• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auto Cancel Nair

Toe

Smash Apprentice
Im aware that there is auto cancel nairs but i just have trouble doing them, am i supposed to be pressing a earlier or later than usual? And if anyone could explain the differences between l canceled nairs and auto canceled nairs id really appreciate it! Oh and in game scenario stuff

Sail

Smash Cadet
For me I use my nair at the apex of my short hop then after fast-falling i get an auto cancel. Auto cancelled nairs reduce landing lag to normal landing lag as if you didn't use an attack and landed, so removes all attacked-based lag. L cancels half the lag from the nair, which is still very little lag. I guess use auto cancelled nairs in place of SHFFL'ed nairs when you have the time to wait for a split second before using it. I use it mostly in combos where the slightly less can matter and I also use it when baiting people when spaced far enough away like M/K does a lot.

Last edited:

Mr. Bean

Smash Apprentice
I personally cant think about it during a match. Maybe i suck and that's why? but L canceling seems better to me. Maybe someone who knows more about it can shed some light.

Sail

Smash Cadet
I personally cant think about it during a match. Maybe i suck and that's why? but L canceling seems better to me. Maybe someone who knows more about it can shed some light.
L-cancelling isn't better than auto cancelling lag-wise. I guess just drill it in training mode until you have it 110% and then just get a feel for it in matches lol. Or if you really feel like improving I've heard somewhere that it's good to focus on ONE thing every match and try to get it in the right situations as your only goal for that match. If you ever forget to use it think of it again as your only goal until you get it. Hope I helped :)

Last edited:

harMoNiC

Smash Rookie
The standard landing lag for Marth's nair is 15 frames; when it's L-Cancelled, the landing lag is 7 frames. An auto-cancelled aerial reduced landing lag to normal landing lag, which is 4 frames.

So an auto-cancelled nair is 3 frames faster than an L-Cancelled nair.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
So an auto-cancelled nair is 3 frames faster than an L-Cancelled nair.
Yeah, but you can land with the l-cancelled nair 3 frames earlier and still hit with the second hitbox, so auto-cancelled isn't really faster. Though you can move during the extra aerial frames, so you can sometimes space better with auto-cancelled nair.

harMoNiC

Smash Rookie
meh. 3 frames though?
3 frames can be the difference between a follow-up and no follow-up.

Is 4 frames significant? 6 frames? 10 frames?

Every frame counts, and if you can optimize 3 frames away with a relatively very easy tech, why not?

Yeah, but you can land with the l-cancelled nair 3 frames earlier and still hit with the second hitbox, so auto-cancelled isn't really faster. Though you can move during the extra aerial frames, so you can sometimes space better with auto-cancelled nair.
I agree. AC nair isn't strictly better at all. Even if it takes the same number of frames between the initial jump and end of landing lag that doesn't make them equivalent, like you said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom