• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auto Cancels and Movement

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Auto cancelling aerials has certain properties dependent on timing. I'll be exploring those properties so that you can use them to your advantage in the neutral.

If you try auto cancelling aerials in all of the different windows, you might notice that if you hold the stick in the direction you want to drift, when you land, you'll begin to either walk or run in the direction you hold. This is dependent on a few factors which I will list out.

Auto cancel walk:
After an aerial has ended and hits the auto cancel window, you will always walk. (Unless you run off a platform and do an aerial, you will always run in this case. Eg. Foxes bair after falling from a platform.) You can even fast fall and of you hold the stick slightly, you will still walk afterwords.

Auto cancel run:
If you land with certain aerials before they start, (all of foxes aerials except fair) you will auto cancel them, and if you hold you control stick you will run afterwords. However this is not always the case, if you load up a game as diddy kong and auto cancel his dair at the latest point before it comes out, you will walk if you continue to hold the stick. Given this information, we can conclude that the mechanics that cause a character to run or walk after an auto cancel are not based on before or after the move comes out, but rather the timing at which an aerial comes out relative to how close you are, (in timing) to hitting the ground.

At this point you are probably asking, who cares? Well, you can use this information as part of your moveset. In particular back air. Both retreating and approaching. You can use it, and then hold in the direction you want to walk. This will help you out space counter attacks and still be able to punish. Or just do whatever you please. You retain all your options out of a walk and can choose your next move from there. I think this is particularly useful with retreating bairs. It's also important to note that it's extremely difficult to fast fall and immediately walk after the landing, so I recommend perfect pivoting right after you fast fall.

Given the amount of space that bair covers, and how safe of an option it is, I think you can use retreating bairs as great retreating option. It's a good option to keep in the back of your mind and is particularly useful against tall characters and aerial based characters. I hope this was useful to at least some of you.

seoh

Smash Cadet
I never really considered all the movement options. I feel like the empty perfect pivot can lead to so many options because of how well it spaces and Fox has so many options out of it. I mean I can imagine a world when you PP into Ftilt and if they catch on you can just grab. And so much more. Seems pretty 20xx to me

Last edited:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I like retreating bairs a lot if I'm feeling pressured and need to create space. Even just doing them in the air with no chance of hitting makes people respect the option. Bair works REALLY well with the sliding pivot (SP) too and Fox has a huge SP, as well.

A-landing is basically an extension of this in a more "mixup/mindgame" type scenario. If you're in tumble and use an aerial in the starting AC frames before landing you can quickly run out (or anything). I do this a lot and it's good to catch people off-guard since there's no tech and "omg Fox is already in my face!". I use dair, which only has 4 AC frames, but uair and bair are much better since each have 8, if I'm not mistaken. I just like dair cause you can't tell what's happening lol

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Is the best way to practice auto-cancels to just lab them first and see what works best?

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Basically. Just finding the timing is the hardest part and then implementation comes with practice. Good thing is you can practice these things alone with computers so it's not hard.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Does buffering a walk or run after an aerial like this cancel the normal 2 or 4 frame landing lag? If it does then we can use an aerial to "L-cancel" a few frames of lag off if we aren't in another animation.

seoh

Smash Cadet
DKGrayson DKGrayson I have a whole set up what I call movement tech practice that is essentially summarized as moving around without any lag. I like having solid fundamentals, so I start with stupid easy things like pivoting and walking and work through AC aerials, pp, foxtrotting etc etc.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
DKGrayson DKGrayson I have a whole set up what I call movement tech practice that is essentially summarized as moving around without any lag. I like having solid fundamentals, so I start with stupid easy things like pivoting and walking and work through AC aerials, pp, foxtrotting etc etc.
So you'll spend time just navigating a stage with no lag, from the most basic movement building upwards?

Sounds good in fairness, would love to see a demo :) something to aim for.

Top Bottom