• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTENTION SOUTH AUSTRALlANS! URGENT! You can save us all!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The Gamers 4 Croydon party and its founder David Doe plan to contest the safe Labor seat of Croydon, held by Atkinson since 1989, at the 2010 state election. Doe says the reason he’s chosen to stand in the election is “to exert pressure on the Attorney General for South Australia, Michael Atkinson, as he is currently the only Attorney General voting ‘no’ against the introduction of an R18+ classification rating for videogames in Australia.”

To register as a political party, Doe needs to sign up 150 Gamers 4 Croydon members who are over 18, enrolled to vote and live in South Australia. Doe is travelling to Adelaide today to secure the signatures. You can go and show your support for his party and an R18+ classification for videogames by heading down to Rundle Mall between 5.30pm and 6.30pm today.

Do it for your country! Save us all!

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/11/gamer-party-to-run-against-atkinson-at-next-election/

Sieg

Smash Champion
I like it because it's for games, and it's the Seat of my old living residence, Croydon.

More power to the people!

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I used to get quite angry when I heard about games being banned, toned down or rated incorrectly in this country. At some stage last year I decided to actually check up on what was going on and who exactly was causing the ripples (I don't play many of those types of games, so I knew nothing about it). In the end I actually found myself agreeing with a little from both sides (Atkinson and gamers).

Atkinson has willingly participated in numerous debates with gamers regarding this issue. It's extremely rare (from what I've seen) for the majority of gamers who actually want these changes to try to do something about it without calling the guy names, abusing him over the Internet with the super armour of anonymity, and even threaten him. All because they lack the intelligence to actually explain their views in a manner that actually is going to work, or at least get the guy to take you seriously. I have no idea how it isn't blindly obvious to most people how Atkinson, as a Politician, will use things like "I was threatened, insulted, etc, etc" by the people who want these changes and then quote this sort of stuff to the general public in order to make them believe that these types are the vast majority that want the changes, which therefore reaffirm that his views are indeed the correct ones for people who simply don't know anything about gaming. He's a politician, he will always manipulate complete stupidity like this. Unfortunately stupid people appear to be really vocal in this matter, which is a crying shame. It DOES have an effect on people who actually want the changes and are smart enough to engage in a civil debate or democracy with the guy. He is not the devil.

For the record: This isn't directed at anyone on this site (I'm venting), but rather the "OMG I WANT THAT ****ING IDIOT FROM SA DEAD BECAUSE HE'S BANNING MY ****ING GAMES, IMMA GET MAI CHAIN SAW NAO!"people, or the "omg get with the times old man" people. I hope this event gets a good turnout, and I furthermore hope it all remains civil; it really is the best way to get your point across in a matter that ultimately reflects back on violence. You'll never get it in with rage.

Sieg

Smash Champion
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Although I do it a lot I do find it funny when people ***** on the internet about something that's not even out yet.

Good times.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Ugh my post sounds like a jerk now that I've re-read it.... >_>

Sieg, I've been meaning to ask you. >_>

Are you the guy at Rocky that yelled out "QUUUUUEEEENSLAND!!!!" (particularly during the Melee finals) a lot? I thought it may have been you, but I was too hyper on Red Bull to actually concentrate on a general direction for longer than 1 second. ^_^

Sieg

Smash Champion
It would have been one of two people.

Either me or Accel/Ryan.

Was the person commentating? Because I can't remember yelling it out during the Melee finals, but I do remember doing it many other times. Especially after someone from Vic/NSW won a stock against Chris, and then he won one back. I was like "YEAHYYYYYYYUZZZZ QUEEEENNNSSSLAAAANNNND!"

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Hmm, it wasn't Ryan, so I'll just guess it was you then (and my memory sucks, it probably was any match with any QLDer in it). Either way, funny stuff. I need to be louder.

Zero

Smash Hero
"I was threatened, insulted, etc, etc" by the people who want these changes and then quote this sort of stuff to the general public in order to make them believe that these types are the vast majority that want the changes, which therefore reaffirm that his views are indeed the correct ones for people who simply don't know anything about gaming.
Wow, ad hominem right there. Someone throw a logic book at this guy or something!

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
I remember one of his points the R18+ debate in an interview with Good Game being that games developers gain more from having an R18+ restriction on games XD

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey South Aussies! Any of you free around the following times or following locals on Saturday?

* Saturday, 11:30am – 12:30pm at Intencity inside the Marion Shopping Centre
* Saturday, 2:00 – 5:00pm at the Valhalla LAN at the St Clair Recreation Centre

If so, do the whole country a big favor, and go and sign up to make Gamers 4 Croydon able to run in the next SA elections, giving Australia the chance to see Michael "No 18+ Rating for you!" Atkinson lose his seat! Do it for Australia!

Top Bottom