• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATs for Charizard?

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Other than the fundementals like L-canceling, WDing, RAR, and DACUS, what ATs does charizard have and which ones are most improtant to his metagame? I have heard that he has something called glide canceling and I was wondering if there were any other important techs to master.

QuincyJones

Smash Rookie
You should be able to do b-reverse on both the glide and the glide cancel, which allows you to ledge stall and mixup your landing game. Wavebounce glide cancel is pretty cute too for feigning going on to stage and then actually grabbing the ledge. Also platform canceling your glide air from both above and below the platform will let you mix up your approaches. Learn the exact distance that glair will take you to still be able to grab the ledge as well as how to ride up walls with it precisely to sweetspot for mixing up your recovery. Being able to do pivots for pivot f-tilt and pivot jab and whatnot are critical as well.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
You should be able to do b-reverse on both the glide and the glide cancel, which allows you to ledge stall and mixup your landing game. Wavebounce glide cancel is pretty cute too for feigning going on to stage and then actually grabbing the ledge. Also platform canceling your glide air from both above and below the platform will let you mix up your approaches. Learn the exact distance that glair will take you to still be able to grab the ledge as well as how to ride up walls with it precisely to sweetspot for mixing up your recovery. Being able to do pivots for pivot f-tilt and pivot jab and whatnot are critical as well.
Is there a guide to all that somewhere?

QuincyJones

Smash Rookie
There are tons of guides on b-reverse and wavebounce but I can just tell you straight up how to do them: to B-reverse just tap back on the analog stick immediately after pressing a b move, so to b-reverse your glide you input down-b and then immediately away from the direction you were facing. Same with cancelling it. For wavebounce you tap away from the direction you're facing, let the stick reset to neutral and input your b move(in our example this would be pressing b to cancel glide) and then immediately input away from the direction you're facing once again. This will cause you to reverse your momentum while still facing the same direction.

I have never seen any guides on the glair ledge cancels, just play around with controlling your glide angles and figure out where you have to be to glair in to the platform and slide off, canceling the lag. The glair from above the platform is much easier than the one from below.

Even if there were guides, you'd still need to practice and make muscle memory out of it anyways so I recommend just going in to training and messing around for a few hours with gliding and controlling your momentum.

I almost forgot one more useful trick with b-reversing your glide cancel: you can use this to avoid opponents and go immediately to the ledge by gliding above your opponent then down to the ledge and b-reversing when you're right next to the ledge to instantly grab it. This is more of a mixup than something you'd do often and is pretty dangerous since you lose your jumps if you're knocked out of glide.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Is there a guide to all that somewhere?
Well, there's a text guide written by the Zard Skype Chat that goes over some of the new AT's but we haven't written the full section yet because school caught up with us. :/
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-train-your-dragon-meta-game-guide-for-charizard-3-0-2.365650/

Main stuff to consider is definitely glide canceling, both B reversing and wave bouncing. Both are useful for recovery mixups and for combos as well.

Other stuff to consider is using Glair (glide attack) to waveland onto platforms (abbreviated GLanding). You can practice this by standing under the platform, short hop, glide immediately, wait just a moment, then Glair. You should waveland onto the platform above you with quite a bit of horizontal momentum.

Shield dropping is also amazing since it makes your platform game that much stronger, but that's something that is really really hard to explain so I would recommend looking up a guide on how to do it.

Glide camping is super useful too, just look in the ledge section of the guide and you should find out what I'm talking about.

Oh also, you can just Flame thrower to instantly grab the ledge, though it is quite situational. Roll into the ledge so that your back is facing the ledge and you're as close as possible to the ledge. Just press B and you should fall right to the ledge.

You can also dash attack the ledge, then hold into the stage and after the dash attack finishes, you'll turn around and fall to the ledge.

Probably the last thing to learn is Bair wave landing. Short hop Bair has a cool thing about it that if you don't fast fall it, the end lag of Bair will make it so it is super easy to perfect waveland (waveland on the ground with your analog stick perfectly to the left or right), because right as you finish the Bair, you'll have like 2 frames to perfect waveland so the timing works out quite nice (as well as Bair makes your model waveland more easily so perfect wave landing is much easier).

Other than that there isn't much else, just work on RAR Nair, Ftilt spacing, and jab anti airs and you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions! :D

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Love reading your post on charizard stuff hatz. You are truely the dragon king. My charizard wrecks now thanks to that guide.

Top Bottom