• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

avoiding/escaping upB counters

oddgloat

Smash Cadet
When approaching a samus with falco I tend to get caught with her upB more than I'd like. I sometimes space just short of her with an empty hop after lazer approaching or with a backward waveland to get her to miss so i can counter, but other than that, if I try to approach as I would other characters I get caught in the upB. Any advice on approaching a samus to minimize getting caught? 2 other related questions: 1. when pillaring to eat her shield, can samus upB out of a perfect pillar? 2. smash DI'ing out of the upB: how is this executed effectively?

technomancer

Smash Champion
1. Yeap
2. Smash DI repeatedly to one side, just smash the stick in a direction, holding the C-stick in that direction helps too. Prepare to tech after you do so.

Samus is gayzers against Falco, a good counter to CC-upb and up-B out of shield is occasionally rolling when as soon as you hit the ground. Also empty shorthop to jabs/grabs work well for punishing the shielding.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
ummm well,
it sounds to me like your approaching...
have you ever tried standing in one place shl,ing, untill he comez to you and then just use another shl to cover your approach and try to use the stun of the lazor to blam him....

im not sure if shieldgrabbing works on samus up b, but have yuou tried that?

umm run in wavedash back...

not too sure, ive never fought a samus like this... just mindgame it up a little i guess.
but if you can get him to miss that first part of the upb he will be open to a blaming from below... so try to get him to miss so you can uptilt into a combo...
(i really should play more samus,s)

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
up-b samus eh...

Alright, so the Up-B doesn't have a great Horizontal start-up (as you may know)
This means spacing. YAYYYY but den that can also lead to other problems. I personally like playing samus' game of distance (if he's also the distance samus). Reflect projectiles right back at him and den start an approach. Otherwise keeping lasering him, pecking away that shield, and when you caught him with the lasers, that's your cue.

Watch how he plays other than Up-B y'know, and if you do get hit by one it, try and DI.

oddgloat

Smash Cadet
2. Smash DI repeatedly to one side, just smash the stick in a direction, holding the C-stick in that direction helps too. Prepare to tech after you do so.
Knowing that it's possible to escape is huge in and of itself. So smash DI on the control stick as many times and as fast as you can to one side, while holding the C-stick to the same side. Correct?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
a ridiculous counter to up B is to shield -> up B yourself after samus up Bs. completely and utterly stupid but its funny and almost guaranteed xD

but seriously, if you want to pillar, space yourself so you're pillaring the outside bit of the shield and not touching her. problem with this is samus might WD back -> dsmash if they anticipate this spacing, well at least thats what HugS and other samus players do to me so ionno. the ultimate solution is just to laser camp, but who likes doing that >_> oh and if you get hit by up B, just press / hold away or down as soon as possible.

Big_R

Smash Champion
you can do a quick aerial before you hit the ground a lot of the time when you get hit by the up b. it can be better than letting yourself get tech chased and stuff. you could also just...never pillar samus' shield. Or sh anything into it. dash dance/ laser rshl to try and get them out of it and grab if they don't.

Top Bottom