• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura sphere

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Any thoughts on this..

The aura sphere is great right now, but with mewtwo and his shadow ball, I was thinking it would be a good idea to get rid of the aura spheres wiggle altogether to give it a different look. And furthermore, giving lucario the ability to shoot the aura sphere downward at an angle when he is in the air would give the aura sphere a great new twist.

I've thought about this idea for a while and I think it would be a great way to give the aura sphere more diversity from the shadow ball. I'm not sure if the PMBR have thought about doing this or not, but especially now that Mewtwo is in, this would be a great way to make the aura sphere work differently from the shadow ball.

What do you guys think, and if the PMBR is reading, is this an option at all?

Vanguard

Smash Cadet
It would not be an easy change to implement a different angle for a.nB. There is one variable that controls the angle for aerial and grounded, so it would take some wizardry to complete. As a personal note, thats something I'm into, but when I think about it from a 'what's best for PM' perspective, I think their are serious trade offs to consider with a change like that. Thanks for the comment though!

The wiggle is an advantage for Lucario. It makes reading it a bit more difficult, so one generally assumes it has a bigger area of threat than it actually does, and makes power shielding that little bit harder, which he benefits from because its slow. Removing the 'wiggle' seems to stem from a desire to differentiate from M2. I don't think this is really at issue. The two are often compared, but Lucas shares more similarities in his kit with M2 than even Lucario does. Further more, making the projectile path more linear is only an act of diversification when compared to M2, but compared to the cast, they're the outliers.

In all, I think we would need to carefully consider the payoff for changes like these, and it's impact on his game and existing mains/fans, before committing to the work required, which isn't small.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
It would not be an easy change to implement a different angle for a.nB. There is one variable that controls the angle for aerial and grounded, so it would take some wizardry to complete. As a personal note, thats something I'm into, but when I think about it from a 'what's best for PM' perspective, I think their are serious trade offs to consider with a change like that. Thanks for the comment though!

The wiggle is an advantage for Lucario. It makes reading it a bit more difficult, so one generally assumes it has a bigger area of threat than it actually does, and makes power shielding that little bit harder, which he benefits from because its slow. Removing the 'wiggle' seems to stem from a desire to differentiate from M2. I don't think this is really at issue. The two are often compared, but Lucas shares more similarities in his kit with M2 than even Lucario does. Further more, making the projectile path more linear is only an act of diversification when compared to M2, but compared to the cast, they're the outliers.

In all, I think we would need to carefully consider the payoff for changes like these, and it's impact on his game and existing mains/fans, before committing to the work required, which isn't small.

Thanks for the reply!

I see the issues. Its nice to know some thought might be put into it!
Another option to the areal angle would be you could choose to shoot it downward by pressing down on the joystick as you activate shooting the aura sphere, or if you don't press anything he shoots straight. I don't know if that's even doable though.

But there's already a ton of wizardry in P:M so I'm sure if you guys were to decide it was a good idea, it could be done :p

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I personally would prefer the linear one that brawl had..

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I personally would prefer the linear one that brawl had..
I feel like a lot of people agree with you.. But I think IF it were to be changed, it would just take some getting used to, and then it could be used for a whole new set of combos.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Noting that as it is currently designed, the primary purposes Aura Sphere is used for ranges from limited edgeguarding to improving Lucario's approach and pressuring approaching opponents, to the ohmygreatauntjemimaspancakes must-know Aura Sphere Cancel, and if you're the creative type the examples aren't the be-all-end-all. While changing to a more Brawl-like Aura Sphere (specifically longer charge time, faster projectile with no deviation at higher charges, longer range) would give Lucario some different options (such as a more powerful edgeguard option, ranged poke, safer tech-chase punish option, more ASC charge time), I would be willing to suspect that it might actually hurt Lucario's Project M design, primarily through loss of a powerful close range tool (try zoning with it or Aura Bomb, for example), and partially by deviating a bit far from the archetype of his design.

Not that I wouldn't like having the Brawl-esc AS, but PM's AS leaves lots of room for

Thanasiomedes

Smash Rookie
It seems like it would be an interesting twist if you could detonate it at anytime by pressing b or by using an aura charge.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Noting that as it is currently designed, the primary purposes Aura Sphere is used for ranges from limited edgeguarding to improving Lucario's approach and pressuring approaching opponents, to the ohmygreatauntjemimaspancakes must-know Aura Sphere Cancel, and if you're the creative type the examples aren't the be-all-end-all. While changing to a more Brawl-like Aura Sphere (specifically longer charge time, faster projectile with no deviation at higher charges, longer range) would give Lucario some different options (such as a more powerful edgeguard option, ranged poke, safer tech-chase punish option, more ASC charge time), I would be willing to suspect that it might actually hurt Lucario's Project M design, primarily through loss of a powerful close range tool (try zoning with it or Aura Bomb, for example), and partially by deviating a bit far from the archetype of his design.

Not that I wouldn't like having the Brawl-esc AS, but PM's AS leaves lots of room for

Your post confused me a bit, but one thing it made me wana mention is my idea in the context of approach techniques. If Lucario could shoot the aura sphere at an angle when he was in the air, it could be used to aim at someone on the ground. This could be a distraction tool where lucario could then use double team to approach the opponent at the same time as the aura sphere. This can also be great for aerial combos I think...
It would change the options you have with lucario, but it would give him a whole new set of options which i think would work nicely!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
It would not be an easy change to implement a different angle for a.nB. There is one variable that controls the angle for aerial and grounded, so it would take some wizardry to complete.

What are the PM devs if not wizards ;)
I personally don't want them to change it because I haven't totally figured out all the ways to use it in it's current state, so I feel I can't judge whether something else would be an improvement.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
i always wondered why the aerial spirit bomb doesnt get launched at a downwards angle like the actual spirit bomb, but then i realized you could gimp/edgeguard most of the roster with it at ridiculously low percents with minimal effort... that wouldnt be fair (even though edgeguarding in itself isnt fair, lol)

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I feel like a lot of people agree with you.. But I think IF it were to be changed, it would just take some getting used to, and then it could be used for a whole new set of combos.
Exactly. I feel as if using Fair aurasphere cancel could be used at mid-higher percents to just combo the Fair into the sphere instead of L/R cancelling the sphere for another option.

sonicfan7895

Smash Cadet
I think for what it is right now, the aura system is really damn good; however, I feel that there could be some improvements, and some of you may be biased towards these;
  • The Aura Bomb (B + A): For this, the Aura Bomb is a sometimes-useful tool that Lucario can dispense. However, the ball is super-slow and sometimes never makes its mark. So what I propose is a new attack, to make use of its name. The Aura Bomb could have Lucario condense a ball of Aura into a tiny ball and have it explode when thrown at an opponent, dealing around 25-30% and costing one aura charge.
  • A New Twist on an Old Aura System Mechanic: You know how in the original Brawl Lucario gets boosted the more damage he gains? I think that should only incorporate the new aura system; for instance, for every one aura charge, he gains a 25% power boost for all of his attacks (including his B-moves). So for two aura charges, he automatically increases his strength by 50%, making him more of a threat.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I think for what it is right now, the aura system is really damn good; however, I feel that there could be some improvements, and some of you may be biased towards these;
  • The Aura Bomb (B + A): For this, the Aura Bomb is a sometimes-useful tool that Lucario can dispense. However, the ball is super-slow and sometimes never makes its mark. So what I propose is a new attack, to make use of its name. The Aura Bomb could have Lucario condense a ball of Aura into a tiny ball and have it explode when thrown at an opponent, dealing around 25-30% and costing one aura charge.
  • A New Twist on an Old Aura System Mechanic: You know how in the original Brawl Lucario gets boosted the more damage he gains? I think that should only incorporate the new aura system; for instance, for every one aura charge, he gains a 25% power boost for all of his attacks (including his B-moves). So for two aura charges, he automatically increases his strength by 50%, making him more of a threat.
That might be a little OP. But since Lucario is combo oriented, this might be a good idea because Lucario is not exactly high tier at the moment. However, 50% power increase seems a little too much. Maybe 10% for first aura charge, and 25% for the 2nd one.

sonicfan7895

Smash Cadet
That definitely seems a little more feasible. I just feel that as it is right now, Lucario's Aura Bomb is way too slow and it rarely makes its mark. If condensed and thrown as a ball, it will make it faster and more likely to make its mark. And being that as of now it's kind of weak, it should get a little power boost. Besides, I love Lucario in battle. :)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Haven't been on this thread in a while.. but I had an idea I was wondering about.

Would it be possible to just replace the force palm article with another aura sphere article (editing the article to move diagonally), and then just create some kind of gfx and add hit boxes to the force palm?

The force palm really doesn't NEED an article, I don't really know why it has one. So if it had hit boxes and a gfx and the aura sphere could be copied and edited onto the force palm article, that would be perfect (in that there wouldn't be any crazy issues or difficulty with not having enough articles to work with).

I'm sure that doing this at all would still be subject to debate, but it would still be nice to know if this was possible.

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
i always wondered why the aerial spirit bomb doesnt get launched at a downwards angle like the actual spirit bomb, but then i realized you could gimp/edgeguard most of the roster with it at ridiculously low percents with minimal effort... that wouldnt be fair (even though edgeguarding in itself isnt fair, lol)
Ledge tech would kill that.

Top Bottom