• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atheism vs. Theism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, I decided to make a whole new topic. Leave the abortion place to the abortion debating, and bring the religion debating here. As i've said before, I'll be fighting for the atheism side in the one.

O'dul

Smash Journeyman
hope helps me get through things cuz to me win you get down to it hope is what will get you to get back up and fight to the end cuz with out hope i would of stoped a long time ago

O'dul

Smash Journeyman
so what is hope to you man and dont tell me it is beliveing in something thats not there

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ugh.. I'm getting a migraine.. using too much insight and logic can do that to you.. :(

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Religious debate will stay in the abortion topic. The two are intertwined. You can't talk about abortion without talking about Xianity. Only Xians believe that a fetus is a full-fledged human the instant of conception, therefore they believe abortion is murder. So you have to disprove Xianity if you want to try to convince Xians that abortion is ok. And you cite Xianity if you are an Xian who wants to say their pro-life views. So it's unavoidable. Anyway, you can't really stop the debate once it's started...and just move it to here. People will still post in the abortion topic.

-B

Liquid Entropy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't really feel a pounding need to "convert" others to atheism. I just can't stand people bringing it into topix as fact. Here be the higherarchy of theological evils to me:

a) Orthodox religion. If your a high roller, I don't care, keep it to yourself. Don't pimp your faith to me, I don't want it. Don't try to bring it into any other topic, it doesn't hold water, I'll rip through it like paper.
b)Anybody with a moral highground. I mean really, come on. Anybody who has a "holdier than though" attitude with me is gunna get some love. What do you expect? Those people who don't know what they're about, but feel that they're above others on virtue of the fact that they believe in something, well that's just stupid. "Believing" in the faceless unknown makes you prone to denial, that is all.
c)the agnostic. Those who hope/believe in a god only because they want to. Those who would have a personal faith for their own personal reasons. That's totally cool and ok by me. Live long and prosper, the best of luck to you all.
d)atheists. Good timez

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
I agree.

Any Xian churchie who believes in a specific sect of Xianity: The worst type of religious nut.
Fundie Roman Catholic: The 2nd worst. These guys are the most annoying. But they aren't the worst, because there's only two truly worthy positions:
The Bible is word for word true
The Bible is completely fake
Any other thought is pretty irrational. At least these fundies have the conviction to actually stand behind their beliefs.
Anyone who is Xian but hasn't ever really thought about their beliefs: 3rd worst. Sample line from one of them "I'm Xian. Well, I don't know. I kind of am, but I'm kind of not. I don't know." Pick your **** belief already!
Next evil religious people are those who are agnostic just because they aren't strong enough to not have beliefs. They believe just cuz they want to. Dumbasses.
Now we have the atheists who just reject any thought of anything supernatural or higher power simply because they've conditioned themselves to see all of it as BS, since 99% of it is. I don't mind them that much, but they aren't the best.
Next come atheists who reject that stuff, but they've actually thought about it and consider it to be unlikely. These guys are the best people.
Tied with them are the agnostics, like me who believe that some of that stuff is probably true. It just seems somewhat likely.

that's my scale of religion. I left out all those other religions.

-B

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
too many of these **** topic. and whats the point of argueming anymore? we already have enough arguemnt to hold of christians for an eternity in the abortion topic. theres no point if fixing something that isnt broken. sma ething with this arguement. there is not point in arguing when there's no more arguement to be won.

Liquid Entropy

BRoomer
BRoomer
there's what... 2... 3 of them even remotely active. Some people like discussion of a more refined degree. I'll curse, say wang, and call people "gay" more if you think that would be better. (I do rather curse alot already, but I dunno, its just part of my speech patern)

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
The way i see it. If god's so powerful, why is he dead? and what does hope have to do with religion. I can hope. but hope is when you very strongly wish for something to happen

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bumblebee, abortion and religion aren't always linked. Not all atheists are pro-abortion/choice, and not all theists are pro-life. Also, many atheists believe in ghosts and things like that. I'm not one of them. I was raised as a roman catholic, and, seeing it all as nonsense, I became an atheist. I didn't do it because I could. I studied xianity, saw it all as false, and.. yeah. Here I am. I leanr a lot from people in atheist chatrooms, too, which only enhances my hold on atheism.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Yes, Crono. But the point is that just about no atheists are going to object to a very early abortion, since most sane people aren't going to object to destroying a non-human bundle of cells. However, a Xian is going to object, if they are a bible-thumper, they will object, because they will believe that life starts at conception.
This misguided viewpoint is why religion is going to be an unavoidable issue in an abortion debate.

-B

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Bumble Bee Tuna:
<STRONG>Religious debate will stay in the abortion topic. The two are intertwined. You can't talk about abortion without talking about Xianity. Only Xians believe that a fetus is a full-fledged human the instant of conception, therefore they believe abortion is murder. So you have to disprove Xianity if you want to try to convince Xians that abortion is ok. And you cite Xianity if you are an Xian who wants to say their pro-life views. So it's unavoidable. Anyway, you can't really stop the debate once it's started...and just move it to here. People will still post in the abortion topic.

-B</STRONG>
Actually that is very untrue. Abortion has nothing to do with the process of terminating a embryo, but then we eat embryos all the time. Eggs anyone?

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Let's ressurect this thread.

Anyway, I want everyone to give me a reason you all believe in YOUR religion? Why do you worship your god or gods rather than anothers? If you lived in a different part of the world with a different family that worshipped a different god, do you still think you would believe in your god or gods?

I, for one, find it hard to believe anyone has any real reason to be attached to their religion as it just happened by chance. The same goes for patriotism of your country. It is totally dependent on the country and society you grow up in.

If you don't believe your religion because of any proof, then I would seriously reconsider your faith.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Thanks guys. You made me close a valid topic from 2001 because leaving it open will have people reply to members who shouldn't be held accountable for things they said so long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom