seem like trying to approach Dedede with my back turned was too great an idea, especially with Bair's linear hitbox not being very ideal for catching Dedede when he's trying to float in the air out of my reach and drop Gordos from above.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
How do you figure that? Bowser's main weakness is combo-ability, which isn't what heavies excel at. I dare say Bowser's better at it than any of them are.
Bowser's main strength when I play as him is hard hitting. Those characters could definitely match that.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Bowser could also be beaten by Sonic. Bowser is much, much slower than Sonic. 3 Stocks, Sonic, Bowser and the Great Cave offensive equals a long match.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Bowser (one of my secondaries) could have Hero as a bad matchup. Btw, anyone know if the Hero can be Bowsercided? I would like to know...

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Bowser (one of my secondaries) could have Hero as a bad matchup. Btw, anyone know if the Hero can be Bowsercided? I would like to know...
No, he can't be Bowsercided. However I don't the Hero is really a bad matchup. He's easy to edgeguard and not really heavy so he can die easily. If you play on BF you can Dodge his spells, so yeah. However, his aerials can be anoying and you can in a disadvantage when you're offstage, more compared to the others because : he can heal himself, blew him up, create a huge Mana ball, spike you or thunder you. So, in my opinion, the best strategy is to leave the ledge, jump and fair or Side-B.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Can he really, though? The down special is so impractical and unreliable that I treat him as a character with three special moves, like Ganondorf.
This move is really well used against the ones I play with, I can tell you that this move is one of the strongest tool in his toolset. People use it to buffer them, accelerate, or to kill their opponents.

Janx

Banned via Warnings
Bowser is one of Ultimate's most situational high-tiers. If you come across a bad mu, i suggest grinding it out on Anther's Ladder or picking up a secondary. worst matchups are rob, yl, link, pac man and bayo

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
This is an old thread and I regret my own previous posts in it.

If the OP is still reading this, go to the Bowser Discord if you want any semblance of accurate information about the guy.

Top Bottom