• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Aug 14, 2015] Benicia Library Summer Series (Benicia, CA)

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
This summer, the library will be hosting four tournaments with three games each (Sm4sh, PM, and Melee). Those players with the best overall results at the four tournaments in Melee and PM will win the series for that particular game. Smash 4 overall top 4 players will compete against each other in a 2/3 double elimination bracket.

These tournaments started out as a local program only intended for the library's players aged 12-20+. However, other players have voiced interest, so I'm expanding the format to include the surrounding area. Due to limited resources, I'm capping and limiting entry to ensure local players get a chance to play as intended.

Entry is completely free.
Payout is as follows, in the giftcard of your choice only. I'm considering increasing payout if more players attend:

Project M: (capped at 32 players per tournament)
1st $20

Melee: (capped at 32 players per tournament)
1st $20

Smash 4: (capped at 64 players per tournament)
1st: $80
2nd: $40
3rd: $20
4th: $10

What: Smash 4, Melee, and Project M

When: 7/9, 7/23, 8/6, 8/14
Sign-ups and casuals at 12:00.Tournament starts at 1:00.

Where:
Benicia Public Library

Who:
Must be 12 years of age or older (unless excepted)
Must be a resident of Solano, Contra Costa, Sonoma, or Napa counties, or be attending SCC, DVC, LMU, NVC etc. Proof of residency will be required (so players from the city or south bay please don't come).

How:
Project M rules:
see "Smashboards Project M Ruleset" with the following differences:
- 1 game, then 2/3 semis onward

Melee rules:
see Evo2k15 ruleset, with the following differences:

Smash 4 rules:
see Evo2k15 ruleset, with the following differences:
- Customs moves are banned
- Omega stages are allowed

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

54D13

Smash Rookie
I'm from Stinson Beach, would I be allowed in or not?(13)

nick64

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-7634-0775
@ 54D13 54D13 I'm one of the people helping to host this, and sorry, we don't want too many people for all of the games from too far, so you wouldn't be able to enter. Sorry, no exceptions.

54D13

Smash Rookie
@ 54D13 54D13 I'm one of the people helping to host this, and sorry, we don't want too many people for all of the games from too far, so you wouldn't be able to enter. Sorry, no exceptions.
That's quite alright, I think I understand. Was just hoping to be able to come here for my first event, but no worries. I'll try and find somewhere else :p

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
So I have a few questions. The event already started, but would I still be able to show up the other three days? Am I allowed to use a classic controller with wiimote? I live in walnut creek, but what kind of ID would I need? And is there not going to be any doubles?
Thanks-
TinDust

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
Hi, yes everyone can show up for any of the tournaments that they want to.

Classic controller with Wii remote is fine.

Just something with your name proving that you live in Walnut Creek, like credit card or ID.

Sorry, no doubles. We're running three tournaments concurrently in 4-5 hours, so that takes a lot of time.

Btw, the tournament went great. We went over for time, but the matches were intense. I'll update more later.

nick64

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-7634-0775
So I have a few questions. The event already started, but would I still be able to show up the other three days? Am I allowed to use a classic controller with wiimote? I live in walnut creek, but what kind of ID would I need? And is there not going to be any doubles?
Thanks-
TinDust
Alright so yes you can come for the other 3 tournaments, the thing is that the overall winner of PM and Melee will win $20 (or more depending on amount of entrants in the future), and for smash 4 the top 4 people with overall best results will compete in a final double elim bracket for 4 people, and placings will go with prize money and such. As for ID, I would say sure if you have an ID that shows you live in Walnut creek you can bring it, though if you have some other proof you live in walnut creek, then we would let you play (though I think we can trust you). There will not be doubles due to not that much interest, and you can use a classic controller too (and you can make your own name with changed controls too), we just prefer using GC controllers, just bring your classic/Wii remote whatever, we don't really care what controller you use as long as doesn't have turbo buttons or anything of that sort.

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
Hi, yes everyone can show up for any of the tournaments that they want to.

Classic controller with Wii remote is fine.

Just something with your name proving that you live in Walnut Creek, like credit card or ID.

Sorry, no doubles. We're running three tournaments concurrently in 4-5 hours, so that takes a lot of time.

Btw, the tournament went great. We went over for time, but the matches were intense. I'll update more later.
Im 15 so I dont have my license yet, would a library card work?

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
Alright so yes you can come for the other 3 tournaments, the thing is that the overall winner of PM and Melee will win $20 (or more depending on amount of entrants in the future), and for smash 4 the top 4 people with overall best results will compete in a final double elim bracket for 4 people, and placings will go with prize money and such. As for ID, I would say sure if you have an ID that shows you live in Walnut creek you can bring it, though if you have some other proof you live in walnut creek, then we would let you play (though I think we can trust you). There will not be doubles due to not that much interest, and you can use a classic controller too (and you can make your own name with changed controls too), we just prefer using GC controllers, just bring your classic/Wii remote whatever, we don't really care what controller you use as long as doesn't have turbo buttons or anything of that sort.
So since I missed the first day im going to be at a disadvantage since its an overall thing?

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
Im 15 so I dont have my license yet, would a library card work?
Actually a library card is perfect, assuming it's the Napa County library.

About your being disadvantaged, not really. Only the top four placers get significant points, and if you're pretty good you should have no problem at this stage. You should come for the competition and fun too though.

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
Actually a library card is perfect, assuming it's the Napa County library.

About your being disadvantaged, not really. Only the top four placers get significant points, and if you're pretty good you should have no problem at this stage. You should come for the competition and fun too though.
Ok thank you so much for the help. My library card is contra costa county though will is still work?

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
My mistake, I got confused. A library card would work for Solano and Napa because then I could check it. How about a school ID? Everyone usually has one of those.

I updated the second post with the tournament results.

Last edited:

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
My mistake, I got confused. A library card would work for Solano and Napa because then I could check it. How about a school ID? Everyone usually has one of those.

I updated the second post with the tournament results.
Yeah I have a school ID but its outdated :/ btw you should upload them to youtube that would be fun. If I want to bring a friend can we request to be seeded apart so we don't meet until later? (Assuming we dont lose too quickly)

Last edited:

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
Outdated school ID is fine. Your friend can join too; tell everyone. Make sure to mention seeding when signing up.
another question, do you have gamecubes to run melee or are you using wiiU for all three games? This would determine whether or not i can use my classic controller for all three or not.

TheNerdyGeek (Blitz)

Smash Rookie
NNID
spencerc
3DS FC
3411-2901-6573
No, we will not be live streaming. As per Evo 2015 rules, Ryu, Roy and Lucas are not allowed.
Will these matches be recorded and uploaded to YouTube? (On the BeniciaLibraryGames channel?) Also, (probably a stupid question) is their a losers' bracket? Just checking, this is my first tourney. Also, is the grand finals best-out-of-five? Because I watched the last grand finals match from the last tourney.

Last edited:

FinalSubSpace

Smash Rookie
i live in brentwood can i get in sm4sh i am 13 with my own gamecube controller and i use normal controls

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
Will these matches be recorded and uploaded to YouTube? (On the BeniciaLibraryGames channel?) Also, (probably a stupid question) is their a losers' bracket? Just checking, this is my first tourney. Also, is the grand finals best-out-of-five? Because I watched the last grand finals match from the last tourney.
We will upload all the matches that we can. However, running the tournament takes priority. You are free to record matches for yourself, just let us know before the tournament. Yes, we will have a loser's bracket. Tournament format is double elmination. Matches depend on the number of players we have. Last time, we had 22 players for Smash 4. We adjust depending on the number of players and setups available, so we will see.

i live in brentwood can i get in sm4sh i am 13 with my own gamecube controller and i use normal controls
You can bring your own controller and setup your controller however you wish.

TheNerdyGeek (Blitz)

Smash Rookie
NNID
spencerc
3DS FC
3411-2901-6573
We will upload all the matches that we can. However, running the tournament takes priority. You are free to record matches for yourself, just let us know before the tournament. Yes, we will have a loser's bracket. Tournament format is double elmination. Matches depend on the number of players we have. Last time, we had 22 players for Smash 4. We adjust depending on the number of players and setups available, so we will see.

You can bring your own controller and setup your controller however you wish.

Ok, we will be recording and thank you for the advice. We'll see you tomorrow! :D (Me and FinalSubSpace are friends)

nick64

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-7634-0775
I heard you guys play normally on the weekdays. Can I come for those sessions too? If so, when are they?
Mondays and Tuesdays from 2:45 PM to 5:00. Same room, but less setups and a LOT less people. There's also many casual players there that are really young too.

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
We usually have one Wii U for Smash 4. Also, no guarantee that there will be people that you can actually play. Players show up as they please. Last week we had over a dozen kids under the age of 10. Honestly I think it's too little reward to come all that way, but it's up to you.

Last edited:

TinDust

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2527-2721-2224
We usually have one Wii U for Smash 4. Also, no guarantee that there will be people that you can actually play. Players show up as they please. Last week we had over a dozen kids under the age of 10. Honestly I think it's too little reward to come all that way, but it's up to you.
I think it's actually worth it because I don't actually own a WiiU and I think I'll benefit from the practice.

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
No games today, if you were interested in coming. In general call the library in advance to find out if there are games that day.

Top Bottom