• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack vs Grab Question

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Okay, so the game makes it clear that Attack beats Grab, Grab beats Shield, Shield beats Attack. I've found Attack beats Grab to be true whenever I'm the one doing the grabbing. However, on too many occasions I have been grabbed out of an attack while its active frames are out. Sometimes my attack will phase completely through the opponent, and sometimes the opponent takes the damage but still gets the grab off. I have never successfully grabbed someone out of an attack.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Surely I can't be the only one. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just a glitch?

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
I would say that active frames and hitbox are 2 very different things?

Maybe your spacing was a tight off but just not enough for you to notice. Maybe your active frame were over by 1 or 2 frames and you didn't notice?

What I'm saying is that it's hard to tell what happened based only on "I did that and this happened"...some footages would be really helpful. Also, when something like this happens, I would say to save your replay and watch frame by frame.
Sometime, in the heat of the fight, it's easy to leave out some informations or think that something happened when something else actually did.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
It’s not as simple as attack beats grab, grab beats shield, and shield beats attack. You have to look at frame data and spacing for each character and every situation to accurately predict what will happen. Maybe you spaced your attack wrong. Maybe your opponent has a low startup grab and your attack took longer to start. There are so many variables that go into this

Top Bottom