• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Autocanceled Bair

Y-L

Smash Champion
How many of you guys can do this? What I'm talking about is a rising bair from a SH such that it hits medium to shorter opponents while they are on the ground. I've been trying to work on it because the usage of it would be enormously helpful. It's really fast and strong, could kill, could be a decent OoS option, and QD->Reverse autocanceled bair would do work. It's really difficult to do on medium to shorter opponents though, as it will go over their head if you don't throw the attack out within a few frames of jumping, and waiting for the second opportunity to hit (falling) takes awhile which can be punished. My question is, do you guys use it? What control configuration do you use? I'm using y->to c stick which is a huge leap to pull off the action in a few frames, but I don't want the momentum from using the control stick and while using A I usually input it too early. I'm hoping @ metroid1117 metroid1117 has some insight on this.

Edit: I know this isn't possible against many characters. However I can confirm it does work against Fox, Falco, G&W, Tink, Climbers, Sonic, and Wolf when he's not using the crouching standing animation, to name a few smallers characters it works on. It's just pretty hard. And for a lot of them you can't hit at the hilt if they're really short like that.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
If you want to o instant aerials the best option would be to short hop with tap jump instead of using a button so you can have your thumb ready on the c stick. You do this by flicking the control stick with your thumb, as if you want to touch it just barely for a second, just like how you short hop with a button. Its the same concept to easily pull of Fox's SHDL.

Last edited:

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
SH insta b-air is good for the "get off me" moments. I don't like how I'm sorta forced into QD to follow up... However, I do like the QD reversed version for the kill attempt. I'll experiment with this tomorrow and talk about it more after playing some.

edit: after experimenting, its not that amazing. Even if you do it quick enough to wavedash out of, the difference between that and an L-canceled one is minimal. You can still get shield grabbed if you miss the spacing and you will probably do that same follow ups on it. I actually had more success when doing the SH insta b-air DJ D-air and triple b-airing.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
My question is, do you guys use it? What control configuration do you use? I'm using y->to c stick which is a huge leap to pull off the action in a few frames, but I don't want the momentum from using the control stick and while using A I usually input it too early. I'm hoping @ metroid1117 metroid1117 has some insight on this.
Personally, I use A for this, but like you pointed out, I've found that most characters are too short to be reliably hit by auto-cancel BAir.

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I mainly use SH Bair for getting good reads on a character's approach, like @ Y-L Y-L mentioned, its much harder to land on shorter characters, so with them I don't really use it but simply Nair instead. When I do SH Bair I use A and the X button to short hop. I'm not sure if my info's reliable but hey, it works mot of the time. Another tactic I've thought about trying as a trick up would be QD->pass up my opponent->Bair without reversing, but its a really risky move

Y-L

Smash Champion
Honestly, I mainly use SH Bair for getting good reads on a character's approach, like @ Y-L Y-L mentioned, its much harder to land on shorter characters, so with them I don't really use it but simply Nair instead. When I do SH Bair I use A and the X button to short hop. I'm not sure if my info's reliable but hey, it works mot of the time. Another tactic I've thought about trying as a trick up would be QD->pass up my opponent->Bair without reversing, but its a really risky move
It works sometimes but again its really risky because you have to go through them so I don't use it personally much. If they're recovering from high up sometimes you can time it so that that kind of bair works.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing Bair OoS with a claw technique SH (with Y) C-stick

Top Bottom