• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN Ice Climbers MAINS: PLEASE HELP ME IN MY RESEARCH PROJECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Hello everyone! I am currently doing a research project on Brawl for members of the smash lab. They have a couple ideas going around in there and I wanted to test a few of them out for myself. Therefore if you guys would not mind, I would appreciate it if you would help me out.

I would like you, since you know your characters better than I do (probably), to tell me in quick bullet points what the most annoying things for you to play against. I am talking about aspects of match ups that change how the match up plays out. Examples of this would be King Dedede’s standing infinite on Bowser, DK, Mario, Luigi, Samus and himself or grab releases like Marth on Ness/Lucas or Wario’s grab release shenanigans. Basically, anything match up specific where one character has a great advantage over the other character simply because of that move/moves. There’s plenty out there but I want to make sure I have them all! Please list them for me!

Thank you!

(I'm looking for chaingrabs, locks, anything like that character specific).

Problems:
-Single Popo down throw chaingrab

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I dislike it when I get CG'd by other ICs.
I don't like spamming.
I hate when I die cheaply or SD on accident.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
There's nothing ridiculous like Dedede's infinite that can be done to the Ice Climbers but there are a few very annoying things that can make or break a stock due to Nana's stupidity.

• Diddy's banana's make the Diddy vs ICs matchup so stupid. If you get hit with one banana, usually the other Ice Climber can't do much because everything happens so fast. If he throws it at you and you shield it, you're draining shield and could risk getting seperated it the Diddy grabs an Ice Climber and BThrows them. Diddy's bananas are just dumb.

• Platforms are stupid.

• Moving stages aren't good for them because they can't chaingrab, and Nana usually gets herself killed. Most of the time.

• Multi hit moves make the matchup harder. And example is Pikachu's...jab. Yes his jab. If he jabs you over the edge, if you try to DI one IC out, the other is usually getting hit still and this doesn't allow you to Squall or Belay. Very very annoying.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Definitely multi-hit moves. :dizzy:

-Good campers are hard to get around, because one mistake will probably separate or desync (not in a good way) the ICs. If they're good enough, the camper can keep you away or make it impossible to save Nana without losing a stock.

-Metaknight. If he separates you before you get in a grab, he'll most likely gimp Nana.

-Falco. Phantasm (I think that's what it's called) moves him away from a possible grab situation easily. Lasers are a nuisance. Reflector stops blizzards and IBs, which are two of the ICs main means of approaching. His jab is SO fast, making getting a grab difficult once you're in close.

-Basically anyone that can outcamp and/or separate the ICs by means of projectile walls.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

(Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!) :)

Teh Future

Smash Master
metaknight vs ice climbers can feel like playing ssb64 with link, where if you go off the ledge its about 10 to 1 that you're not going to make it back.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
ROB seems to force ICs to avoid their usually best position by spotdodging to dsmash, forcing the IC player to be extreemly careful with their grabs. And IMO seems to make them play alot more in the air due to ROB' s good control by gyro/laser.

Kawaii-Banana to grab is the way to go againt diddy...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Kawaii Banana? Lmfaoooo X)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
High priority jabs, ikes, zss, squirtle etc.

High priority smashes, robs down smash, metaknights dsmash etc.

Blegh, HATE EM

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I'll get to this when my internet stops spazzing...

One interesting note that I can make right now is that Nana moves 6 frames slower than Popo. That makes Nana's fastest move (Jab) come out on frame 10.

This includes using defensive moves like shielding and dodging. This can make powershileding difficult without risking Nana getting hit.

Alsmost every multi-hit move seperates the Ice Climbers due to Nana's terrible DI.

Nana's generally low AI and horrible DI makes it easier to knock her off the stage.

Any character that is good at gimping recoveries in generally destroy

They have the second worst traction in the game. This and their terrible grab range makes shield grabs impossible unless powershielded. It also makes it difficult to punish out of shield at times.

Moving stages disrupt chaingrabs pretty eaisly. Nana also becomes a lot harder to control.

Stages with hazards like Brinstar and Norfair also disrupt chaingrabs.

Platforms are a problem.

The Ice Climbers are one of the slowest moving and slowest falling characters in the air.

Ledgecamping is very hard to deal with.

That's what I can think up of for now.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
When a good MK nows the matchup up... All they do is down air camp followed by tornado onto a stupid
platform... Mk is the hardest matchup for the iceclimbers especially on RAINBOW CRUISE..

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
It's either RC or Norfair. Take your pick for a gay stage for ICs. I love Norfair, but not when playing ICs. >_>

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
lol why in the world would you not instantly ban rainbow when you're playing ice climbers
Depending on the matchup, Nofair could be the better counter pick choice. Against MK I would probably ban RC, but I recently was destroyed by a Link at Norfair because the stage practically caters to his projectiles and the lava assisted his terrible recovery.

In short, tho, both stages are terrible for the ICs.
I actually dislike counter picks in general, especially for the ICs. They have a definite disadvantage at a lot of the counter pick stages. I don't think the stage should be a deciding factor in a match. :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom