• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Low Tier Mains

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=901]Attention Low Tier Mains[/drupal]

Can we all accept our characters suck, and the only reason we ever win is because:

1. Our opponents don't know the matchup.
2. We are exceptionally more skilled at the game then they are.
3. We got lucky.
4. The matchup is one of the few that is in our favor.

From those 4 things only 1 of them is in our control. When making matchup threads, realize you are not even allowed to take that 1 factor into account. You are to imagine 2 equally skilled players using the characters.

If we all remembered that, and cut the crap about every single mid-high tier character being 55:45 for us or around neutral, then I think the matchup threads would go about a lot smoother.

Granted, in some cases it may be true that a Low Tier character peforms well, I happen to think a solid PT can give a snake with little to no matchup experience a run for his money. But once the other guy learns the matchup it will all be based on skill.

TL;DR If you are going to use a low tier character, you must put in hours of labor to get minimal success, and when you do get that minimal success please keep the bias out of the matchup threads.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
So you don't want successful low-tiers to share their success in low-tier character matchup threads? Does that really make sense?

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I've beaten DK's with Ganon and Yoshi...
I hope you aren't breaking my sarcasm detection.

So you don't want successful low-tiers to share their success in low-tier character matchup threads? Does that really make sense?
There are better places to share it, and the point is i'm not talking about the successful ones. I'm talking about the guys who come in and go "my friend has a great MK, and my Captain Falcon just ***** him, heres how. Therefore: 55:45 Captain Falcon."

Also, theres a difference between saying, "Well-spaced Ivysaur bairs help keep Kirby at bay." Compared to "60:40 PT! Char ***** Kirby with flamethrower, Ivy kills him rly early and stuff, and killing squirtle is like impossible cuz hes so NINJA!"

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
There are better places to share it, and the point is i'm not talking about the successful ones. I'm talking about the guys who come in and go "my friend has a great MK, and my Captain Falcon just ***** him, heres how. Therefore: 55:45 Captain Falcon."

Also, theres a difference between saying, "Well-spaced Ivysaur bairs help keep Kirby at bay." Compared to "60:40 PT! Char ***** Kirby with flamethrower, Ivy kills him rly early and stuff, and killing squirtle is like impossible cuz hes so NINJA!"
What you're describing are stupid posts, not successful ones. Yes, stupid posts should be avoided, but if someone has a legitimate strategy for victory, then them posting it is in your best interests.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Eh??????????
Was that comment serious? Like what you just said is what im fully against. Ive beaten every character with PT, but PT isn't god tier. I've beaten very skilled high tier users with PT, but that doesnt mean anything. Give the tips of how you did it, but remember what a matchup discussion is. It is supposed to be based off of 2 equally skilled opponents, and based on 'facts' such as movesets, ease of killing, etc. Not your personal bias because you can beat MK with Captain Falcon.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
What you're describing are stupid posts, not successful ones. Yes, stupid posts should be avoided, but if someone has a legitimate strategy for victory, then them posting it is in your best interests.
I think you only read my poorly worded TLDR.

What i meant to say is, when you beat a top tier character, tell us how you did it, what worked and what didnt, but keep the bias of "I won" out of the thread, and understand you probably won because of:

1 Your opponents lack of skill.
2. Your opponents lack of matchup knowledge.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think you only read my poorly worded TLDR.

What i meant to say is, when you beat a top tier character, tell us how you did it, what worked and what didnt, but keep the bias of "I won" out of the thread, and understand you probably won because of:

1 Your opponents lack of skill.
2. Your opponents lack of matchup knowledge.
This is very true. However, you can't forget that the majority of members here will show bias towards their mains, it's a natural thing. As Jam Stunna said, it doesn't mean they can't offer valid strategies against a certain character. The key is to pick the valid points out of the biased bull**** and you'll end up with something productive.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
This is very true. However, you can't forget that the majority of members here will show bias towards their mains, it's a natural thing. As Jam Stunna said, it doesn't mean they can't offer valid strategies against a certain character. The key is to pick the valid points out of the biased bull**** and you'll end up with something productive.
This is very true.

Top Bottom