• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Avoiding foxes grabs as puff??

Ostrichsauce

Smash Rookie
Hi! I played a fox in tourney today, and about 90% of the overall damage he did to me was from grab/up-air (not exaggerating). He dash danced while I was in the air, playing very patient, and every other time I landed he grabbed me. I tried bating out the grabs but it still didn't work. I smash DI'd about half of his up-airs but I was still getting waxed. All the games we played went down to 1 stock but it was a pain in the ***, what do I do against a camping dash dancing fox?

Thanks! (PS. The only thing that was working for me was playing extremely campy and getting the fox to come to me)

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say you should camp him exactly unless you have a lead because Fox is better at camping than Puff. Mixup your landings. Waveland sometimes, immediately shield sometimes, throw out very low bairs, throw out an f smash or an up smash if you can read his approaches, try edge cancelling your landings if possible, mix up your attempts to land on stage/platforms/edge, etc. If he's grabbing you half the time you land, you're landing too predictably.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I feel like you're probably l-cancelling an aerial as you land, which is bad. Don't do it, unless the aerial is Nair. Other aerials put you in way too much lag against fox, even when L-cancelled.

aDavid4

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-1358-2819
Mixing up landings is one of the most important things in the match-up. Next time you play a friendly vs. Fox, notice what you're doing when you land, and always try to mix it up. Things you can do include:
  • Going for the ledge
  • Tomahawk grabbing
  • Landing w/ an aerial (Preferably N-air, see GenNyan's post)
  • Shield and roll around
While he's dash-dancing, you're in a tough spot. Space out some auto-canceled B-airs and do a little dash-dancing yourself. To dodge lasers, duck and wave-dash or get on a platform and throw out some hitboxes up there.

Top Bottom