• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Aug 29, 2015] Smash (Wii U) 1v1 tournament at Glass City Con 2015 (Toledo, Ohio)

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Glass City Con will host its annual Smash Bros. competition, with this year being the first for Smash Bros. for Wii U. Our highlight tournament will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29 on the gaming main event stage on the third floor of downtown Toledo's Seagate Convention Centre.

Glass City Con is an annual Japanese culture convention in Toledo, and tournament entries do not cost anything extra beyond a valid badge for the convention. The two other main stage tournaments will be the mystery game tournament (Saturday at 12:30 p.m.) and Mortal Kombat X (Sunday at 1 p.m.). The gaming area will also feature open play on consoles and an arcade setup courtesy of Galloping Ghost Arcade and K-Dogg's Arcade.

The Smash Bros. tournament will be held using standard 1v1 tournament rules - double elimination, 2 stock, no items, no customs, etc. The full ruleset will be posted on the convention's web page in the near future, but I imagine most everyone on this site will be familiar with them. We will have multiple console setups, along with Gamecube adapters for each one. Competitors are encouraged to bring their own controller, but Wii U Pro controllers and Gamecube controllers will be available courtesy of the gaming staff.

The current payout for the tournament is $100 to first place, $50 to second place and $25 to third place as long as there is a minimum eight player entry.

Depending on a number of factors such as time and resources, side tournaments in formats such as Melee and 2v2 may also be held.

For more information on the event, please visit www.glasscitycon.com, and feel free to message myself or like Glass City Con on Facebook for further details. We have a lot going on, including special guests and panels, so I hope to see everyone there!

Chromidorr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chromidorr
I'll definitely be showing up! I'm wondering however if you guys will allow/have DLC charatcers.

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
We will have to be on the lookout for any future announcements, but we intend to feature and allow all DLC characters that have been released up to this point. That is barring any instances where standard competitive rules ban certain characters, of course.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Acj1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Acj1000
3DS FC
2638-1469-7526
I hope I can go...

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
We hope you're able to come out this way.

We find through our events that Toledo actually has a solid Smash Bros. scene and there was some really impressive play at TAGFest this year on the WiiU version. We ran Melee at Glass City IV and someone ran through as a Pichu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGlNMbh2zI) This year for the convention we will be utilizing a stage setup similar to what we had at TAGFest. The entire third floor will be gaming and we'll have a number of hard-to-find classics set up for open play mixed in with the events.

The organizers of the convention actually make no money off the event - we pool the money back into the convention to keep it going and growing. So, I realize I might sound biased toward the event, but we're just a group of people who saw Toledo Japanese culture fans always had to travel for hours to go to events like this and wanted to do something about it. I head the gaming at the event, and since no tours or big gaming events even want to consider Toledo, I work year-round with contacts to give the area a full and unique gaming experience. Last year's convention had Galloping Ghost Arcade's Primal Rage II cabinet, and this year we're looking at events such as having the voice actors for Raven and Nina Williams play each other in Tekken.

We'd love to have a great turnout again this year as we're considering further expansion to offer one or two more annual events that focus heavily on game competition in the Toledo area. As always, anyone with questions or comments can feel free to let me know!

Chromidorr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chromidorr
What is the best time I should show you, you said it starts at 7 but is that the actual start of the tournament or the registration time? (I've never been to a tournament so I don't know how these things work -.-)

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there. Is there a smash community up in Toledo?

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Smash is fairly healthy in this area due to regular club events at The University of Toledo. Outside of that, we're making efforts to boost the community.

Thanks to everyone who joined us! We filled a 64-player bracket, had a quick "money match" and saw fantastic play!

Our next cash prize tournament will be Saturday, Dec. 5 - TAGFest at the Toledo Seagate Centre (http://glasscitycon.com/tagfest/index.html)

Last edited:

Syco

Smash Rookie
NNID
Watevr
Can you guys host more of these? I live in Toledo but keep missing them lol.

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Can you guys host more of these? I live in Toledo but keep missing them lol.
That's actually the goal, Syco. The next scheduled event we are running at the Seagate Centre will take place Saturday, Dec. 5. I'll have a post and more information in the next week or so.

Syco

Smash Rookie
NNID
Watevr
That's actually the goal, Syco. The next scheduled event we are running at the Seagate Centre will take place Saturday, Dec. 5. I'll have a post and more information in the next week or so.
I'll be there for sure. Marked it on my calendar!

Top Bottom