• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auto-Canceled N-air

GCSChris

Smash Rookie
Okay so yesterday I was pretty bored, so I decided to learn how to auto drop cancel n-air on a platform. Now that I've got it down pretty consistently, I was wondering how this can be applied in game. I know it's probably a bit abstract and not that viable of an option, but just some discussion about where this is viable is what I'm looking for.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCQz3Umed-U

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
It's technically called drop cancelled (DC) Nair since you are cancelling the drop. Auto cancel is when you land before or after the hitboxes on certain frames and you have normal landing lag. With the drop cancel you can still Lcancel the aerials. It's pretty easy to do with Bair too.

I find it fun to mess around with when you have an opponent trying to come at you from below and do a quick DC Nair because it comes out so fast, hits pretty well under the platform, has good priority and pops them up for a combo. If you catch them not DIing the first hit, it combos into just about anything. I've hit 4 or 5 in a row before, before the guy i was playing started DIing them lol.

GCSChris

Smash Rookie
It's technically called drop cancelled (DC) Nair since you are cancelling the drop. Auto cancel is when you land before or after the hitboxes on certain frames and you have normal landing lag. With the drop cancel you can still Lcancel the aerials. It's pretty easy to do with Bair too.

I find it fun to mess around with when you have an opponent trying to come at you from below and do a quick DC Nair because it comes out so fast, hits pretty well under the platform, has good priority and pops them up for a combo. If you catch them not DIing the first hit, it combos into just about anything. I've hit 4 or 5 in a row before, before the guy i was playing started DIing them lol.
You're right, my bad.

Yeah i would assume at low damage on faster fallers it would be pretty good low to rack damage as a mix up kinda thing. I've seen abate do it a lot in his combo video as a juggle on fast fallers. I'd assume that its best use.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know how to describe the situation but I'll try my best...
So if you find yourself on a platform with your opponent and you are in close proximity a lot of times it can turn into a spotdodge fest, its good to throw it in there.

Also, when tossing someone up to a platform a lot of times they will go into shield, you can jump and waveland in place and quickly do it. If it hits their shield you can usually grab out of it, if they let go of shield and get hit by the nair....well we all know thats a golden situation ;)

GCSChris

Smash Rookie
I got the chance to play for a while yesterday and I threw it in a few times. I jumped on to the platform with my opponent on it and did it, and it sheild poked, which opened up a combo and then death because he was Captain Falcon lol (the FF combos are real)

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I think its at its best against falcon tbh. Falcon sucks when you get in close and this is at its best when you are.

Dwreck

Smash Cadet
Is there a video or thread that explains how to do this?

I tried doing a couple searches and I don't really know wh6at i'-m looking for...

GCSChris

Smash Rookie
Is there a video or thread that explains how to do this?

I tried doing a couple searches and I don't really know wh6at i'-m looking for...
I don't believe so, but here's a very quick explanation:
You hit down on the control stick (in order to drop through the platform) and then immediately press air (to n-air). It's a pretty quick timing. You're canceling the drop with the N-air. The result should be like the video. Just try it for a while until you understand the timing.

Dwreck

Smash Cadet
How quick do I have to be? I've been trying this for 20 minutes or so and I haven't got it once yet. I'm not sure I can be much faster. Do you guys use the Z or A button to nair? I've been using A but I think Z would be faster I guess. The video is a few of my attempts

http://youtu.be/-Aq5LwJ8jdc

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
I typically refer to this as the "standing nair." It's actually very effective in a pressure situation if you're fast. I flick the control stick downward and try to hit A the moment the stick returns to neutral. Timing is tight but it feels good to nail it. It pops opponents up really effectively for Fairs, Dairs, Shoryukens, or if they're a low percent fastfaller, Uair strings. And it's fast, so it makes good shield pressure when you're consistent and is pretty safe given the low time to perform between the drop and the land lag; I estimate that someone good at it could manage up to three hits per second on sheild. It's also even safer if you manage to L cancel it (which I've never actually done successfully).

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
to l cancel it you basically need to hit a and your shoulder button of choice at basically the same time

Jekyll

Smash Ace
This only works if you hit something. Practice it next to an opponent. If you don't come into contact with something, then you'll always just fall through regardless of how fast you do it.

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
How quick do I have to be? I've been trying this for 20 minutes or so and I haven't got it once yet. I'm not sure I can be much faster. Do you guys use the Z or A button to nair? I've been using A but I think Z would be faster I guess. The video is a few of my attempts

http://youtu.be/-Aq5LwJ8jdc
This:

This only works if you hit something. Practice it next to an opponent. If you don't come into contact with something, then you'll always just fall through regardless of how fast you do it.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if this gets frame advantage on shield?

edit: So I did some research and found that a fresh nair has 8 frames of shield stun, while nair has 7 frames of lag (with L cancel), which means that drop cancel nair gives you a whopping 1 frame advantage on shield!

Last edited:
Top Bottom