• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATLUS threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Never said it was only about SMT. It's about ATLUS in general. Just to add some speculation. For all we know Sakurai could go for an EO character if Nintendo bought ATLUS. We can't be sure what will happen.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was wondering this to myself since researching on google/wikipedia didn't make it completely clear. What franchises do Atlus own?

I know...

Shin Megami Tensei
Etrian Odyssey
Trauma Center
Catherine

Any other notable ones?

Never said it was only about SMT. It's about ATLUS in general. Just to add some speculation. For all we know Sakurai could go for an EO character if Nintendo bought ATLUS. We can't be sure what will happen.
If Nintendo buys Atlus I think it's almost a given that if anything we would get a Shin Megami Tensei rep. I mean there have been plenty Shin Megami Tensei games (the main series) on Nintendo consoles and it's Atlus most iconic series.

I think it would be incredibly odd if Sakurai were to choose Etrian Oddesey over Shin Megami Tensei for a smash bros rep.

Etrian Odyssey would probably get an assist trophy, with the potential for an actual rep in smash bros 5.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I was wondering this to myself since researching on google/wikipedia didn't make it completely clear. What franchises do Atlus own?

I know...

Shin Megami Tensei
Etrian Odyssey
Trauma Center
Catherine

Any other notable ones?
Might as well add Persona up there. Even though it's part of the SMT series.

If Nintendo buys Atlus I think it's almost a given that if anything we would get a Shin Megami Tensei rep. I mean there have been plenty Shin Megami Tensei games (the main series) on Nintendo consoles and it's Atlus most iconic series.

I think it would be incredibly odd if Sakurai were to choose Etrian Oddesey over Shin Megami Tensei for a smash bros rep.

Etrian Odyssey would probably get an assist trophy, with the potential for an actual rep in smash bros 5.
Which is why i never said anything about an ATLUS rep being playable either.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I read that Atlus is being auctioned off today, is that true?

I saw a forum post on gamespot saying that Microsoft had put a $200 million bid on Atlus, thankfully it turned out to be fake. I'd be worried what a western company would do with Atlus. Would they *get* them?

Not to mention if Microsoft bought them I'd be wondering if they did so because they actually value the developer or because they want in on the Japanese market.

AfricanSanta

Smash Cadet
i'd be so pissed if Microsoft got their disgusting hands on ATLUS.

It'd be like Rare all over again......

Anyways, if Atlus gets purchased by Nintendo, it seems most likely that the only series that'll get a rep is SMT. Etrian Odyssey might get a rep, but I feel that by the time Atlus would get purchased and everything is settled, the roster would be pretty close to completion. They'd probably only be able to give on franchise a rep, if any at all.

Even then, this is all assuming that Nintendo purchases Atlus.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
I would totally support Jack Frost. He seems like a nice fit. :grin:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
He would definitely make a good fit for the universe, but I think he has much less of a chance because his line of games are exclusive to Playstation. Jack Frost and Flynn have a much higher chance IMO.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Teddie is a very Smashey design but yeah, Persona has been a Sony franchise up to this point. Unless you count SMT if... as Persona 0 :awesome:

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
He would definitely make a good fit for the universe, but I think he has much less of a chance because his line of games are exclusive to Playstation. Jack Frost and Flynn have a much higher chance IMO.
Yeah that's unfortunately true. Oh how I want to play Persona 4 Golden on my 3ds...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I have a good feeling Nintendo will purchase Atlus. Too niche? Please! Unless your name is Square-Enix, which JRPG devs are relatively obscure? Besides, Nintendo has Monolith and Intelligent Systems and there games have seen great success with the latter getting a Smash spot. And what happened as a result of their obscurity to the West? Fan favorites! Game localization!

That's sadly the worst problem posing an Atlus character's inclusion; obscurity. I'd be ashamed if they got bought out and Sakurai didn't capitalize on it. It would be such a propitious opportunity.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Have you seen this? Apparentely 20 companies (Sega being one of them) made a bid on Atlus to the tune of 20 billion yen.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08...-bid-on-atlus-around-200-billion-yen-offered/

I guess with 20 companies there's a pretty good chance that one of them was Nintendo. Are Nintendo capable of bidding 20 billion yen? (I'm guessing they would but I'm not so hot on the finance side of things)

I don't think I would mind if Sega purchased them, they have a good relationship with Nintendo...so I imagine we would still see many games released on Nintendo systems. We might even see some Persona games.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't care much about who buys them as long as support for Nintendo handhelds remains strong and SMT x FE is still a thing.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
As long as I may still be able to play SMT and Persona games, I'll be happy. Thinking about if Nintendo or Sony makes the purchase, well then some one misses out either way which is dissapointing. My slight Nintendo bias makes me prefer if Nintendo bought them, but maybe a 3rd party like Sega wouldn;t be so bad afterall. The only exclusive that may tempt me with Sony atm would be Persona 5

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Cmon 3rd party company or Nintendo you gotta buy Atlus, I won't be able to stand it if EO games no longer end up Nintendo shiz, mostly because EO is handheld based and I own Nintnedo handhelds lol.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It will go down like this. If sony places a bid Nintendo would out bid them easily. However, if neither bid then it will be a third party to buy ATLUS. Specifically SEGA.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Nintendo and Atlus seem to currently have a great relationship, though that doesn't imply that Nintendo will definitely try to pick them up unless to your point, Sony or Microsoft (very unlikely) made the first move. I've heard it thrown around quite often that Gung Ho may acquire Atlus.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
i'd be so pissed if Microsoft got their disgusting hands on ATLUS.
Seconded. And I hope I'm not necroposting! I just found out about this -or not, maybe I did a post here before? I can't remember-.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
With today's announcement of Persona Q for the 3DS, every major character from Persona 3 and 4 is now technically eligible for Smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfqRXPXbQQ

I'm super hyped for this game. The new trailers looks very very very very awesome and promising! And I'm sure it will be canon.

Too bad ATLUS is now owned by SEGA. Would have loved to see Minato or Yu as a playable character to attract other type of gamers a la Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom