• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack Cancelling with Marth/Lucina

Mooer

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone this is just a PSA that attack cancelling with Marth/Lucina is an extremely useful mixup that I hope to see more players integrating into their playstyle. If you don't know already, there is an instructional article on attack cancelling on the main page of Smashboards. To summarize, it's when you cancel a tilt-stick input with a jump, resulting in an aerial. The timing is very tight but totally doable if you set jump to one of the triggers.

The reason I want to share is because Marth/Lucina have the special property of being turned around when they perform their Back Aerial (Bair). So, let's say the opponent is in front of you: by inputting a tilt in the opposite direction that you are facing followed by a jump + left stick towards your opponent, you will be able to do an immediate Bair out of standing. The Bair will turn you around towards your opponent again allowing you to follow up any way you like, even with another attack cancelled Bair! This is faster than a Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) Bair. It also has the added benefit of being hard to read because you can do it from standing. It can really catch opponents off guard that might be expecting a Fair or Nair instead. Through a little practice, I can consistently pull this tech off every time and it always feels best with Marth/Lucina because they get spun around during the Bair leading to easy and varied follow ups.

Another use is to perform dash attack with the tilt-stick and cancel it with a jump. Nair will come out unless you input a direction with the left stick. This will cancel your forward momentum making Nair and Fair even safer on shield. Marth/Lucina have a disjointed hitbox making this tech perfect for them to space effectively. This has been a very useful mixup in the neutral game for me, allowing me to safely retreat.

So far, Marth/Lucina are the only characters that I found really benefited from this tech. I don't use it for any of my other characters. It's easier that it seems, you just have to learn the rhythm and you're set. If you haven't learned attack cancelling yet, I highly recommend learning asap! You'll have that many more options up your sleeve for when the situation calls for it. Best of luck!

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Thanks for this!! I hadn't found very much use for attack cancelling yet, but I'll work on the stuff you've mentioned! The ability to do a bair from standing and facing the opponent wasn't something I realized could be done through attack cancelling but that's wonderful.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Tried practicing this in training for the first time. That's a difficult tech.

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
If the first hit of nair hits on shield it can confirm into a shield break for a free stock. Be sure to condition the opponent first by throwing out a quick tilt after hitting nair first (I like ftilt for that).

Run up -> attack cancel nair sets up a lot of stuff like this.

Im still new with the tech but its promosing for sure.

EDIT: Also its a great option for twhen the opponent crosses yuo up. Nair out of shield will not hit opponents behind you due to its angle. However, you can do an attack canceled nair to turn lucina around to hit people behind you while in shield (other options are ftilt/up b or bair but the nair is one of the fastest options).

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Started incorporating the attack cancel bair into my matches. Great kill move when you're opponent is expecting a smash.

Top Bottom